1994-2004 V-6 3.8 and 3.9L V6 Mustangs

Lowering Springs

Search this Thread

Old 11/30/04, 02:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sup Y'all?
I just got my new Steeda catalog today in the mail and I was thinkin about buying a set of Steeda Sport Springs for when I get some new 18" wheels next spring and I want to lower the car about 1.25" to give it a better looking stance and to fill up the wheel wells. I know Steeda makes great suspension parts so I hope these will not disappoint. My question is, how will it affect ride quality and how hard is it to install them? (I want to save some money by tackling the job myself). Thanx.
Old 11/30/04, 04:26 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Buddy, a member of the UK forum did this, but with Ford C springs, he got a shop to do the work for him, 4 hours it took apparently
This is what he said......

As i mentioned i find stock suspension too soft..nose dives on braking etc
Gene Ford racing have a Bullit kit for $399 that includes new sway bars...but to be honest I found out that the stock sway bars are virtually identical so why bother...instead I got Ford Racing C springs and the Bullitt (Tokico) shocks $297 + $179 air freight (they billed freight seperate so duty and charges were only £43!)

Got them fitted this week and what a transformation!! Whole car feels much tighter (so much so that what I had thought previously was body flex over bumps is not half as bad....so some of it must just have been the soggy stock set up). Steering is crisper and car is far easier to drive and corner fast...you can feel what the car is doing so much better.
Highly recommended...I am very pleased
Car is lowered by about 1 inch...(No new caster camber plates needed)
Looks visually better but I wouldnt go any lower!!! Bottom of car now doesnt have great ground clearance... I will have to be careful

Just a tip...The C springs are 200-300 lbs variable rate at back and 650 linear at front (compared to 200 and 450 for stock). If you like a really firm ride go for 800lbs at front. The back is now solid but to be fair at the front the 650lbs with the Tokico shocks makes the ride firm but not hard edge "go kart like" firm.

Its probably a good balance ..Too firm and the body flex might be exaggerated.

Hope this helps....
Old 12/1/04, 01:49 PM
Bullitt Member

If you need any specific questions answered about the install let me know...I've done it before.

Thanks
Old 12/1/04, 09:54 PM
Bullitt Member

So should we go with FORD C Springs or Steeda? I am getting my lowered for XMAS.
Old 12/2/04, 12:59 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
If you want a tighter handling ride, but still a smoothnormal cruise, i recommend eibach prokit or any progressive rate spring. Progressives get stiffer as they compress as where the ford "C" springs are a linear, meaning same stiffness ALL the time. I currently have "C" springs, and they are very good. They are cheaper than the steeda's as well, but I believe the steedas are a progressive as well.

You will get the most out of any spring when combined with a good strut/shock. I am running the mach1 shocks right now (tokico premiums, same as on a bullit) and they do rather well. I wish I had spent a lil more and got the Bistein HD struts or Tokico Illumina 5-way adjustables instead though, they provide much more capability.

You can get the tokico's off ebay for about $420 before shipping, which is a good deal on 5-way struts/shocks.

Also, here is a great link on how to install springs on an sn95 car.
http://users.ev1.net/~spreadman/Pages/install.html
Old 12/2/04, 09:50 AM
GT Member

I ran progressive springs on another car and I'd recommend it for a daily driver. Eibach is probably your best for the money.

Good call on the 1.25in lower. That'll look great regardless