1994-2004 V-6 3.8 and 3.9L V6 Mustangs

Fuel injection to carburetor

Search this Thread

Old 6/17/14, 08:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel injection to carburetor

Has anybody ever taken a fuel injected motor and made it carbureted? If so how do you go about doing this?
Old 6/17/14, 08:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
It would highly depend on the engine, for it is a simple thing (relatively) to take, say, a '93 5.0 and turn it into a carbureted engine. Intake swap, carb on top, distributor with points and condenser, or an electronic ignition system distributor, coil, plugs, wires, fuel pressure regulator, piping, linkage... think that's it. You'd basically use the block and such, but bolt on an, oh, '84 setup on it (maybe?). You may also be talking a different cam, I'm not sure at that point. The firing order, though, of the 5.0/302 motor is one of two, and hadn't changed in decades, so it's just a matter of timing, spark, and fuel delivery.

Doing that to the 4.6, as an example, would not be nearly as easy, for those types of parts would be more of a pioneering job than 'simple' bolt ons.

But why would you? I mean, if it's an FI car, it's already going to be tuned pretty well, be emissions legal, and if you want moar powah, well, things(tm) can be done to that pretty nicely and not go back to carb.

Then again, I don't know what the thought is that makes this a desire. Drag Racing maybe? Or are you restomodding something and wanna put the older 5.0/302 motor in it?

Last edited by houtex; 6/17/14 at 08:34 PM.
Old 6/17/14, 09:28 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rodsoccer2
Has anybody ever taken a fuel injected motor and made it carbureted? If so how do you go about doing this?
I'd love to know how. But I don't know how pervasive the ECU is in terms of all its sensors and how it 'thinks'.
For example, how would disconnecting the fuel injection sensors affect ignition timing, VCT, and subsequent 'adjustments' it makes.
I think probably the only way is to build a separate engine that not only has carbs (and stacks!!) but also has a distributor. Therefore you can go entirely old school and tweak timing and mixture without a ECU or computer.
If I had the dough I'd do that for my 'fun' Mustang.

Last edited by cdynaco; 6/17/14 at 09:30 PM.
Old 6/23/14, 05:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm interested as to why you want to do this.
Old 6/23/14, 06:55 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
I'd love to know how. But I don't know how pervasive the ECU is in terms of all its sensors and how it 'thinks'. For example, how would disconnecting the fuel injection sensors affect ignition timing, VCT, and subsequent 'adjustments' it makes. I think probably the only way is to build a separate engine that not only has carbs (and stacks!!) but also has a distributor. Therefore you can go entirely old school and tweak timing and mixture without a ECU or computer. If I had the dough I'd do that for my 'fun' Mustang.
It would be only half the battle. A 4.6L will run with a carb just as easy as injection with an intake. But then you would have to either get the PCM to only run the ignition system or have some type of stand alone ignition system with a crank trigger of some type. All very possible but not cheap or easy. And who knows if there would be any advantage whatsoever.
Old 6/23/14, 08:08 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Supersnake04
I'm interested as to why you want to do this.
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
And who knows if there would be any advantage whatsoever.
EMP proof! Why else?

I tore down my first engine at 12 or 13, did all my own dirt bike work, rebuilt an Olds 400 in my 442, became a DOHC/cam timing/dual throat Weber expert on a Lotus 907. All self taught. And I didn't need a freaking computer tuner or an ECU.
All you needed was an ear, pants (drive by the seat of your...), and the incredible technology wonder called a timing light (still have one). lol
Oh - and for stacks/dual throat Webers, a Uni-Syn (still have one from my Suzuki GT-380 3cyl 2-stroke and my J-H/Lotus days...).

Attached Thumbnails Fuel injection to carburetor-cobra-stackw.jpg  

Last edited by cdynaco; 6/23/14 at 08:16 PM.