1994-2004 V-6 3.8 and 3.9L V6 Mustangs

DIY or shop project?

Search this Thread

Old 1/31/13, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY or shop project?

Hey there guys,

I have a 1994 Mustang V6 whose Fuel Injector and Fuel Pump have gone out. I found the parts online relatively inexpensive, but the butt kicker will be labor at the shop. I wanted to know if this is something that you all think I can do myself or do I need to take it to the shop. Any ideas or experience out there?

Thanks a bunch guys!!!
Old 1/31/13, 11:43 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depends on much experience you have.
Old 1/31/13, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by shurtual86
Depends on much experience you have.
I do not have lots of experience. I decided I may just have someone clean or replace the injectors, but the fuel pump replacement seems pretty forward. Would that be accurate to say?
Old 1/31/13, 12:01 PM
Bullitt Member

make sure you have a fuel line disconect tool
Old 1/31/13, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by dcpirani
make sure you have a fuel line disconect tool
For the fuel pump replacement, right? Okay, now I do not have jack stands for the back of the car and to hold the tank when I loosen the bands. All I have is a 2 ton jack. Do I need to get jack stands to do this? Thanks...
Old 2/2/13, 01:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You should ALWAYS use jackstands any time you go under a suspended vehicle. I use jackstands when I change my oil. It is that serious.

Onto your question... Injectors take very little knowledge to be able to replace. On my 00 GT it takes a 7mm socket. That's it.

As for the pump, it is straight forward, but dropping the tank can be a pain especially if you have a lot of fuel in it. Remember to grab the disconnect tool. I have used two different types, and I suggest getting the ones that are just the circle that you push into the coupling. The ones with handles just get in the way. You will have to push pretty hard to get the tool in, but once it is, the line should just pull out.

Good luck, and DO NOT GO UNDER YOUR CAR WITHOUT JACKSTANDS

He was working on his Cobra last night putting the new clutch in his car when the vehicle shifted and it fell on top of him crushing him. He yelled for help but those around were unable to get the car off of him and when paramedics arrived he was pronounced dead. I am so grateful that I had the chance to be his friend and only wished that I could have been there with him last night.
Old 2/2/13, 02:28 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fuel pump is easy like everybody has said. But you also will need to get the filler grommet. You need to replace it everytime you take the filler next out. And ford dealership will have it in stock.

Also drain your fuel, it will make it a lot easier. Trust me.
Old 2/2/13, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by cntchds
You should ALWAYS use jackstands any time you go under a suspended vehicle. I use jackstands when I change my oil. It is that serious.

Onto your question... Injectors take very little knowledge to be able to replace. On my 00 GT it takes a 7mm socket. That's it.

As for the pump, it is straight forward, but dropping the tank can be a pain especially if you have a lot of fuel in it. Remember to grab the disconnect tool. I have used two different types, and I suggest getting the ones that are just the circle that you push into the coupling. The ones with handles just get in the way. You will have to push pretty hard to get the tool in, but once it is, the line should just pull out.

Good luck, and DO NOT GO UNDER YOUR CAR WITHOUT JACKSTANDS
Wow! I am sorry to hear about what happened to your buddy. That is sad. With that said, I guess I need to purchase some jack stands. Thanks
Old 2/2/13, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by 1999Pony
Fuel pump is easy like everybody has said. But you also will need to get the filler grommet. You need to replace it everytime you take the filler next out. And ford dealership will have it in stock.

Also drain your fuel, it will make it a lot easier. Trust me.
Okay, I ordered the new electronic fuel pump online. I have not purchased injectors yet because as few people told me they may not need to be replaced, but only cleaned and to use Seafoam in the tank to do it.
Old 2/3/13, 01:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by devanslive
Wow! I am sorry to hear about what happened to your buddy. That is sad. With that said, I guess I need to purchase some jack stands. Thanks
Just quoted that site for relevance to the Mustang world, but I didn't know the guy. No matter what you are going to need a jack free to lower the tank anyway, so two jackstands should be just what you need.

Good luck.