1994-2004 V-6 3.8 and 3.9L V6 Mustangs

Best way to increase HP

Search this Thread

Old 3/14/11, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by harristotle
Not spinning the tires at every stoplight lol. I have my fun don't get me wrong, but it's not like I'm hammering it constantly.
Hm, I suppose I should slow down on the hammering, though I don't do it a lot. It's my first 'Stang, so I'm trying to get used to the thrill kind of. >_<
Also, how mechanically inclined do you consider yourself? You can save some big time money if you do things like the rear end gears yourself.
I'd say I'm not very mechanically inclined. I only started getting into cars a while ago and there really isn't anybody around to help me with them.
Old 3/14/11, 06:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Red X
Hm, I suppose I should slow down on the hammering, though I don't do it a lot. It's my first 'Stang, so I'm trying to get used to the thrill kind of. >_<

I'd say I'm not very mechanically inclined. I only started getting into cars a while ago and there really isn't anybody around to help me with them.
I can relate to that, I still have to drop the hammer every once in a while

As far as working with them, I would recommend picking up a factory service manual for your car off of ebay. They usually aren't too bad. I've got one for my 95 Thunderbird, my 96 Cobra, and I bought my best friends 95 Mustang after he sold his Cobra... they are VERY helpful. Start small and work your way up. 2 years ago I hadn't done much more than change the oil and spark plugs, now I've got a tranny swap, timing chains, oil pump, and a number of other projects under my belt.
Old 3/14/11, 08:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

K. Your never gonna hit 300 without boost or juice. You can start with a windstar intake. It's good for about 15 hp. The cai/tuner/gears. At least 4.10s to give you some giddy up. Then long tubes. You will get roughly 40-50 hp if you do all of these mods
Old 3/14/11, 08:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah, I wish I could talk down the price on that. If I could, I'd probably trade in my V6 for that. Of course, I'd have to do something about that low MPG...

200-300hp and around $1k is what I'd like to spend. Thanks.
You are in dreamland if you think your gonna hit 300 for 1k. I have a new edge 4.6 and I have a pp plenum,cai,70mm tb,shorty header(waste of money) and I might have 300 at the crank. Boost or juice is the only way to get to your goals. Juice will get you to 250 and its in your price range
Old 3/14/11, 08:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Not spinning the tires at every stoplight lol. I have my fun don't get me wrong, but it's not like I'm hammering it constantly.

Also, how mechanically inclined do you consider yourself? You can save some big time money if you do things like the rear end gears yourself.
Rear gears is not a hobbyist job. It is a very intricate job to do. Get a pro to do it or find an 8.8 t-lok with that gear in it already. A hobbyist can do the intake and manifold and so on but gears is tough
Old 3/14/11, 08:08 PM

I can relate to that, I still have to drop the hammer every once in a while

As far as working with them, I would recommend picking up a factory service manual for your car off of ebay. They usually aren't too bad. I've got one for my 95 Thunderbird, my 96 Cobra, and I bought my best friends 95 Mustang after he sold his Cobra... they are VERY helpful. Start small and work your way up. 2 years ago I hadn't done much more than change the oil and spark plugs, now I've got a tranny swap, timing chains, oil pump, and a number of other projects under my belt.
I believe I still do have the booklet (and CD) that came with the car.
Originally Posted by Everett
K. Your never gonna hit 300 without boost or juice. You can start with a windstar intake. It's good for about 15 hp. The cai/tuner/gears. At least 4.10s to give you some giddy up. Then long tubes. You will get roughly 40-50 hp if you do all of these mods
Alright, 40-50 still puts my over 200 and that's fine with me.
Old 3/14/11, 08:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ya. If you do them all you will feel a significant increase and still be reasonable on fuel. Good luck with your build
Old 3/14/11, 08:31 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm not talking about the owners manual, I'm talking the no kidding Ford service manual for the shop tech's like this one, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-...#ht_1510wt_931
Old 3/14/11, 09:05 PM

Ya. If you do them all you will feel a significant increase and still be reasonable on fuel. Good luck with your build
Thanks. Was your intake around $400 like I'm seeing while searching?
I'm not talking about the owners manual, I'm talking the no kidding Ford service manual for the shop tech's like this one, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-...#ht_1510wt_931
Oh jeez, I really am so behind on all this stuff... I will surely have to get one of those. Dang.
Old 3/17/11, 11:24 PM

Advice will come from many directions. Locate your nearest reputable Mustang dyno shop and realize that you will need to establish a relationship with them. Be sure to pick the best. I am in Northern Virginia and during the course of the last visit to the shop I met a guy who had driven up over night from Florida and another from Tennessee, so the best are really sought out.
I think the most common recommendations will incorporate your basic bolt-ons with a SCT tuner as a good start. From there, keeping with those modifications you can work at base engine improvements for a while before leaving naturally aspirated power.
My very quick recommendations to gain power would be to start off with a Cold Air Intake, Under Drive Pulleys, VAP Intake Spacer and a True Dual Exhaust. Next purchase 3.73 or higher ratio gears and a Tuner and have them installed and dyno tested.
That's basic and on the "cheaper" side. Hope its helpful and have fun. I have had a blast working on mine the last year or so. Learned a lot from these guys on the forum.
Old 3/22/11, 05:03 PM
GT Member

I would get a cold air intake and dual exhaust. Anything extreme like super charger and cam swapping, you probably want to consider doing a v8 swap, or just for fun, a 2010-11 v6 swap. That way you'll have a dependable 300hp daily driver, and can add all the hardcore stuff later for even more HP than you would have gotten souping up your old engine.

One thing to think about though is that your differential and transmission wasn't designed to handle 300hp, so eventually they will fail in you. Then again, I'm going off of what I know about 94 v6es.
Old 3/25/11, 10:53 AM

I'm thinking of just going with a GT. I'd just like to know, for those of you who have had both a V6 and GT, how much of a difference do you notice in MPG and how often you fill up?

Also, I made a pro-con list for getting a GT, so any advice on that would be nice.

Pros:
- Much more power, which is what I want (secretly crave).
- Faster.
- Physically/cosmetically more appealing.
- 6-CD changer. No more constantly changing CDs manually. Ugh.
Cons:
- I'm sure I'll have to fill up more.
- Slightly higher car insurance.

That's all I got.
Old 9/1/12, 04:32 PM
Bullitt Member

What year model Windstar intake? Is it a direct bolt on?
Old 12/29/12, 03:37 AM

I'm thinking of just going with a GT. I'd just like to know, for those of you who have had both a V6 and GT, how much of a difference do you notice in MPG and how often you fill up?

Also, I made a pro-con list for getting a GT, so any advice on that would be nice.

Pros:
- Much more power, which is what I want (secretly crave).
- Faster.
- Physically/cosmetically more appealing.
- 6-CD changer. No more constantly changing CDs manually. Ugh.
Cons:
- I'm sure I'll have to fill up more.
- Slightly higher car insurance.

That's all I got.
I made it from ft Knox Kentucky to hazelwood Missouri on one tank of gas in my v6 stepping into it doing speeds of 80-100 the whole way but in my gt I had to fill up in Evansville Indiana because I had my foot in it so if that tells you anything now keep in mind both cars I'd only use one tank if I stayed out of it n did speed limit n used cruise control. But also keep in mind every three thousand miles I gave it full tune up n new tires
Old 12/29/12, 06:11 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by mustangfreak8812
I made it from ft Knox Kentucky to hazelwood Missouri on one tank of gas in my v6 stepping into it doing speeds of 80-100 the whole way but in my gt I had to fill up in Evansville Indiana because I had my foot in it so if that tells you anything now keep in mind both cars I'd only use one tank if I stayed out of it n did speed limit n used cruise control. But also keep in mind every three thousand miles I gave it full tune up n new tires
might I ask why you would do that? Hell, I don't even change my oil every 3000, much less do a tune up and get tires.
Old 12/29/12, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by StangMahn

might I ask why you would do that? Hell, I don't even change my oil every 3000, much less do a tune up and get tires.
Because its what helped me maintain such good gas mileage n kept my motor running strong as hell while I was in the army
Old 12/29/12, 06:47 AM

I did my best to maintain my vehicles and keep them in the best shape I could so that I had a reliable vehicle to make it home to my wife and kids in when I'd take leave
Old 12/29/12, 07:11 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by mustangfreak8812
I did my best to maintain my vehicles and keep them in the best shape I could so that I had a reliable vehicle to make it home to my wife and kids in when I'd take leave
nothing wrong with that but pure over kill, to each there own though.
Old 12/29/12, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by skunk21

nothing wrong with that but pure over kill, to each there own though.
Yeah well best to be too cautious then not at all. I was a diesel mechanic in the army so all I know is maintaining a vehicle
Old 12/29/12, 07:37 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hell my owners manual says to change the oil every 7,500 miles. Got 6,000 on the current oil and it's still a honey color

Quick Reply: Best way to increase HP