1994-2004 V-6 3.8 and 3.9L V6 Mustangs

Best way to increase HP

Search this Thread

Old 3/12/11, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best way to increase HP

I'm wanting to increase my '03 V6's horsepower as much as possible. 193hp is decent but if I could get it to 300 that'd be amazing (193 seems like such a random number IMHO). What parts and accessories would you recommend to get the most HP increase? How much do you think is the limit that my V6 would be able to handle? I'm really not sure where to start, I've never done work on any car before.
Old 3/12/11, 09:33 PM

Alot of hp on a v6 is hard to come by unless you got the money. What's ur current price range you want to put in?
Old 3/12/11, 09:33 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Red X
I'm wanting to increase my '03 V6's horsepower as much as possible. 193hp is decent but if I could get it to 300 that'd be amazing (193 seems like such a random number IMHO). What parts and accessories would you recommend to get the most HP increase? How much do you think is the limit that my V6 would be able to handle? I'm really not sure where to start, I've never done work on any car before.
The real question is how much are you willing to spend? You can get to 300, sure, but most people feel it isn't worth what it costs. Usually you can pick up a used GT for cheaper than you can mod a v6 (but then there's insurance...). Try looking on sites like Super Six Motor Sports or Morana Racing to get an idea of how much it will cost. As far as how much the engine can handle, I've searched around and some numbers I found were in the area of 350 hp on a stock rotating assembly. If I were the one building up the sixer, I would replace the pistons and connecting rods with stronger aftermarket parts while everything is apart.
Old 3/12/11, 09:38 PM

If you have alot of money i think ur best bet would be a super charger (or turbo depending on ur prefrences) which is usally a gain of roughly 115 or so and then a powerpak from supersix motorsports which is another say 85-90 roughly. Also look into new gear ratio (4.10 for auto 3.75 I think for manual), dual exhaust conversion, under drive pullies, throttle body upgrade, TLOK and a tuner or custom tune to top it off. But the gears, under drive pullies, TLOK and a tune should be the top things you want to look into.
Old 3/13/11, 06:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 779 Likes on 568 Posts
giver a shot of juice
Old 3/13/11, 07:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Power pak from ssm will set you back about 3k, and a blower between 3-6k, that's a lot o money, and could easily get you a gt
Old 3/13/11, 03:05 PM

You raise good points. I probably should just trade my baby in for a GT. Call me crazy, but I'd feel bad, not only for giving my baby away but because I'm also a friend of the dealer who gave it to me. Haha.

At first I was going to say price wasn't a factor, but ****, I didn't think I'd be spending over 2k (I didn't think of getting a supercharger TBH). So right now, I'd only like to spend maybe 1k at most, if that's possible?
Old 3/13/11, 07:14 PM

Well with my v6 I'm generaly lucky beacuse for a charger on my 94 I can just pull one from a supercoupe. If you chose to trade In for a gt I'm sure your friend will understand. Just do what makes you happy, it's your stang.
Old 3/13/11, 08:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Bongstang
Well with my v6 I'm generaly lucky beacuse for a charger on my 94 I can just pull one from a supercoupe. If you chose to trade In for a gt I'm sure your friend will understand. Just do what makes you happy, it's your stang.
Is this something you've done or plan to do? I've got a Supercoupe back home and my best friend had an early V-6 SN-95... we always talked about how fun it would be to swap an SC blower onto his Stang.
Old 3/13/11, 08:32 PM

I'm finding that most of the GTs are still a bit out of my price range even with a trade-in. I'm looking for a GT like this one: http://usedcars.kbb.com/detail/cars/...&kbb_zip=53208

But... expensive and hard to find (red, automatic). :/
Old 3/13/11, 08:43 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm finding that most of the GTs are still a bit out of my price range even with a trade-in. I'm looking for a GT like this one: http://usedcars.kbb.com/detail/cars/...&kbb_zip=53208

The price is like you said pretty high, but the low mileage would be nice. I've got my 96 Cobra Convertible for sale for less than that and that's 305+ HP with the minor engine mods done to it...
Old 3/13/11, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by harristotle

Is this something you've done or plan to do? I've got a Supercoupe back home and my best friend had an early V-6 SN-95... we always talked about how fun it would be to swap an SC blower onto his Stang.
Ya I plan on putting in a blower, ported heads and intake then ultimitatly making a 94 saleen v6 sport clone. On the bright side I think ford still makes the chargers or aftermarket, there priced about half of what sites like stage six and American muscle price chargers. So it'll be all good In the end
Old 3/13/11, 09:43 PM

If you want to keep the six, what's ur planned hp range you want and what do you want to spend, I can try to figure you out an outline or plan of mods you can do that will get you there
Old 3/14/11, 01:50 AM

The price is like you said pretty high, but the low mileage would be nice. I've got my 96 Cobra Convertible for sale for less than that and that's 305+ HP with the minor engine mods done to it...
Yeah, I wish I could talk down the price on that. If I could, I'd probably trade in my V6 for that. Of course, I'd have to do something about that low MPG...
If you want to keep the six, what's ur planned hp range you want and what do you want to spend, I can try to figure you out an outline or plan of mods you can do that will get you there
200-300hp and around $1k is what I'd like to spend. Thanks.
Old 3/14/11, 07:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Yeah, I wish I could talk down the price on that. If I could, I'd probably trade in my V6 for that. Of course, I'd have to do something about that low MPG...

It's all about how you drive it. Obviously it's not going to be as good as the 6, but I still get 20+ MPG with mixed city and highway in the Cobra and that's with 3.73 gears too.
Old 3/14/11, 08:56 AM

Is your stang an auto or manual?
Old 3/14/11, 12:55 PM

It's all about how you drive it. Obviously it's not going to be as good as the 6, but I still get 20+ MPG with mixed city and highway in the Cobra and that's with 3.73 gears too.
Well, what would be considered "good" driving with something above a V6?
Is your stang an auto or manual?
Auto. Sadly, I can't drive manual and the only person I know who can doesn't have a license in this state so his parents won't let him borrow their manual.
Old 3/14/11, 01:30 PM

Hmm, well so do I so I know how you feel. Well here's a few things you can. Deffently start with 4.10 gears and a TLOK, deffently the best you can do. Also look into a dual exhaust conversion kit for about 700. That's about $1000 right there and you will need a custom tuner which is about $300-$400. So that's about 1,400ish. That should give you a decent jump in hp for your limit. But when you get some more you can look into underdrive pulleys, CAI(not much at all but you it's still nice to have in a way. You won't notice alot so try to find one for under $100) and maby a performance cam shaft. That's I think about $2000ish or under and you will see some extra ponies, but that's really all you can do on a six for ur budget. It's not much but it's better than stock.
Old 3/14/11, 06:09 PM

Hmm, well so do I so I know how you feel. Well here's a few things you can. Deffently start with 4.10 gears and a TLOK, deffently the best you can do. Also look into a dual exhaust conversion kit for about 700. That's about $1000 right there and you will need a custom tuner which is about $300-$400. So that's about 1,400ish. That should give you a decent jump in hp for your limit. But when you get some more you can look into underdrive pulleys, CAI(not much at all but you it's still nice to have in a way. You won't notice alot so try to find one for under $100) and maby a performance cam shaft. That's I think about $2000ish or under and you will see some extra ponies, but that's really all you can do on a six for ur budget. It's not much but it's better than stock.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/motive-410-9904v6.html
http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-28spline-75-lsd.html
http://www.americanmuscle.com/magnaf...t-9904-v6.html
http://www.americanmuscle.com/x3-cus...er-9904v6.html

Would this be a good start? It's right around $1,400 as you said.
Old 3/14/11, 06:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Well, what would be considered "good" driving with something above a V6?

Auto. Sadly, I can't drive manual and the only person I know who can doesn't have a license in this state so his parents won't let him borrow their manual.
Not spinning the tires at every stoplight lol. I have my fun don't get me wrong, but it's not like I'm hammering it constantly.

Also, how mechanically inclined do you consider yourself? You can save some big time money if you do things like the rear end gears yourself.

Quick Reply: Best way to increase HP