1994-2004 V-6 3.8 and 3.9L V6 Mustangs

anyone know what could be causing this?

Search this Thread

Old 8/2/04, 07:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok, anyone know what could be causing this problem?

I have a 2002 v6. whenever i turn the AC on, water starts coming up from underneath the passenger seat and collecting in a puddle in the right side rear passenger foot space. first time i noticed it, there was a puddle of water about 2 inches high that i scooped out with my hand. since then, ive used a wetvac on it, and water keeps coming whenever i turn the air conditioner on. the car is still under warranty, but my appointment isnt scheduled till thursday. anyone have any ideas what it may be?
Old 8/2/04, 08:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Turn off the A/C until Thursday, and be glad you have a warranty.

It's probably condensation coming from the evaporator, which should be draining outside the car.
Old 8/2/04, 09:03 PM
Bullitt Member

oh yeah, the AC has been off. funny thing is, if i set it to defog the windshield, and air conditioned air comes out of there, water doesnt seep up. only when i have it set to the AC or max AC setting.

eleanor's mine said it may be the heater core. i have no idea what that is?
Old 8/2/04, 09:10 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Dunno. But I bet you find out Thursday! Until then, hope it doesn't get to hot where you're at!

Just leave it off, and let them figure it out.
Old 8/2/04, 09:30 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Originally posted by pilot1129@August 2, 2004, 10:06 PM
oh yeah, the AC has been off. funny thing is, if i set it to defog the windshield, and air conditioned air comes out of there, water doesnt seep up. only when i have it set to the AC or max AC setting.

eleanor's mine said it may be the heater core. i have no idea what that is?
Description: A small radiator-like heat exchanger mounted inside the HVAC housing. The heater core has an inlet and outlet that enables coolant flow through the core. A series of tubes and fins provide the surface area for heat exchange.

Purpose: The heater core provides a source of heat for the interior of the vehicle. The driver, using the heater controls and blower motor, controls the exact amount of heat.

Maintenance Tips/Suggestions: The heater core does not require regular maintenance by itself, but is cared for by regular maintenance of the cooling system. This includes coolant changes per the manufacturer?s recommendations. Symptoms of a faulty heater core include coolant on the floor of the interior, a strange smell while the heat is turned on, and poor heater output. Have these symptoms checked out by a qualified technician, who can quickly determine where the fault lies. Problems with a heater core only tend to get worse; so don?t put off having the system checked.
Old 8/2/04, 09:41 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by HairyCanary@August 2, 2004, 9:02 PM

It's probably condensation coming from the evaporator, which should be draining outside the car.
This happens in my mother's Jeep.
Old 8/3/04, 06:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

If it was your heater core, I think you would know, as that's how obvious heater core leaks are. The smell of Antifreeze is obvious, as is the color, either pink or green. Usually when heater cores leak, Windows fog up real quick and easy, but again, you would SMELL the antifreeze coming through any HVAC vent.

Secondly, if your heater core was leaking a noticeable amount, your car would be overheating.

Since none of these things are mentioned, but you have water in the passenger floorboard, it would have to be the evaporator core drain tube. It is either clogged from some external debris outside the car, or the drain tube came disconnected. I usually have seen the drain tube come disconnected when people install car stereo's running wire in or around the wrong place, dislodging the drain tube.

I would start by jacking up the front passenger side of the car, crawl underneath, and find the drain tube along the firewall to floorpan area. Look to see if it is pinched, or clogged with debris. If you have driven through some high water recently, some dirt or leaves etc... may have clogged the tube.

Good luck.
Old 8/3/04, 06:29 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Well Explained. I was wrong on that issue, and I admit it. BUT...May want to have that checked out anyhow since its in warranty.
I am just so used to breathing in the death cool the stench of antifreeze didn't occur to me. I have a bad one, and it floods under the car in a lovely orange river, which I refuse to repair because frankly I am tired of spending money on a car I no longer want-and also my husband says its ac condensation and I am being high strung because I want a new car. Its going to car hades very soon.
Old 8/3/04, 06:53 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by HairyCanary@August 2, 2004, 11:02 PM

I had a 96 Grand Cherokee that did the samething. To see if my drain was clogged I turned on my AC and aited for a bit, then looked underneath it. Sure enough there was draining.
Old 8/3/04, 08:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

The problem is not your heater core, but likely your evaporator canister. If it was dripping anti-freeze, then it would be your heater core.

Basically you have stinky job ahead of you...tearing the dash off, laying upside down underneath it pulling out the plastic, possibly pulling the heater core (I'm not familiar with whether or not the heater core is in the way of the evap.), pulling the lines off, pulling the faulty component, then putting it all back together and getting your system recharged. Sorry.
Old 8/3/04, 08:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Just noticed you said it's under warranty. Lucky you. That is a painful job to do, believe me.
Old 8/3/04, 01:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by kn7671@August 3, 2004, 6:17 AM
If it was your heater core, I think you would know, as that's how obvious heater core leaks are. The smell of Antifreeze is obvious, as is the color, either pink or green. Usually when heater cores leak, Windows fog up real quick and easy, but again, you would SMELL the antifreeze coming through any HVAC vent.

Secondly, if your heater core was leaking a noticeable amount, your car would be overheating.

Since none of these things are mentioned, but you have water in the passenger floorboard, it would have to be the evaporator core drain tube. It is either clogged from some external debris outside the car, or the drain tube came disconnected. I usually have seen the drain tube come disconnected when people install car stereo's running wire in or around the wrong place, dislodging the drain tube.

I would start by jacking up the front passenger side of the car, crawl underneath, and find the drain tube along the firewall to floorpan area. Look to see if it is pinched, or clogged with debris. If you have driven through some high water recently, some dirt or leaves etc... may have clogged the tube.

Good luck.
bingo. i took it into another dealer to have it looked at ASAP and debris was the culprit. took Sheehy Ford barely any time to clean it up. I went to the local mall, bought a pair of shoes, and got a call saying problem solved.

thank god, i have my mustang back

thank you everyone!
Old 8/3/04, 09:46 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Avalanche+August 3, 2004, 6:56 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Avalanche @ August 3, 2004, 6:56 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-HairyCanary@August 2, 2004, 11:02 PM

I had a 96 Grand Cherokee that did the samething. To see if my drain was clogged I turned on my AC and aited for a bit, then looked underneath it. Sure enough there was draining. [/b][/quote]
Same model as my mothers.
Old 8/4/04, 09:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by JeffreyDJ@August 2, 2004, 9:13 PM
Dunno. But I bet you find out Thursday! Until then, hope it doesn't get to hot where you're at!

Its been really hot in virginia the past few days even with all the rain we've been getting this week

- just saw that you got it fixed at sheehy, yet thaey wont fix a headliner thats coming unattached.

BTW, how far is Springfield from Chesterfield?
Old 8/4/04, 02:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by kevinspann+August 4, 2004, 9:28 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kevinspann @ August 4, 2004, 9:28 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-JeffreyDJ@August 2, 2004, 9:13 PM

Its been really hot in virginia the past few days even with all the rain we've been getting this week

- just saw that you got it fixed at sheehy, yet thaey wont fix a headliner thats coming unattached.

BTW, how far is Springfield from Chesterfield? [/b][/quote]
i dont know where chesterfield is, but sheehy is in northern virginia. right where i95 becomes 395 and 495. you can see the interchange from sheehy.