1994-2004 V-6 3.8 and 3.9L V6 Mustangs

1997 3.8L V6 HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 8/30/05, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello guy/gals. I really need some help. My car is a 1997 Ford Thunderbird LX V6. I know its not a mustang but I need some help with the engine and I know that the 3.8 in the mustangs and the thunderbirds are pretty much the same if not exactly the same. My trouble is with the cars temperature. When I inherited from my grandpa and I started driving the temps would run over halfway up and sometimes it would around 3/4 of the way up. Well I figured I would change the thermostat and since they are cheap and pretty easy to change. Well I changed it and it didnt really seem to change anything. Well after that I had trouble with the coolant bleeding cap on the top of the engine leeking and had to replace that. After that I drove the car for pretty must all of June, July, and August and the car does its normal thing, never gets way over half. Well once that was done yesterday when I was driving it and I backed into my parking spot I noticed it was over 3/4 of the way up and it shouldnt have been anywhere near that since the temp outside was around 80 or less and I hadn't been driving hard or stuck in traffic or anything. Well today I get on the interstate and it gets almost as hot and so when I start down a hill I take it out gear and coast and it takes forever to cool off. Well I get off the interstate and it doesnt seem to act up or get to hot but it fluctuates a good bit. My question is could this be a head gasket failing? Could it be a bad thermostat? Could it be the electric fan not kicking in at the right time? The fan does kick on and blow but I just dont know if its blowing enough or what. I need help with this. I know the 3.8's are bad for head gaskets. Thanks for any help you guys can offer. Have a good day.
Old 8/31/05, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was also thinking could this be a water pump failing?? Does anyone have any idea. Please help.