1994-2004 V-6 3.8 and 3.9L V6 Mustangs

01 Power Window Issue

Search this Thread

Old 6/10/12, 08:29 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 Power Window Issue

On my 01 I have an issue with the drivers power window. At times it get stuck in the up position and does not want to go down. My 82 used to do this so I tried the same trick with it onthe 01 which was to give the door a good thump about where the speaker is. Lately it has gotten to doing this almost everytime I try to let the window down I'm starting to worry I'll damage the door, the panel and even my speaker. Does my door just need a new motor ?? I can't be the only one resorting to violence to let my window down ... Am I?
Old 6/11/12, 08:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
No, this is rather common. The gear in the window motor housing has a couple of nylon inserts that wear out over time and disintegrate. You can get a kit that has these three inserts in them and replace them, all that's needed is you to remove the window motor.

It's three bolts, but may require you to drill out a hole in the door shell in a couple of places. Not sure why Ford did that...

Then you take the three bolts out (Window up and supported would be a good idea,) and the motor comes out the back. You did disconnect the harness at some point, by the way.

You then take off the cover where the gear is, and you'll likely see exactly what I mean by the three inserts.

You can buy the entire gear, which is the two big pieces and the nylon inserts, or just the inserts. You might have to ask around for that kit vs the entire gear.

You just position the smaller gear over the big one with the three inserts wedged a little, and then using a hammer and a piece of wood, whack it in.

Put it back in the housing, use decent grease, put the lid back on, bolt it back up, and problems solved.

---

Unless, of course, it *is* the motor. In which case, junkyard or have someone rebuild it, or get a brush kit, assuming the windings aren't screwed up...

But I'm betting since the thwacking of the door makes it move, it's the inserts. Always seems to be. Ford hasn't changed that design since the mid 60s.

Good luck.
Old 6/11/12, 01:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My driver side window stopped working for one day a few months ago but started working again. Around two weeks ago it stopped working again and hasn't worked since. Would this be a blown fuse?
Old 6/11/12, 04:35 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by houtex
No, this is rather common. The gear in the window motor housing has a couple of nylon inserts that wear out over time and disintegrate. You can get a kit that has these three inserts in them and replace them, all that's needed is you to remove the window motor.

It's three bolts, but may require you to drill out a hole in the door shell in a couple of places. Not sure why Ford did that...

Then you take the three bolts out (Window up and supported would be a good idea,) and the motor comes out the back. You did disconnect the harness at some point, by the way.

You then take off the cover where the gear is, and you'll likely see exactly what I mean by the three inserts.

You can buy the entire gear, which is the two big pieces and the nylon inserts, or just the inserts. You might have to ask around for that kit vs the entire gear.

You just position the smaller gear over the big one with the three inserts wedged a little, and then using a hammer and a piece of wood, whack it in.

Put it back in the housing, use decent grease, put the lid back on, bolt it back up, and problems solved.

---

Unless, of course, it *is* the motor. In which case, junkyard or have someone rebuild it, or get a brush kit, assuming the windings aren't screwed up...

But I'm betting since the thwacking of the door makes it move, it's the inserts. Always seems to be. Ford hasn't changed that design since the mid 60s.

Good luck.
Thanks for the info Any idea what this part may cost ?? Might make the wife happier that one of the Mistresses require less than we thought lol
Old 6/11/12, 08:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
10 dollars or such. They're not much. Lessee... Here ya go:

http://www.google.com/search?q=ford+...33946916244610

And in there, you'll find this, eventually. But one of many:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RNB-74410

That's what you're lookin' for. You could get the entire gear for less than 50 if you just hadda.

However, just so you know, you can get the entire *motor with gear* for 50 bucks:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RNB-742-268/?rtype=10

I'm just sayin', if it's a big deal, you know what pricing you can get. If you don't mind a small wait.

The plugs, while at Summit are not shown for Mustang Per Se, are for any Ford window gear. They are on the Help rack at Autozones and such.

---

Skylar, since the other window works (yes?) then no, it's not a blown fuse. The windows are tied through one fuse, I think. Even if it was, that's easily tested... find the fuze and check it, replace as needed.

However, if it stopped then started, no way it's the fuze in that case. It might be NOW, but not then.

It's likely the gear or the motor, same solutions as Rick's issue.

---

I forgot to note, there's usually a dimple in the three places you might need to drill the hole. You'll need a hole saw. And you **REALLY** should google for 'window motor Mustang' for info on how exactly to do this, or get a shop manual for your car.

Last edited by houtex; 6/11/12 at 08:58 PM.
Old 6/12/12, 06:11 AM
V6 Member

Thanks for the help there. Now comes the hard part getting the door apart lol
Old 6/12/12, 07:18 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
getting the door apart is easy, putting it back together is the biatch.

I'm going to eventually have to replace the window motor on mine, not looking forward to it!
Old 6/19/12, 08:49 PM
V6 Member

Ok decided today before I tear into a Door on a car I gotta drive, I'd mess witha spare motor from my 82. So I took the cover around the gear off and pulled the grat out the big piece and then pulled out the bigger gear that goes off the worm drive thing. I assume this is the parts I'm replacing ?? Didn't go intoa lot of degreasing but I nevder really saw the need to hammer anything it kinda just fell apart ...... Tho I'm assuming since the motor I chose had slack in the gear that contacts the window It's probably in the same boat lol. Am I on the right track here? Will probably degrease it up so I can see what I'm looking at here in the next few days