Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 3/29/07, 06:49 AM
Service Manager

Received 442 Likes on 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Stix66
Yeah I have ran it to close to the E and usually do becuase I go thru gas like crazy somehow (one of the symptoms) so I get gas every week or until I go Empty and I get 200 miles give or take to my tank. But since I bought the car like this, I always thought this is how the car ran... silly me

And yea I do have a locking gas cap, one with a key in order to open it.
OK, this is a REALLY BAD idea!!! Running your gas tank down to Empty is the WORST thing you can do and is sure to reward you with a failed fuel pump if you keep doing it.

The fuel pump in the tank is cooled by the fuel....when you run it low the fuel pump is out of the fuel and runs at hotter temps...also running it low allowing the pump to suck air from time to time makes the pump work harder. Then your pump starts to get louder and louder until it finally fails....now you have to replace the pump all because you ran the tank low repeatedly.

This makes no sense....you will have to put fuel in the car anyway so waiting for E doesn't make it any cheaper. Consider 1/4 tank your time to fill up and your pump will thank you for it by not prematurely failing
Old 3/29/07, 08:56 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"I asked my teacher what the heck he thinks could be the problem and he says something in the tranny is slipping."

"otherwise my teacher at school said it was normal because of the type of headers I have on (BBK Equal Lengths), and that I am trying to accelerate in a high gear"

If it is still slipping/reving as you explained in your original post, it might still be the trans, the OD band in particular. Dropping the hammer at highway speeds while in OD, is an early death sentence for the trans.
Old 3/29/07, 10:11 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Coupe
If it is still slipping/reving as you explained in your original post, it might still be the trans, the OD band in particular. Dropping the hammer at highway speeds while in OD, is an early death sentence for the trans.
nope it does not slip anymore it has a lot of power/torque now when I give it gas. It feels completely like a new car, and when I bought it, it never had this much power.

And svopaul I should of explained better... I don't let it hit the red line at E... the white line before E (1/8 line?) if it gets there thats when I fill it, or earlier. 1/8 tank to me is empty lol. That one week though I did let it get under an 1/8 tank, and close to E thats because the mechanics had it in the shop for new door locks. Should I really move up to a 1/4 tank being the low limit?
Old 3/29/07, 11:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

When I was a mechanic we had a woman with a Jeep come in every couple of months with the same problem... it wouldn't start, and every time the fuel pump was the culprit. She admitted that she always ran the tank to near empty, one time even running completely dry and dying on the road. We tried to explain to her that the pump needs to be in the fuel to stay cool but she never understood or cared. Just thought I'd share that.

I usually fill up when my gauge reads just under 1/4 tank, yet it always only takes about 9-10 gallons so I'm guessing the fuel level gauge is a little inaccurate. I also remember reading (at stangnet I think) the fox gas tank design is such that the fuel level can't be measured accurately... I don't know
Old 3/29/07, 06:37 PM
GT Member

Alright coool I will for now on fill it up around a 1/4 tank! Thanks for the tip guys!