Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

New A/C. Today

Search this Thread

Old 7/6/13, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New A/C. Today

Alright. Today I start the install of my Classic Auto Air complete A/C R134a system. I'm going to start in the engine compartment and when that is done I'll move inside to under the dash. Even though it is hot as ***** here near Philly and I don't have a garage, I'm excited to work on my baby. FYI anyone thinking of getting this system, the instructions that come with aren't the greatest.
Old 7/6/13, 08:03 AM

I'm also doing a new aluminum radiator, water pump, heater core, injectors and a couple of other things while I have it apart. Mostly stock, unabused '92 LX 5.0 hatch, 5-speed.
Old 7/12/13, 04:33 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
How is the installation coming along?
Old 7/12/13, 06:01 AM

It's taking a little longer than expected. The A/C portion is going smoothly. But I put on new fuel rails and injectors, and the fuel rails (Professional Products) don't match up to my factory lines at all. So I will have to change the fittings on the ends of the fuel rails to hose barbs and replace the hard lines with rubber hose. A little annoyed since I thought they were going to be a direct swap. My car was also missing both lower radiator rubber insulators ( I don't know how the radiator didn't vibrate itself into a leak) so it took a few days to get new insulators from LMR. I took some pics and will post all when done.
Old 7/12/13, 07:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Even though it is hot as ***** here near Philly..
Let me tell ya, it was 86F yesterday, tops, according to this:
http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Obs...ation=USPA1276

That, my friend, is not 'hot as *****'. Come down here to my garage where it's 103 inside before you open the door (it was worse before the 80% complete 'ceiling') and 99-100 outside with that humidity you got there. I *wish* I had 86F days right now...

I also wish when I was doing Muskrat I had finished her A/C. The only thing I didn't get done on that '66. I'd put in the condenser and dryer beforehand, and had found an original Ford AC underdash (but not Mustang one, was gonna modify it)...

Ah well. But yeah, 86? Right. Tell me when you get to mid 90s.

/Extended forecast... ok, so Tuesday through Thursday will get close enough I might consider that, but even those <95F temps would be welcome 'round here as highs.

Last edited by houtex; 7/12/13 at 07:08 PM.
Old 7/13/13, 05:24 AM

86 would have been nice, but July 6th and 7th when I was working on it was mid 90's with high humidity. It's cool though. It had been awhile since I felt the nice burn of sweat dripping into my eyes. And like I said to my wife, a bad day working on my car is better than a good day doing anything else. She rolled her eyes. It was also about 13 years since I felt coolant dripping down my arm. Considering the last time I worked on a car was my 89 LX 5.0 notch in the late 90's, things are going well.
Old 7/16/13, 04:02 PM

Hi,

Where did you buy or parts for the A/C system? I am also looking to do an Install on my 89.
Old 7/20/13, 07:27 AM

I just saw your other post and posted there. I got the Deluxe Classic Auto Air kit from National Parts Depot. It was $900 but they have smaller, cheaper kits. Of course since I was going to have so much apart put on new a/c I decided to get a new radiator, water pump, thermostat and housing, hoses, fuel injectors, phenolic spacer, and fuel rails, which added to my expenses. You may not have similar needs.
Old 8/3/13, 05:59 PM

Update: I took the dash apart today to finally put in the new evaporator and heater core. Little did I know that you can't remove the evaporator from the hvac box. After looking online I found a Ford service manual excerpt which states the only way to replace the evaporator is to remove the ENTIRE hvac box, cut the box open, and seal it back up, which would probably take me forever. I thought I would have access to it once I removed the heater core. Nooo sirree. (The instructions that came with the kit don't say anything about this. They basically say, "After installing the new evaporator, hook it up to the new a/c lines.") So I got a new heater core out of it, but won't be having the new a/c system that I wanted. Bummed.