Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Need help with project powertrain

Search this Thread

Old 9/13/21, 01:16 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with project powertrain

Need some help from the community.

I purchased a project from one of my techs that I plan to build for road racing at COTA. The car comes with a T5 transmission, 5 lug conversion (still uses fox spindles and drum brakes), a 347 stroker with Powerdyne supercharger using a Mexico block. The suspension and brakes I am slowly piecing together.

When I picked up the vehicle he had lost the build sheet for the engine, and the shop in NC could not find his records, since the engine was built in 2015. The tune is off and the car will not stay on, the car was also sitting under a tarp for a couple of years and rats have chewed into the main harness. The car is sitting in the back of my dealerships parking lot under a car cover waiting to see what I am going to do with it.

Now here is my question. What direction would be the best way to go for a powertrain and my goals for the vehicle? I am not looking for GT500 numbers but I am looking for a good heart to keep up with some of the vettes and porsches that run there.
  • I could buy a new harness and ECU from Pro-M and just ditch the SC [The engine is still a wild card since I do not know what cam, heads, or stroker kit was used in the build].
  • I could sell the 347 and build a 427 from the ground up with a FRPP Boss 427 shortblock and make it carb.
  • My final choice would be save up the funds and buy a FRPP power module (new Coyote Gen 3 engine and T-56 trans) and just shoe horn that in. I know most would be saying to find a junkyard Coyote if I want to go that route but with most engines and trans in my area going for $9,000- $10,000 [before inspection and cleaning] and a brand new set up for for $16,000 I feel spending the extra would not be a bad trade off.

Now I trust everyone's opinions on this site and any feedback would help greatly. This is not a quick hurry up and build project so I have time to piece together some stuff. The body will be going out in December for paint, body, and a cage.
Old 9/13/21, 05:37 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
I don’t have any knowledgeable advice, but sounds like a fun project.