Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Motor Mounts convertible motor mounts compare to Solid mounts

Search this Thread

Old 6/18/12, 03:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motor Mounts convertible motor mounts compare to Solid mounts

Ok So well after years of abuse on the stock convertible Motor mounts I think one is starting to give way. As every run I did down the track I lost Vacume to the Brakes as the hose would pull off the intake and had to slow the car down with Manual brakes.

So Now I want to know if there are any soild motor mounts that will keep the motor the same height as set of Convertible mounts.

It's been so many years since I had to remember this. But the Vert mounts lowered the motor from the stock mounts is that correct?

Last edited by jkstang78; 6/18/12 at 03:13 PM.
Old 6/18/12, 03:55 PM
V6 Member

I was told they did. Was told convertible mounts were a bit lower than standard mounts and what i'd need to get my 351 in
Old 6/18/12, 03:58 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,876 Posts
You got my curiosity peaked with your question so I looked up 91 Vert & Gt Motor Mounts. I had never heard about Vert Mounts being lower & thought they were different because of vibration concerns and or Unibody differences between the two.

Anywhoo you learn something new every day. I printed out both styles for you if it will be of any use to you. My gut tells me the pictures may be reversed from what they really are but anyway hope these help with your quest.

KC
Attached Thumbnails Motor Mounts convertible motor mounts compare to Solid mounts-91gtmotormounts.jpg   Motor Mounts convertible motor mounts compare to Solid mounts-91vertmotormounts.jpg  
Old 6/18/12, 04:31 PM
Cobra R Member

The vert mount are lower than the coupe/hatchback mounts around 1/2" or so. Ford switched to the vert mount for entire line sometime in '90-'91 but it has been debated.

The big difference is the vert mounts are "captured" mounts and the coupe/hatchback ones aren't. The verts have two interlacing pieces of metal with rubber in between as opposed to the coupe/hatchback ones that have two pieces of metal held together by rubber. So when the rubber fails on a vert mount the metal still holds the mount together. When a coupe/hatchback mount fails there is nothing keeping the motor from moving. Use OEM mounts the parts store mounts tend to suck and the part #'s are awful.

The two most common poly aftermarket mounts are Energy suspension and Prothane. Energy suspension is closer in height to the vert mount and Prothane is closer in height to coupe/hatchback mount.
Old 6/18/12, 07:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
You got my curiosity peaked with your question so I looked up 91 Vert & Gt Motor Mounts. I had never heard about Vert Mounts being lower & thought they were different because of vibration concerns and or Unibody differences between the two.

Anywhoo you learn something new every day. I printed out both styles for you if it will be of any use to you. My gut tells me the pictures may be reversed from what they really are but anyway hope these help with your quest.

KC
Originally Posted by skunk21
The vert mount are lower than the coupe/hatchback mounts around 1/2" or so. Ford switched to the vert mount for entire line sometime in '90-'91 but it has been debated.

The big difference is the vert mounts are "captured" mounts and the coupe/hatchback ones aren't. The verts have two interlacing pieces of metal with rubber in between as opposed to the coupe/hatchback ones that have two pieces of metal held together by rubber. So when the rubber fails on a vert mount the metal still holds the mount together. When a coupe/hatchback mount fails there is nothing keeping the motor from moving. Use OEM mounts the parts store mounts tend to suck and the part #'s are awful.

The two most common poly aftermarket mounts are Energy suspension and Prothane. Energy suspension is closer in height to the vert mount and Prothane is closer in height to coupe/hatchback mount.

Thanks for the info guys. Like I said I wasn't to sure. It's been 6 years since I put new mounts in the car. And a ton of low 1.3 60 foots might hae taken it's tool. I had a friend over I power braked the car to see how much the motor moved. He said he doesn't think the Mounts are bad. I just never pulled the Vac Line from the brake booster off the back of the intake before. I just found it reaally odd that it started doing that.

But I think I will just switch to Soild mounts for the race car anyway.