Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

jumping out of first gear? wtf now?

Search this Thread

Old 1/11/14, 05:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry jumping out of first gear? wtf now?

ok all day long I have been wresting with "the beast.."
she has been jumping out of 1sr gear no less than about 5 times today...
no apparent reason for it.. the clutch appears also to need adjusting again...its barely off the floor again to disengage..
even making sure the tranny is indeed in first it will jump...
I even got to the point of starting out in second gear that I dont like to do because of strain and wear on the clutch and flywheel.....
Do I really need to dump this (far as I know) stock T56 and start saving for a TKO 600 or better? Not going to a an auto...
just getting real frustrated lately with her.. cant enjoy her shes almost like a tank to drive because of the clutch needing so much out of my legs and knees to use it....never had a clutch this stiff in my entire life, and I have had more performance cars that I care to discuss...
I simply dont know what else to do other than to spend more money to get her where I want.. I am having to put future mods on hold (wheels, tires....brakes...gauges, super chargers etc...) until I can get this drive train issue nipped in the bud....getting perturbed....
The car has 373s so its pretty low geared...do you think I can keep getting away with just using second gear for normal street driving?
Old 1/16/14, 06:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Unhappy

still jumping out of first....I have been having to use second gear to start from red lights and stop signs...dont like having to do this...If I put the car in first, as soon as I let off the clutch it pops right out.... even if I hold the shifter in gear with my hand it will pop out.... is this maybe a sign of maybe that used tranny I bought may not be in good shape? Are the gears made in such a way they should lock the gear and shifter in place once it is in any of the 5 gears? Only first gear at the moment is the issue. Can it be partly because of the issues I am having with keeping the clutch adjusted?
Still not comfortable with the clutch either... Bout ready to yank both out and and start over. Dont really want a stock clutch but this one I have about reached my limits...too much physical force required to engage the clutch... Have had the car since oct 8th and still am not able to enjoy the car as I should.
Old 1/16/14, 06:20 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had a British roadster that would pop out of 2nd gear. Tore it apart and the main shaft nut was lose allowing play. Just a hunch.
Old 1/16/14, 06:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Anytime u get anything used there's a possibility it's bad. That's why at our shop we don't get junkyard parts bc u just never know and if lots of the same vehicles have same issue the part you take from the yard or buy used is likely to have the same issue. First is probably shot. Even if your clutch is bad it should still stay in first if it stays in all other gears
Old 1/19/14, 10:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by LivinTheStangLife
A First is probably shot. Even if your clutch is bad it should still stay in first if it stays in all other gears

its when I get the RPMS up to keep from luggin the car going up a hill etc.... Drove it some this weekend, didnt happen but I babied it quite a bit...
My greatest fear is crossing a street with traffic.. and the dam thing pop out of gear before I can cross the street..... shouldnt be this way..
But.. it is what it is.... I am gonna get to spend some good time in the car tomorrow and see if theres anything else I might be able to do..