Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Idle surge up and down car shuts off

Search this Thread

Old 3/12/13, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Idle surge up and down car shuts off

New build, 92 5.0 bored 30 over forged flat top pistons new e303 cam 24lb injectors calibrated 24lb maf afr 165cc heads crane cam roller rockers. Bbk upper and lower intake. Bbk headers. New plugs wires dist. and coil. Car won't idle, shuts off. Been told that I need a idle air control adjuster. Any similar problems or suggestions??
Old 3/12/13, 03:42 PM
Cobra R Member

has the car been tuned? did you check for any codes ? There can be driveablity issues with a calibrated maf. even though the aftermarket sells a 'scaled' or 'skewed' maf/samle tube to trick the ecm when using a different size injector sometimes there can be driveability issues, etc. where as when a proper tune is done you get an ecm recalibration, done. End of guess work. I'm not going to say for sure this is the problem but lots of times the calibration is a problem. check for codes.

Last edited by skunk21; 3/12/13 at 03:49 PM.
Old 3/12/13, 04:26 PM

I'm gonna check right now. Thanks
Old 3/12/13, 10:06 PM
FR500 Member

IAC adjuster? You mean the metal plate with 2 adjustment screws? Hasn't worked for me yet. FWIW, sometimes those aftermarket MAF meters are sensitive to placement ("clocking") and intake airflow turbulence from RAI vs. CAI. May as well double check TPS setting too. Good luck.
Old 3/14/13, 04:27 PM
Cobra R Member

The idle air plate for the most part is a bandaid, but it does work and I have one my car. I had surging idle issues after my mods. Now before the arguments start I always advocate finding the problem and fixing it. I did the code test, base idle reset, TPS check, vacuum test, clocked the maf, etc, etc. It helped but never totally fixed the issue and I never could hunt it down. I gave in and got the plate and it fixed the problem, never had and idle problem since.. go figure .

Since we haven got a responce back yet. I will still say trouble shoot 1st. check for codes, do a base idle reset, etc. the problem may be rectified sometimes though you have to restort to other methods.
Old 3/15/13, 11:14 AM

Ok so car is fixed after a iac adjuster plate and a new tps. Car still ran rough after all that so we unhooked the bbk maf and the car would start up and run fine. Just had check engine light on, of course. Ran a little lean so we switched the maf back to the factory one and the car is doing fine now. Don't know y my 24lb injectors won't run with the bbk 24lb calibrated maf, but it doesn't.
Old 3/15/13, 11:29 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Lethal_pony
Ok so car is fixed after a iac adjuster plate and a new tps. Car still ran rough after all that so we unhooked the bbk maf and the car would start up and run fine. Just had check engine light on, of course. Ran a little lean so we switched the maf back to the factory one and the car is doing fine now. Don't know y my 24lb injectors won't run with the bbk 24lb calibrated maf, but it doesn't.
Bad maf or bad calibration. read post #2.