Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

How to remove gas tank on a 86 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 1/18/07, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to remove gas tank on a 86 GT?

Hello all,
What are the steps to remove a gas tank on a '86 GT vert? I have a leak somewhere, if I have more then an half a tank of gas, it leaks from the driver side somewhere, I need to take the tank out to see where?
Thank you,
Old 1/19/07, 08:18 AM
Service Manager

Received 452 Likes on 224 Posts
If it leaks from the driver side then I'd bet it is leaking at the seam at the front corner of the tank where the exhaust passes by it. That is a common problem...especially if anyone ever moved that folded lip to clear an aftermarket exhaust system. You should be able to see the tank wet in that area without removing it.

Removal is simple though....unbolt the straps in front of the tank, unbolt the retaining ring on the fill side...lower the tank and disconnect all lines and slide it off the fill neck. It helps if you have almost no fuel in the tank....liquid is heavy and the tank will be too if it has any amount of fuel in it.
Old 1/19/07, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by svopaul
If it leaks from the driver side then I'd bet it is leaking at the seam at the front corner of the tank where the exhaust passes by it. That is a common problem...especially if anyone ever moved that folded lip to clear an aftermarket exhaust system. You should be able to see the tank wet in that area without removing it.

Removal is simple though....unbolt the straps in front of the tank, unbolt the retaining ring on the fill side...lower the tank and disconnect all lines and slide it off the fill neck. It helps if you have almost no fuel in the tank....liquid is heavy and the tank will be too if it has any amount of fuel in it.
Thank you, the car is totally original so no aftermarket exhaust has ever been installed. When I unbolt the straps, there is a plastic shield on the tank correct? That should come off then I should be able to see that tank? Now a dumb question, did the '86 come with an electric fuel pump, if so is that on the tank?
I restored my '68 mustang myself, but have not really worked too much on the fox bodies, but I will now!
Thanks again!
Old 1/19/07, 04:14 PM
Service Manager

Received 452 Likes on 224 Posts
Originally Posted by palmaceae
Thank you, the car is totally original so no aftermarket exhaust has ever been installed. When I unbolt the straps, there is a plastic shield on the tank correct? That should come off then I should be able to see that tank? Now a dumb question, did the '86 come with an electric fuel pump, if so is that on the tank?
I restored my '68 mustang myself, but have not really worked too much on the fox bodies, but I will now!
Thanks again!
Yes, there is a plastic shield. I usually leave it on until I remove the tank because I have something supporting the tank under that shield. Then once out lift the tank up out of it. Nothing holds the shield to the tank other than those straps.

The '86 does have an electric fuel pump but it is inside the tank, not on it.

If the tank is leaking I would not recommend trying to patch it....a new tank is around $100 so it is best to replace it.

Be careful to not tear the filler neck seal....otherwise it must be replace or you will have a fuel leak on the passenger side of the car....
Old 1/19/07, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by svopaul
Yes, there is a plastic shield. I usually leave it on until I remove the tank because I have something supporting the tank under that shield. Then once out lift the tank up out of it. Nothing holds the shield to the tank other than those straps.

The '86 does have an electric fuel pump but it is inside the tank, not on it.

If the tank is leaking I would not recommend trying to patch it....a new tank is around $100 so it is best to replace it.

Be careful to not tear the filler neck seal....otherwise it must be replace or you will have a fuel leak on the passenger side of the car....
Thanks again! I will replace the tank, it is a daily driver now but soon I am going to restore the car to original condition.