Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Hatch not latching...

Search this Thread

Old 4/2/07, 01:28 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hatch not latching...

Ok, got the 82, she's in great shape but the rear hatch wont latch, the mechanism seems to work fine, but I dont know if the striker bin has dropped, the latch has been bumped up, or a combination of the two... any advice on how to correct the issue & if the pin can be moved at all?
Old 4/2/07, 01:43 PM
Cobra R Member

Any HELP section at any auto parts store has the plastic bushing that is probably broken and gone. Look at your striker and see if there is only skinny metal. It should have a bushing. Look at the picture in the below URL and see if yours is gone.

http://images.latemodelrestoration.com/LRS-40442A.jpg

You could also buy the whole setup. See the below URL.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...0%201&comp=LRS

If you are really cheap, you could run some electrical tape or such around the post several times unless it latches. I think this work is along the same lines of putting a piece of cardboard over a floorpan hole.
Old 4/2/07, 01:48 PM
V6 Member

Ok, thanks, I'll check when I get home..I BELIEVE it is just the metal post, but that sleve ya say would keep it from lathin eh? This is the reason I got into the hobby & love this forum.
Old 4/2/07, 02:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

That striker bolt Ralph linked to is the same part I bought (but for a '90) and it fixed the god awful hatch rattle I had. I also had to adjust the striker a little bit to make it latch perfect which requires either a T45 or T55 Torx bit I believe, which you can get at the parts store.
Old 4/2/07, 04:43 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Desi
that sleve ya say would keep it from lathin eh?
Yep.

LMRS also has a whole "hatch repair kit" that contains that whole striker assemble, a new seal, and 2 new shocks. When adjusting - like Angelo mentions - there are also two rubber bumpers at the corners of the hatch. Replace/adjust those if needed.

Thanks, Angelo.
Old 4/2/07, 05:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

oh yeah I forgot about those rubber bumpers, I replaced those too and it helped a lot with the hatch adjustment
Old 4/2/07, 05:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This is just a strange thing to have this post pop up, my hatch stiker just gave up the ghost over the weekend and the show. Need one!!!
Old 4/2/07, 06:52 PM
V6 Member

Heh, this kids, is why ya shouldn't post from work..
Spelling errors aside, yeah I need that kit, mainly for the sleeve/shocks, the seal all seems good still, but parts-is-parts like the old comercial goes...also looking over it again, I need the sleves for the doors, as well
Old 4/2/07, 10:32 PM
Bullitt Member

all seems dood still
lol

Anyway the door striker bushing can be found at the parts store too, they come in a pack of four, two short ones, and two longer ones, the longer ones is what you will need. It should be the same size TORX bit as the hatch, which i believe a T-50
Old 4/4/07, 08:17 PM

My hatch wouldnt latch unless I slammed it. It had black tape around the striker bolt when I bought it and it did rattle some. I bought the bolt with the bushing for less than 40 bucks and it solved my problem. Its and expensive little piece but its worth it to secure your car and stop that noise! Its a place to start....
Old 4/4/07, 09:51 PM
V6 Member

Well, this is my latch, after lookin at it more closely, the piece on the left can be manually moved with ease, there is no tesion on it, unless I push it by hand to the "close" position, then it locks..
Old 4/5/07, 07:12 AM
Cobra R Member

It is working as it should.
Old 4/5/07, 08:00 AM
Service Manager

Received 443 Likes on 219 Posts
Originally Posted by tn89lx5.0
My hatch wouldnt latch unless I slammed it. It had black tape around the striker bolt when I bought it and it did rattle some. I bought the bolt with the bushing for less than 40 bucks and it solved my problem. Its and expensive little piece but its worth it to secure your car and stop that noise! Its a place to start....
$40?!?....those things only cost around $15!!
Old 4/5/07, 01:58 PM
V6 Member

hmm, any thoughts as to what else it could be? Body/seals seem to good to be frame damage ( a friend o mine suggested, but havent gotten into a shop yet...doesnt seem likely to me).soo, recomendations?
Old 4/5/07, 02:44 PM
Cobra R Member

The striker did not help?
Old 4/5/07, 03:24 PM
Service Manager

Well, this is my latch, after lookin at it more closely, the piece on the left can be manually moved with ease, there is no tesion on it, unless I push it by hand to the "close" position, then it locks..
That is normal...and not your problem. Your problem is the striker that is mounted to the rear body panel.
Old 4/5/07, 04:10 PM
V6 Member

ok, so it can be moved then? looking at the replacemts I thought it was just a bolt, basically. looks like I am gonna have to yank off all the plastic crap/panels, thanks for the info =)
Old 4/5/07, 05:11 PM
Service Manager

ok, so it can be moved then? looking at the replacemts I thought it was just a bolt, basically. looks like I am gonna have to yank off all the plastic crap/panels, thanks for the info =)
Yes, the bolt is adjustable...the missing plastic bushing is what is causing it not to latch.
Old 4/5/07, 06:05 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Puter
Yep.
Yes, that sleeve would keep the hatch from latching.
Old 4/5/07, 06:47 PM
V6 Member

that's just it tho, picked one up (labeit one of the "Help" brands from Advanced Auto) to test it.. no dice...maybe I do need to try & raise it, I thought the striker was just a bolt, didnt realize it was adjustable.

Quick Reply: Hatch not latching...