Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

GT "T" top needs help

Search this Thread

Old 5/13/04, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey guys got a new stang well friend of mine just got a GT T-top fox very cool but the only problem is some weiner ran into the left front and $%&#ed the nose of the fox up bad and the T-top glass dosent fit right, the question is: it beening a T-top car and the front isint straght (most of the damage it in the front) 1 how hard is it going to be to straghten the car or it it easer to just get a diffrent car and put the top of the car on the new car. the car was driven omly ten miles sens the guy put in a trany that and the 347 strock the fella put in it realy purs, the problem is the guy ran NX on thr car and had all this power and had nothing to keep the car from twisting. i felt that was important to know for dissision making. and help would be liked.
Old 5/13/04, 09:47 AM
GT Member

Well... I've never really needed tio straighten out a car before, you're going to need to find a body shop with a frame straightener and see what they want for it. Making a hardtop into a T-Top is gonna be more work that straightening out your car, unless the damage is really substantial. I'd get it appraised, chances are it'll be easier to straighten out your GT rather than buy a new one, transfer the entire powertrain, and build a home-made T-top.
Old 5/13/04, 10:24 AM

well when we looked at the carit looks like the T-top is just somthing they made and then cut a whole in the top and rivited it in
Old 5/13/04, 02:39 PM
GT Member

I'm just saying the the cost of straightening the frame might be less than you think, depending on the amount of damage. If I remember correctly, T-Tops use convertible doors, not hardtop doors. Also, you might want to look before you cut to ensure there's no framework running along the roof; I'm fairly certain there is some in there. Should you decide to cut the roof, I definately reccommend adding subframe connectors underneath to compensate for the loss of structureal integrity on top. Unfortunately; I've never owned a T-top yet, though some day I intend on getting my hands on an 82 GT hatchback T-top.
Old 5/14/04, 09:14 AM

well its not my car but a friend of mine and I are working on it but thanks for the help and let me tell you some thing the t-tops are cool even when your sitting in one that is wrecked it is still cool i will see if i cant get some picks of ther car on hear so ya'll can look at them.
Old 5/16/04, 04:56 PM

probably 250$ to put on frame straitner then 100$ an hour to pull it dont sweat it if the car is not rusted fix it if you dont you will tell your grand children you had a t tope mustang years ago and should of fixed it :bang: