Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Feathering gas pedal to start

Search this Thread

Old 7/23/13, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Feathering gas pedal to start

Hey guys. I need some help. I have a 1993 2.3 n/a. So here's the deal. I get in my car turn the key and it'll turn over about 5-7 times and it'll hiccup. Then I turn it off and turn it over a couple more times and then it'll fire up after I feather it and it stays running around 2000rpm then it'll drop down to 1100rpms and it will die unless I keep feathering the gas. And once it's warmed up it will drive fine except for ever once in a while it'll hesitate and sometimes backfire when I'm accelerating. And when I press the gas pedal down to about 3/4 of the way when I'm accelerating it will get to about 32-37mph and then it it will drop from 3k Rpms to about 1500. I have to pulse the peddle before it goes back up. Any idea? These are the parts I replaced; water pump, radiator, radiator fan, ICM, spark plugs, spark plug wires, coil packs, fuel pressure regulator, and fuel filter. Sorry for the long message.
Old 7/23/13, 05:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
It's not long. Trust me.

Hm... you probably need to clean the throttle body on that one, and maybe, just maybe, the idle air bypass solenoid/actuator/motor/whatever it's called. And the Throttle Position Sensor. Any of these can cause the problem.

And a new air filter.

Then maybe injector cleaning.

And reset the computer, which is remove battery negative for 20 minutes, then put it back on, then go drive for a lil bit. Providing the idle is working again.

Past that? Hm...

Last edited by houtex; 7/23/13 at 05:54 PM.
Old 7/23/13, 09:28 PM

I have a K&N filter I got out of one in the junk yard and I cleaned it lol. And I'll try that out I did reset it about four days ago after I got the pressure regulator. It's really annoying me -.-
Old 7/24/13, 08:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by houtex
Hm... you probably need to clean the throttle body on that one, and maybe, just maybe, the idle air bypass solenoid/actuator/motor/whatever it's called. And the Throttle Position Sensor. Any of these can cause the problem.
I worded that so badly. I'm sorry guys and gals.

Cleaning the TB is what I meant. Try that. Then reset the computer and see where you're at.

The other two, the idle air bypass and the throttle position sensor, those are pretty much a replace them thing. No guarantees. There's way to test their working by checking their resistance, but you need a shop manual or a good google search on that.

There. I feel better now.
Old 7/24/13, 10:30 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
It's not long. Trust me.

And a new air filter.

Then maybe injector cleaning.

And reset the computer, which is remove battery negative for 20 minutes, then put it back on, then go drive for a lil bit. Providing the idle is working again.

Past that? Hm...
I want what you were drinking
Old 7/25/13, 09:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Well here ya go, get some of these:

Old 7/28/13, 04:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Also clean the maf if it wasnt mentioned. Did you recently oil your kn filter when the problem started happening? Its common for people to over oil them causing maf issues.