Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Clutch pedal question

Search this Thread

Old 1/4/15, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch pedal question

Hi everyone,
I've got a question for those of you with (or without) experience. The clutch on my 90 GT is extremely difficult to press. I do not believe that it could be due to a harder pressure plate, I've driven other cars with race clutch and pressure plates and this is far harder of a pedal. Now to what I do know: The car used to be an automatic. From what I have read, the pedal assembly can be a pain to properly install, and based on everything else on this car, it has had its fair share of "rigging" from the previous owner. So my question is, is there something I need to adjust or check in the pedal assembly? Is this something possibly caused by clutch cable misadjustment? Is my left thigh totally weak? Haha, thanks guys. Any input on this will be greatly appreciated.
-Alex
Old 1/4/15, 07:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
First, watch this:

Just the first part so you know how the cable is routed and should look. This is a correctly routed stock cable, no problems. The other half of the video is regarding the BBK cable install, which is not applicable (unless you wanna change it to that, of course. ) If your cable is routed that way, then it's not the cable routing.

The second thing is that the clutch could be fighting you, so disconnect at the clutch side, and test the pedal. If that frees things up, then it's somewhere in the clutch/throwout bearing/clutch fork.

If it's still difficult, though, then it's either the pedal pivot shaft, or the cable's the problem. Disconnect it and see which it is.

If its the pedal pivoting, then you have to deal with that. Could be the adjuster quadrant, or the the shaft.

If it's fine after the cable is disconnected, then replace or lube the cable, here's a video from someone else:

Overall, it's just a matter of diagnosing to the exact issue, but it'll be a little bit of hoops, maybe. Hope that helps!
Old 1/4/15, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats incredibly helpful. Thanks a bunch!