Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

anyone with an EFI 5.0? got some temp questions

Search this Thread

Old 12/8/13, 01:49 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
anyone with an EFI 5.0? got some temp questions

I know my car is a II but it has more in common with fuelie foxes enginewise these days so I thought I'd ask here. Today I decided to finally use my laser temperature gun thing to see how hot my car is actually getting when the needle gets to the H. For those that don't know my car has been having some overheating problems for a while and even though I finally gave in and had the thermostat replaced by a shop, it still goes way into the H during even just short drives. I took the temp of various parts in the engine bay and its a pretty chilly (for berkeley anyway) day. car was parked, without the cover on and the hood open.

Also, I chickened out in the last column. The car has run the needle past the H before, but thats where it also overheats. I didn't want to make things worse, so I just took this much data and shut her down, just in case.

If anyone has any more insight on the temps these cars run at normally, and how quickly they get there, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance
Attached Images  
Old 12/12/13, 04:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A cooling system isn't really too complicated, compared to other systems on a car. You changed thermostat. The other components of the system are the water pump, radiator, radiator cap, and hoses. That's it really. If nothing is leaking, you have to consider that either the water pump isn't circulating properly, or the radiator is clogged or has otherwise lost efficiency. My first car was a 1974 II, the radiator was ridiculously easy to take out. You can take it to a shop to have it tested. I would do that first, relatively inexpensively. If you need a radiator, change all the hoses at the same time. If the radiator is good, that leaves the water pump (or radiator cap) as the likely culprits. Good luck.