Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

88mm Turbo Help 89 LX build

Search this Thread

Old 10/18/23, 11:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
88mm Turbo Help 89 LX build

So I've got a 1989 mustang LX and recently bought a VS racing 88mm turbo for it. To start out, I was planning on running anywhere between 5-10lbs of boost (depending on the requirements) I'm wondering what I all need yet to safely run an 88MM or if I even CAN run an 88mm turbo to begin with. If anyone with more experience can point me to the right parts or things I need yet to be able to run a turbo like, I'd greatly appreciate it.

10/18/2023
My Current Setup:
  • TF 170cc ported Alum. Heads
  • TF upper & lower intake
  • 347 DART SHP block
  • Eagle Specialty forged rotating assembly
  • Billit main caps
  • Lunati rockers
  • 42lb TF fuel injectors
  • MegaSquirt engine management system
  • 373 gears / 31 spline moser axles
  • Aluminum driveshaft
  • (Building a C4 transmission)
  • Stock Fuel pump/rails?
  • BBK cold air intake
  • Mishimoto Aluminum radiator
Old 10/18/23, 12:44 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,861 Likes on 2,112 Posts
Welcome Jordan,

Love To Se Some Pics of This Wild Stang!

Would Be Helpful For Suggestions!

I Personally Don't Have a Lot of Answers on Your Questions But Have Some Questions to Help Get You Some Answers.

Is This a Drag Only Car or is It a Street Machine?

Have You Done any Suspension Mods To Help With the Increased Horsepower?

Sounds Pretty Stout Already in the Engine Department.

KC

Old 10/18/23, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
Welcome Jordan,

Love To Se Some Pics of This Wild Stang!

Is This a Drag Only Car or is It a Street Machine?

Have You Done any Suspension Mods To Help With the Increased Horsepower?

KC
I have done Suspension work such as adjustable performance shocks/struts. Along with gearing & 31 spline axles. As well as chassis support. The car is meant to be a STREET car & is set up to be a sleeper. However, it will see a lot of track time as well. I'm wondering what I all need yet to be able to run a turbo this size on my setup. Or if I even CAN run that big of a turbo to begin with.

Old 10/18/23, 01:33 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,861 Likes on 2,112 Posts
Very Nice Car!

Certainly Has a Sleeper Vibe!

First Person that Come To Mind as Far as Turbo's is Our Own @svopaul

Perhaps He Would Have Some Input on this!

He Has Been Paged! Busy Guy so Be Patient!

KC
The following users liked this post:
Jordansch (10/18/23)
Old 10/18/23, 04:30 PM
Service Manager

Received 447 Likes on 221 Posts
Originally Posted by Jordansch
So I've got a 1989 mustang LX and recently bought a VS racing 88mm turbo for it. To start out, I was planning on running anywhere between 5-10lbs of boost (depending on the requirements) I'm wondering what I all need yet to safely run an 88MM or if I even CAN run an 88mm turbo to begin with. If anyone with more experience can point me to the right parts or things I need yet to be able to run a turbo like, I'd greatly appreciate it.

10/18/2023
My Current Setup:
  • TF 170cc ported Alum. Heads
  • TF upper & lower intake
  • 347 DART SHP block
  • Eagle Specialty forged rotating assembly
  • Billit main caps
  • Lunati rockers
  • 42lb TF fuel injectors
  • MegaSquirt engine management system
  • 373 gears / 31 spline moser axles
  • Aluminum driveshaft
  • (Building a C4 transmission)
  • Stock Fuel pump/rails?
  • BBK cold air intake
  • Mishimoto Aluminum radiator
Welcome....The 88mm turbo is a big one...personally I don't think you need to go that big as you may have lag issues and you are only going to be able to put so much to the pavement without blowing the tires off. I did an 88mm turbo for a customer on an 05 Mustang and it's a big one that required significant modifications to fit in that car. in the end the car made nearly 1000rwhp.

BUT...here are some things to consider....if you are going to use this as a street car then you are going to hate the C4...especially with the 3.73 gears. I think you'd be better off with a 3.31 gear at most or you are going to run out of RPM before you run out of steam with the turbo. The lack of overdrive with the C4 is going to be miserable to street drive...forget about interstate driving.

You will absolutely have to run a fuel system...stock rails will not cut it. AND with a turbo that big the 42lb injectors aren't going to be enough either.

You didn't mention any sort of turbo kit, just the turbo....am I correct in assuming you just have a turbo and no kit? This is a common big mistake many make....My first recommendation as far as quality and support goes is Hellion Power Systems....on the cheap end you can use an On3 Performance kit...the basic On 3 kit on a stock 5.0 with a B303 cam and GT40 heads will make an EASY 510rwhp(that was on the first pull on the dyno before tuning began)...requiring you to dial it back to avoid scattering the stock block. ....So an aftermarket block is essential for big power.

This is a multi faceted equation though....with the power level you seem to want to achieve you will have to be able to apply that power to the ground which is going to require some serious suspension modifications...just adding control arms won't do a thing and the type of control arm you choose is extermely important.

There is a fine line between street car and dedicated race car so make sure you are aware of what you are doing in relation to your goals for enjoyment. I've been there and got that T shirt and once you cross that line it really isn't as enjoyable if your goal was to enjoy it on the street...maintenance is more, driveability, noise levels and reliability all play a role.
Jordansch (10/18/23)
Old 10/18/23, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by svopaul
Welcome....The 88mm turbo is a big one...personally I don't think you need to go that big as you may have lag issues and you are only going to be able to put so much to the pavement without blowing the tires off. I did an 88mm turbo for a customer on an 05 Mustang and it's a big one that required significant modifications to fit in that car. in the end the car made nearly 1000rwhp.

BUT...here are some things to consider....if you are going to use this as a street car then you are going to hate the C4...especially with the 3.73 gears. I think you'd be better off with a 3.31 gear at most or you are going to run out of RPM before you run out of steam with the turbo. The lack of overdrive with the C4 is going to be miserable to street drive...forget about interstate driving.

You will absolutely have to run a fuel system...stock rails will not cut it. AND with a turbo that big the 42lb injectors aren't going to be enough either.

You didn't mention any sort of turbo kit, just the turbo....am I correct in assuming you just have a turbo and no kit? This is a common big mistake many make....My first recommendation as far as quality and support goes is Hellion Power Systems....on the cheap end you can use an On3 Performance kit...the basic On 3 kit on a stock 5.0 with a B303 cam and GT40 heads will make an EASY 510rwhp(that was on the first pull on the dyno before tuning began)...requiring you to dial it back to avoid scattering the stock block. ....So an aftermarket block is essential for big power.

This is a multi faceted equation though....with the power level you seem to want to achieve you will have to be able to apply that power to the ground which is going to require some serious suspension modifications...just adding control arms won't do a thing and the type of control arm you choose is extermely important.
THANK YOU!! This was extremely helpful! A few things to note though, i do have a pretty good suspension system in the car including adjustable drag shocks as well as a much bigger tire. My heads are ported 170cc Trickflow heads, and I do have a Kit for the turbo. And It's ran on duel wastegates. The C4 is certainly going to be tougher to drive but it's getting a manual valve body swap and I do NOT take it on the freeway even as is its more so around town, to shows & the strip. But like you said too, It is a rather large turbo and a fuel system upgrade is a must. Do you have any suggestion on what size injector/fuel pump I will need? If I am to run a this monster? THANK YOU again for your advice. It was very helpful and exactly what I was looking for
05stangkc (10/18/23)
Old 10/20/23, 06:44 AM
Service Manager

Received 447 Likes on 221 Posts
The manual valve body is great for racing but becomes old on the street when you just want to cruise. The fuel injector size is going to be dependent on how much power you want to make but your starting point will probably be at least a 60 lb/hr injector with the 88mm turbo. Keep in mind a 42lb injector was a stock size injector on the 2nd generation supercharged lightning and you are looking at making significantly more power with what you are planning. As far as a fuel pump....You will need bigger fuel supply lines than stock and aftermarket fuel rails...at that point again, the HP goal is going to play a factor but it sounds like where you are heading you will need something like an Aeromotive A1000 as a starting point. It is 115gph at 45psi and good up to 1000HP in forced induction applications. To use that on the street you will need a Fuel pump speed controller(Aeromotive #16306) and you'll also want an appropriate Fuel pressure regulator like Aeromotive #13101. Beware of chinese knock offs when it comes to any of these parts...there are some that look like Aeromotive but they are not so don't shop by price point, make sure you are getting a genuine product otherwise you're going to be rebuilding a blown up engine.