Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

3" or 2.5" Flows

Search this Thread

Old 5/2/06, 08:09 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know there are many exhaust threads but I just recently bought another 93 convertible. I just thought someone could give me advice on if the 3" or 2.5" flowmaster exhaust has any sound difference. My other 5 foxes had 2.5. And how do I do this again. Do I get the Flowmaster cat back and get high flow cats seperatley, and which cats? Can anyone give me some help. I need the loud,sounds of the Flows like I had in the 80's. Thanks for the help.
Old 5/2/06, 08:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nyyankee @ May 2, 2006, 10:12 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I know there are many exhaust threads but I just recently bought another 93 convertible. I just thought someone could give me advice on if the 3" or 2.5" flowmaster exhaust has any sound difference. My other 5 foxes had 2.5. And how do I do this again. Do I get the Flowmaster cat back and get high flow cats seperatley, and which cats? Can anyone give me some help. I need the loud,sounds of the Flows like I had in the 80's. Thanks for the help.
[/b][/quote]

Personally I like the sound of the 2.5 inch Flowmasters better than the 3 inch. If you want the classic Flowmaster sound, check out their website. They just released the classic two chamber flows which will give you the old Flowmaster sound your looking for.

Flowmaster 2 Chambers

They only come in 2.25 inch and 2.50 inch so if you go with these 2.50 inch is the largest size available. Plus they are only available for sale on the website.

If you don't want those then go for a 40 series muffler with 2.5 inch pipe diameter.

Check out this link for the sound level difference for each type of Flowmaster muffler:

Flowmaster Muffler Sound Levels

As for the high flow cats you have to buy them seperate from the exhaust. My advice is to look around because you can either get an H pipe or an X pipe section. The X pipe will give you a more raspy sound and a little less torque than the H pipe. I'm getting a MAC H pipe for my car. It comes it two pieces so it's much easier to install then a one piece unit.

MAC High Flow H Pipe

Add some shorty headers to the above set up and your neighbors will really hate you!!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]

Hope all this helps. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

One last thing, I would check your local noise laws before you spend a lot of cash on an exhaust only to find it's too loud to go through inspection.

Jim
Old 5/2/06, 09:09 PM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(StangFreak @ May 2, 2006, 10:58 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Personally I like the sound of the 2.5 inch Flowmasters better than the 3 inch. If you want the classic Flowmaster sound, check out their website. They just released the classic two chamber flows which will give you the old Flowmaster sound your looking for.

Flowmaster 2 Chambers

They only come in 2.25 inch and 2.50 inch so if you go with these 2.50 inch is the largest size available. Plus they are only available for sale on the website.

If you don't want those then go for a 40 series muffler with 2.5 inch pipe diameter.

Check out this link for the sound level difference for each type of Flowmaster muffler:

Flowmaster Muffler Sound Levels
As for the high flow cats you have to buy them seperate from the exhaust. My advice is to look around because you can either get an H pipe or an X pipe section. The X pipe will give you a more raspy sound and a little less torque than the H pipe. I'm getting a MAC H pipe for my car. It comes it two pieces so it's much easier to install then a one piece unit.

MAC High Flow H Pipe
Add some shorty headers to the above set up and your neighbors will really hate you!!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]

Hope all this helps. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

One last thing, I would check your local noise laws before you spend a lot of cash on an exhaust only to find it's too loud to go through inspection.

Jim
[/b][/quote]

Thanks Jim. this is why I love this site.
Old 5/2/06, 10:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nyyankee @ May 2, 2006, 11:12 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Thanks Jim. this is why I love this site.
[/b][/quote]

No problem, it's my pleasure!!!

I noticed your avatar, are you a NY fire fighter??? If so [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] to FDNY. What you guys did on 9/11 is nothing short of amazing. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/worship.gif[/img]

Just wanted to let you know you and your fellow FDNY brothers are not forgotten. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/patriot.gif[/img]
Old 5/3/06, 07:49 AM
GT Member

thanks
Old 5/5/06, 09:36 AM
V6 Member

3" will roar a lot more than 2.5", plus it is overkill for flow - 2.5" flows enough for well into the 500hp range...