1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Took some pics this weekend !

Search this Thread

Old 9/20/04, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My father had been thinking about doing this for many years. He recently completed another restoration project and decided it was the perfect time to empty the garage and take some family pics. Mind you some of these cars haven't been washed or even started in 10 years so taking them all out was almost an event by itself. Some people even showed up to see that... These are not fuel injected / electronic ignition engines guys. One car had a clogged fuel line but they all started surpisingly well. We got to work friday afternoon to finally be able to take pictures sunday afternoon. During the whole weekend, my father did some wrenching while I was washing and waxing the cars.

First car on the list is a 1969 Ford Cobra. Looks like grandpa's car, right ? Well, make sure you don't race grandpa cause he's got a 335 HP / 400+ FT-LBS 428 cubic inch engine under the hood. Transmission is a 4sp manual. This car could surprise a fair share of people on the road

If you're a Mustang fan, you've definitely heard about the Mustang Boss 302. What you may not be aware of is that Mercury Cougars (Mustang's cousin in these years) could also be ordered with that engine. This is one of about 300 Cougar Eliminator Boss 302 made in 1970. Obviously, Boss 302 Cougars were always equipped with a 4sp transmission. Power output was well over standard 302 at 290 HP / 290 TQ. Redline is at 7000 RPM.

Will you pardon me if I post a few pictures of a Honda ? Yeah, yeah, I know... but this is not your run of the mill Civic. This is a 1967 Honda S600, father of the S2000. Like the S2000, the S600 is named after its displacement. Yes, it's a 600cc engine producing 57 HP at 8500 RPM. Next to a Miata, this thing would look small. At 6' tall, I haven't even tried to get in it. Take a close look at the tachometer.

I can hear you now. So, where the heck are the Mustangs ? :shrug: Well, fasten your seatbelt cause here they come !!!

Next car is a 1968 Mustang. Dad bought the car cause it had the Boss 302 engine he needed for the Cougar. Previous owner had started a Shelby conversion so it is not original at all. The plan was to drop in a standard 302 and put the car up for sale. Mom liked the vert so much (before she bought her own) that dad decided to keep the car. Beside that, it is a real head turner.

This is the car my dad drove daily in the 70s and 80s. A 1969 Mach1 428 Cobra Jet w/ 4sp manual transmission. Another 335 HP / 400+ FT-LBS beast. As you can see, it is not in original condition but it has never been restored (maybe a father and son project ) Every single long time friend of my father has a story about that car. Rumor has it that it laid some rubber on a few ( ) occasions, confirmed by the presence of a line lock on the transmission tunnel

And, finally, last but not the least, the 1970 Boss 429. Back in the day, Ford's way of thinking was "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday". Competition was pretty intense and Ford was commited to win races. This engine was specifically built for Nascar racing domination. Problem was that Ford had to sell this engine in a car that was available to the public or it could not be used in Nascar. It would have been easy to drop it in a Torino but the decision was made to put it in a Mustang. Engine bay had to be widened and suspension modified to accomodate the "Hemi" engine. Ford contracted Kar Kraft to pull the job. Most people think Ford lost money on every single Boss 429 they sold, which would explain why so few were made. A little more than 700 in 69 and 500 in 70 (Nascar rules required 500 "street cars"). In its detuned street form, this engine produces 375 HP and 450 FT-LBS. To many enthusiasts, this is the most desirable Mustang ever produced. Now, let me shut up and post some pics B)

This is what it looked like from the roof of our house

EDIT: JUST REMOVED PICTURES OF THE NEWER CARS.
Old 9/20/04, 08:38 PM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh wow! now THAT is a collection! VERY impressive.

:worship:
Old 9/20/04, 08:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

You surely brought back some memories. Thanks! Gorgeous cars!
Old 9/20/04, 09:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Avenger@September 20, 2004, 8:26 PM
My father had been thinking about doing this for many years. He recently completed another restoration project and decided it was the perfect time to empty the garage and take some family pics. Mind you some of these cars haven't been washed or even started in 10 years so taking them all out was almost an event by itself. Some people even showed up to see that... These are not fuel injected / electronic ignition engines guys. One car had a clogged fuel line but they all started surpisingly well. We got to work friday afternoon to finally be able to take pictures sunday afternoon. During the whole weekend, my father did some wrenching while I was washing and waxing the cars.

First car on the list is a 1969 Ford Cobra. Looks like grandpa's car, right ? Well, make sure you don't race grandpa cause he's got a 335 HP / 400+ FT-LBS 428 cubic inch engine under the hood. Transmission is a 4sp manual. This car could surprise a fair share of people on the road

If you're a Mustang fan, you've definitely heard about the Mustang Boss 302. What you may not be aware of is that Mercury Cougars (Mustang's cousin in these years) could also be ordered with that engine. This is one of about 300 Cougar Eliminator Boss 302 made in 1970. Obviously, Boss 302 Cougars were always equipped with a 4sp transmission. Power output was well over standard 302 at 290 HP / 290 TQ. Redline is at 7000 RPM.

Will you pardon me if I post a few pictures of a Honda ? Yeah, yeah, I know... but this is not your run of the mill Civic. This is a 1967 Honda S600, father of the S2000. Like the S2000, the S600 is named after its displacement. Yes, it's a 600cc engine producing 57 HP at 8500 RPM. Next to a Miata, this thing would look small. At 6' tall, I haven't even tried to get in it. Take a close look at the tachometer.

I can hear you now. So, where the heck are the Mustangs ? :shrug: Well, fasten your seatbelt cause here they come !!!

Let's start with the daily drivers, not much to say about these cars so I'll just post pics.

Dad's 97 SVT Cobra

Mom's 02 GT

My 99 GT

Next car is a 1968 Mustang. Dad bought the car cause it had the Boss 302 engine he needed for the Cougar. Previous owner had started a Shelby conversion so it is not original at all. The plan was to drop in a standard 302 and put the car up for sale. Mom liked the vert so much (before she bought her own) that dad decided to keep the car. Beside that, it is a real head turner.

This is the car my dad drove daily in the 70s and 80s. A 1969 Mach1 428 Cobra Jet w/ 4sp manual transmission. Another 335 HP / 400+ FT-LBS beast. As you can see, it is not in original condition but it has never been restored (maybe a father and son project ) Every single long time friend of my father has a story about that car. Rumor has it that it laid some rubber on a few ( ) occasions, confirmed by the presence of a line lock on the transmission tunnel

And, finally, last but not the least, the 1970 Boss 429. Back in the day, Ford's way of thinking was "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday". Competition was pretty intense and Ford was commited to win races. This engine was specifically built for Nascar racing domination. Problem was that Ford had to sell this engine in a car that was available to the public or it could not be used in Nascar. It would have been easy to drop it in a Torino but the decision was made to put it in a Mustang. Engine bay had to be widened and suspension modified to accomodate the "Hemi" engine. Ford contracted Kar Kraft to pull the job. Most people think Ford lost money on every single Boss 429 they sold, which would explain why so few were made. A little more than 700 in 69 and 500 in 70 (Nascar rules required 500 "street cars"). In its detuned street form, this engine produces 375 HP and 450 FT-LBS. To many enthusiasts, this is the most desirable Mustang ever produced. Now, let me shut up and post some pics B)

This is what it looked like from the roof of our house

Comments are welcome !
Alex, ever see one of these baby's hold 9g's from the factory {stock}? and I don't mean just giving it a quick shot, up to 9 grand. I mean holding it. I did years ago! could'nt believe it.{awesome} was awesome on the ears to! by the way, want to adopt me into your family?
Old 9/20/04, 09:22 PM
Jay
Mach 1 Member

Can you resize those pics a bit? Impressive but a PIA to view.
Old 9/20/04, 09:34 PM

Originally posted by Jay@September 20, 2004, 9:25 PM
I'm sorry Jay but I really can't. I'm on dialup and it took me about 2 hours to upload these pictures yesterday. Don't want to do it once again. If you save them to your computer and open them, they will simply fill the screen.

Sorry I can't help you
Old 9/20/04, 09:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
those are so awesome just a quicck question are those stripes for the mach aftermarket the only times ive seen those were here on some forum but no where else... have you written up those wills yet i want the 68 cs 69 mach 1
70 boss 429 69 cobra aw heck just give me all of em
Old 9/20/04, 09:42 PM

OMG Awesome Car overload, I can only wish to have one of those cars in that collection someday
Old 9/20/04, 10:47 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah that about sums it all up. btw i especialy like the california Special. i'm looking into purchasing one near my house at a local mustang parts/resto place. i just need to call for a price, the store wasnt open today :bang:
Old 9/21/04, 05:17 AM
Bullitt Member

All that in one garage? I think I have found heaven....
Old 9/21/04, 05:57 AM

Wow, I am truly jealous! And that isn't something I'm driven to easily!
All of those cars are just too cool. Even the Honda, which looks to be in excellent condition! :worship: :worship: :worship:
Old 9/21/04, 06:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
WOW, very nice!!!!!
Old 9/21/04, 06:35 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Avenger+September 20, 2004, 10:37 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Avenger @ September 20, 2004, 10:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Jay@September 20, 2004, 9:25 PM
I'm sorry Jay but I really can't. I'm on dialup and it took me about 2 hours to upload these pictures yesterday. Don't want to do it once again. If you save them to your computer and open them, they will simply fill the screen.

Sorry I can't help you [/b][/quote]
Actually, if you would have re-sized them, you probably could've uploaded in 20 minutes instead of 2 hours... At over 1MB / picture, it's still 2 minutes+ to even view them on DSL, and someone quoting your original post (thereby posting a second copy of all the pics) sure didn't help the paging factor in this thread... They could have still been full-screen (wallpaper) size with only about 10% of the byte size with some internet friendly resizing. Most camera software has resizing ability as well as even simple programs like Microsoft Paint.

Of course, you COULD HAVE simply posted links to the pictures, so viewers would only spend time downloading the pictures that interested them the most:
1970 Cougar Eliminator Boss 302
1969 Mach I 428CJ

Then again, this site DOES have an Intros & Car Photos section where the "look at me" posts belong anyway. Maybe a mod can move this????????????????????????????????

BTW, nice pics - I saw them on one of the other forums you posted them on.
Old 9/21/04, 06:43 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That is a lovely collection, does your dad have room for an adopted son??

Also, on the group shot (below), there is a trashed car behind the garage, what is it?

James
Old 9/21/04, 08:13 AM

Merlot, beside the Honda, which of these engines can withstand 9000 RPM :shock:

GT350Clone, pictures have already been resized, they were about 2MB each. I'll shrink them more next time. As far as posting this on other forums, I thought I would reach different people by also posting them here, which I apparently did.

jgsmuzzy, trashed car is a Maverick, don't know what year

cntchds, these are modified 69 Boss302 stripes
Old 9/21/04, 02:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

Great pics and some VERY awesome cars!! next time u bring them out, give me a call, I'll help!!!