1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Thunderhorse: '68 project

Search this Thread

Old 1/3/08, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thunderhorse: '68 project

I need help in building the '68 coupe I have into a road car. Aside from the obvious needs of floor pans and a fender or two I need help on the performance side. The car has an old 6 cylinder sitting under its hood and I am replacing it. I currently have a H.O. 302 block, the forgerd pistons and double sump oil pan. I need suggestions and thoughts on what would be best. I'm not looking for any insane number of horse power (maybe around 300-400) and I'm not making a 1/4 mile car either. I have long stretches of highway that I drive and I want a car that can cut corners and yet still make power. So, what would be best for my build?

Engine mods: which intake, cams, and carbuerator setup work best?
Transmission: T5 -OR- T56?
Axle: 9" -OR- 8.8" ?
Gears: like I said not making a 1/4 mile car so which are best for the road?

Just looking for help and direction with this.
Old 1/3/08, 06:18 PM
x21
Bullitt Member

Brakes?
Seriously, just make sure you have the proper setup to accomodate that anticipated V8's power.
As far as direction goes- it depends on how much money you are willing to put into it and/or modifications to make.
Heads, exhaust, cam, induction (EFI or carburated, naturally aspired or forced), ignition system- shouldnt be a problem using any number, or even a few of those to make your power goals. Just make sure the rest of the car can handle it
Old 1/4/08, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by x21
Brakes?
Yes, brakes is nice

Originally Posted by x21
Seriously, just make sure you have the proper setup to accomodate that anticipated V8's power.
Which is why I'm on here seeking advice.

Originally Posted by x21
As far as direction goes- it depends on how much money you are willing to put into it and/or modifications to make.
Heads, exhaust, cam, induction (EFI or carburated, naturally aspired or forced), ignition system- shouldnt be a problem using any number, or even a few of those to make your power goals. Just make sure the rest of the car can handle it
Well, I'm wanting to see what would be best for use for the engine, transmission and rear gears for a road car. I'm hoping to make a list of what I need to get and just check things off as I go. Money isn't a problem for me so long as I budget things reasonably. I'm just wanting to make a well built Resto-mod that I can enjoy
Old 1/4/08, 11:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally I'd look at the new Boss block, maybe punched out to 330 or so w/ fuel injection, five speed, and 3.55 or so gears in the rear... just a thought
Old 1/5/08, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Strickland
Personally I'd look at the new Boss block, maybe punched out to 330 or so w/ fuel injection, five speed, and 3.55 or so gears in the rear... just a thought
Really? I hadn't thought about mocking the new Boss block with it. Anyone know where I can find a write up of that? A link maybe?
Old 1/5/08, 11:02 AM
x21
Bullitt Member

What are your plans for replacing the six- based parts for stronger V-8 based ones? Even guys I know that keep (and hop up) their sixes usually like upgrading everything else around it. I would recommend browsing for doing a 6 to 8 swap in the early mustangs, so you know what to expect before you drop in a v8.
Old 1/5/08, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by x21
What are your plans for replacing the six- based parts for stronger V-8 based ones? Even guys I know that keep (and hop up) their sixes usually like upgrading everything else around it.
I was heavily considering buying the Falcon Performance Handbook I've heard about but had the 302 fall into my lap unexpectedly. Do the guys you know have any site/book references I can have?

Originally Posted by x21
I would recommend browsing for doing a 6 to 8 swap in the early mustangs, so you know what to expect before you drop in a v8.
Well, I shot an e-mail on over to a couple places that sell things like suspensions and so far the only response I've gotten has been to buy a full Grab-A-Trak suspension package as it comes with most everything necessary suspension wise. I've thumbed through the auto section at my local Barnes & Charnoble and haven't found much there in the way of I6 to V8 engine swap Resto-Mod books. I did however find a website for swapping a T-5 into my '04 V6 that seemed cool and yet a headache. I've got limited time when I have it to look online. Most searches I run are usually swapping out one V8 for another larger V8.
Old 1/5/08, 02:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by DethHorse
Really? I hadn't thought about mocking the new Boss block with it. Anyone know where I can find a write up of that? A link maybe?
Muscle Mustangs&Fast Fords did up a 347ci with the Boss Block for their Project Stolen Goods. A pretty interesting read all around really.
Old 1/5/08, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Strickland
Muscle Mustangs&Fast Fords did up a 347ci with the Boss Block for their Project Stolen Goods. A pretty interesting read all around really.
Cool. I'll definately check that out. Thanks, Strickland.
Old 1/5/08, 03:04 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

if your gonna have 3-400 horse, i would go with the 8.8 rear and 3.25s or so out back....

3.50's are nice, but are totally gonna kill your mileage and top speed.... plus with that much horse you really dont need that high of gears unless your going for a 1/4 mile car..

i say the 8.8 cause its just as good as the 9 for a streetable car... the 9 is way beefier and better for very high horse applications.

others may have diff opinions
Old 1/5/08, 07:30 PM
x21
Bullitt Member

For the 6 to 8 swap, try this-
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/3...l/67I6tov8.htm
Old 1/6/08, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by n8rfastback
if your gonna have 3-400 horse, i would go with the 8.8 rear and 3.25s or so out back....
3.50's are nice, but are totally gonna kill your mileage and top speed.... plus with that much horse you really dont need that high of gears unless your going for a 1/4 mile car..
i say the 8.8 cause its just as good as the 9 for a streetable car... the 9 is way beefier and better for very high horse applications.
others may have diff opinions
Originally Posted by x21
Thank you both.