1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

A/T kick-down linkage

Search this Thread

Old 3/22/05 | 05:26 PM
V6 Member

As I posted my 72 is in having the tranny rebuilt. I stopped in to check progress this afternoon and it had actually been sent to the alignment shop to get the front end done. But the mechanic was telling me that the carb is not set up properly for the tranny. I have a Holley 750 and an FMX tranny. Appearnetly I do not have the A/T Kick-down linkage that goes between the carb and the tranny or the bracket that connects to the carb. I found the bracket in the new JEGS catalog but have not been able to find the likage. I saw a A/T kick-down cable in a couple of the mustang catalogs, but I dodn't know if that is what I need. Does anyone out there have this set-up or any additional information?

Thanks
John
Old 3/22/05 | 06:41 PM

[attachmentid=15428]If it has a bracket I am pretty sure you need a rod and not a cable. The cable usually attaches to an extension that is welded onto the accelerator pedal assembly, the cable attaches directly to the accelerator.

My '65 had a bracket but was missing the kick down rod, had to throw it into the lower setting to get the same result. I added a '66 accelerator assembly and a cable, the rod has been impossible to find. You might have better luck since yours is a newer model with the C6 tranny. NPD has a kickdown rod for the 1969 428 engine, but it's 125 bucks and it may not fit. You might try ebay and see what comes up.

Hope this helps, MikeR
Old 3/23/05 | 04:49 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by chemeng@March 22, 2005, 7:44 PM
[attachmentid=15428]If it has a bracket I am pretty sure you need a rod and not a cable. The cable usually attaches to an extension that is welded onto the accelerator pedal assembly, the cable attaches directly to the accelerator.

My '65 had a bracket but was missing the kick down rod, had to throw it into the lower setting to get the same result. I added a '66 accelerator assembly and a cable, the rod has been impossible to find. You might have better luck since yours is a newer model with the C6 tranny. NPD has a kickdown rod for the 1969 428 engine, but it's 125 bucks and it may not fit. You might try ebay and see what comes up.

Hope this helps, MikeR
Thanks I'll Keep looking,
Old 3/24/05 | 05:14 PM
V6 Member

look, you don't really need the kickdown linkage. I have 69mach1 with the FMX tranny and I run a holley 650 I tossed that linkage a long time ago. Went you want passing gear down shift into 2nd. That's all the linkage really does. Install a shift kit for the fmx and it will be really fun to bark the tires when you want to.
Old 3/24/05 | 07:10 PM
V6 Member

I get my 72 back from the shop tomorrow. The Tranny was rebuilt I beleive for the first time. While they had it apart I had them install the shift kit. Also had the universals replaced, the carb tuned and the front end aligned. I had replaced tie rods and most of the bushings over the winter so it was a real scary 2 mile drive to the shop when I took it in. I am going to drive as is (without the linkage) for now. I got a line on one. But I may not install it right away I am thinking of changing out the carb to and edelbrock performer.

But I think I am about at my spending limit for a little while. $1000.00 for all that work.

Can't wait to drive it tomorrow
:drive: