GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Saleen Short Shifter Review

Search this Thread

Old 10/20/05, 07:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, it is technically just a short shifter adapter. Bought direct from Saleen last Friday evening. Arrived today. I was going to wait until the weekend to install it, but it looked so simple I had to do it tonight.

All you need for the install is some red loctite, a 13mm socket, a 15mm socket, and a ratchet. The Saleen directions, though bound in a nice black binder, made the install seem more difficult than it really was.

1. Put car on ramps or jack stands.
2. Using the 13mm socket, reach up over the exhaust and unbolt the nut that holds the shift linkage together.
3. Slide the shift linkage off and pry out the two white plastic bushings from each side of the bottom of the shifter.
4. Push those same plastic bushings into the Saleen adapter.
5. Slide the end of the Saleen adapter that has the plastic bushings onto the linkage bar and thread the 13mm nut back on a few turns--don't tighten yet.
6. Put the aluminum spacer/standoff supplied by Saleen through the bottom of the shifter.
7. Push the Saleen adapter, now connected to the linkage, up onto the bottom of the shifter and thread the 15mm bolt supplied by Saleen in, using some red loctite on the end and tighten snugly.
8. Now start to tighten the 13mm stock nut until it draws the linkage bolt all the way through and the bushings are just barely snugged against the linkage and nut.
9. DONE!

Very easy install, with the hardest part being the tight quarters underneath. Once you get underneath you realize that you don't even need the directions. The only pitfall I ran into was snugging the stock nut back on a little too tight initially. It made the 1-2 shift a little firm, so I tried backing it off a few turns (it is a stover type of locknut) and that was all it needed--it is now as smooth as stock.

So, how does it feel? Perfect!!! It is as smooth as the stock shifter in feel, with just a hair more effort to shift into each gear. The throws are tight, crisp, and noticably shorter than stock. There is no problem getting into any of the gears. I can't believe this was only a $30 (plus shipping) mod.

Two big thumbs up for Saleen!

Thanks to Sonic Brew and others for taking the dive before me!
Old 10/21/05, 10:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the write up. I installed the stedda bushings a while ago, and was thinking about getting the saleen adapter.
Old 10/21/05, 06:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

**Update now that I've driven it for a day** Changed my impressions regarding the throw effort I reported earlier--when actually driving the car (not just sitting still and shifting), the throws take a bit more effort than stock. Nothing crazy, just a little more effort. The shortness of the actual throws is great and all in all this is a freakin' tremendous mod for the money.

My plan was to get this to tide me over until the MGW shifter for the 05+ is released and getting good reviews. Now it's going to be very hard to justify the expense, as this is exactly the shifter feel I was looking for.

Kluski, how do you like the Steeda bushings? I don't really feel the need for them (stock shifter definitely doesn't feel "sloppy" now), but for another $15 I figure they may be worth trying.
Old 10/24/05, 10:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

It was actually $24 after shipping. But for $24 it was great. It did tighten things a little. About as much as you can expect for $24. It was an easy install too. But as you mention, I am not sure if it is worth it when you put the short throw adaptor in.
Old 10/24/05, 06:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Kluski@October 24, 2005, 10:45 AM
It was actually $24 after shipping. But for $24 it was great. It did tighten things a little. About as much as you can expect for $24. It was an easy install too. But as you mention, I am not sure if it is worth it when you put the short throw adaptor in.
Cool, thanks. I'll probably leave it as is for now.
Old 10/24/05, 08:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My shifter took more effort orginally too, but we did tighten the peices down tight. After some time however, I think its been a week, it seems just as easy as the stock shifter. I don't know if I got used to extra effort, or if it just loosened up but its fine now.
Old 10/25/05, 09:12 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Can someone post a link to get this from Saleen? Cal-Mustang wants $40 for the thing!
Old 10/25/05, 01:44 PM
Bullitt Member

I might have to go for this
Old 10/25/05, 02:03 PM
GT Member

It is really designed to be used with a taller shift ****, that will help in reducing any effort.

The stock **** sits really low, compared to the Saleen shift ****.
Old 10/25/05, 02:19 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by MTAS@October 25, 2005, 7:15 PM
Can someone post a link to get this from Saleen? Cal-Mustang wants $40 for the thing!

www.saleen.com
Old 10/25/05, 04:20 PM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by MTAS@October 25, 2005, 10:15 AM
Saleen Short Throw Shifter

Good rewiew. Plus I sat in a Saleen vert in a dealers showroom on Sunday, I really liked the feel with the Saleen shift ****.
Old 10/25/05, 06:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by av99gt@October 25, 2005, 2:06 PM
It is really designed to be used with a taller shift ****, that will help in reducing any effort.

The stock **** sits really low, compared to the Saleen shift ****.
Just installed my new MGW **** and since it uses a set screw, I was able to set it about 1/2" higher than stock. This helped it two ways--keeps my elbow from dragging on top of the center console when I'm going for fast shifts, and also did slightly help out with the shift effort. After a few days of driving it, I'd already gotten used to the effort, though. That's why they call it a muscle car!
Old 11/16/05, 11:54 PM
GT Member

Should the silver sleeve which is provided by Saleen that fits into the bottom of the original shifter be lubricated?

Also should the plastic bushungs be re-lubricated? I seem to remember some white grease on the plastic bushings.
Old 11/17/05, 09:22 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by DENVER05GT@November 17, 2005, 12:57 AM
Should the silver sleeve which is provided by Saleen that fits into the bottom of the original shifter be lubricated?

Also should the plastic bushungs be re-lubricated? I seem to remember some white grease on the plastic bushings.

The AL saleen piece is meant to move with the stock part so it does not need lube it so be nice and tight, use loctite on the new bolt. The bushings can be lube on the ID holes. The bushings are a tight fit into the block so that they don't move.
Old 11/17/05, 10:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I got mine in yesterday. I can't wait to install it. Too much real work getting in the way of my fun.
Old 11/17/05, 11:07 AM
9 is not my lucky number.

My steeda shifter felt tight too, as in took more force to move the stick. Then I realized I tightened the 13mm nut way too tight. Back it off a little and use threadlocker and it will be loose again.
Old 12/13/05, 07:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

Sorry to resurrect this thread from the dead, but I need some help. You guys had three pieces? I only have two. There's nothing in my instructions that mention putting a silver bushing on the bottom of the shifter. I emailed steeda though, they said there are three pieces. I have an email into California Mustang (where I ordered from) to get me the third piece.

Anyone got any pictures?
Old 12/13/05, 07:24 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by MTAS@October 25, 2005, 9:15 AM
http://www.saleen.com/SC101_Services/SC101...=10-2705-B11516

I finally got mine yesterday. Only took 26 days for Saleen to get it to me :bang:
Install is simple. Shifts are short and quite firm. I would say I overall I am pretty pleased with the outcome.
Old 12/13/05, 07:27 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by BuzzyStang05@December 13, 2005, 8:22 PM
Sorry to resurrect this thread from the dead, but I need some help. You guys had three pieces? I only have two. There's nothing in my instructions that mention putting a silver bushing on the bottom of the shifter. I emailed steeda though, they said there are three pieces. I have an email into California Mustang (where I ordered from) to get me the third piece.

Anyone got any pictures?

Sorry, no pictures. But mine came with three pieces. The adaptor block, a 13mm bolt, and a metal sleeve.
Old 12/14/05, 10:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Anyone know why they chose to use permanent threadlock instead of a longer bolt and a nut? Just curious.

Quick Reply: Saleen Short Shifter Review