1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

revese lights stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 4/20/06, 05:37 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Ok...so my REVERSE not "revese" lights don't work anymore....I tried to change the fuse, but that didnt seem to work....well actually, it didnt work at all. Also...my under-dash lights don't work either, and the light in my glove box...it sounds like a fuse, but it looks like I'm just con'fused". [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img] ..pun intended. help appreciated.
Old 4/21/06, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you notice if this all happened at the same time? I know the reverse lights are something you probably wouldn't notice right away.
They're on sepreate circuits so I don't think it would be a fuse that popped for both problems.
First thing to check for the reverse lights would be at the connector where the harness comes up from the tranny to the ignition wiring harness right around the master cylinder.
Unplug it and use a meter to see if you're getting any voltage there when you put it in reverse.
If you're not it's probably a bad neutral safety switch if it's an auto or a bad reverse switch if it's a stick.
If you do get voltage well then it's further on down the line. Check the ground and bulb housing at the backups.

For the courtsey lights: Do they come on if you manually put them on using the light switch ****?
Or do they come in with one door and not the other? If they com eon with one door and not the other it could be the push button in the door jamb. I've had those go bad before.
If they don't come on at all or even with the light switch it could be a bad headlamp switch.
Also check the grounds. Fords are horrible with improper grounding causing electrical problems.

Hope this gives you a place to start.

Erick