1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

recommendations for restoration

Search this Thread

Old 8/2/05, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently purchased a 1970 Mustang 4V convertible from a friend. Other than tuning up the motor (all original) and some minor touch up on the body, would anyone recomend cloning it into a shelby GT500 convertible, or just kee it all original?

Thanks!
Old 8/2/05, 09:29 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Welcome to the site Eddie! Classics are not my strong point, but I say, its your car, do what makes you happy.

Im gonna move this to the classics area for you and you should get some great advice there
Old 8/2/05, 11:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

If i were you i'd keep it close to original, there are so many clones coming up its so hard to find a good ol' car, but it never hurts to modify that 302 a little bit

also, welcome to the site Eddie!
Old 8/2/05, 12:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Tastefully original I'd say. You can do engine and suspension upgrades, but building a "clone" would be crazy.
What color is it?
Old 8/2/05, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by 35thGT@August 2, 2005, 12:24 PM
Tastefully original I'd say. You can do engine and suspension upgrades, but building a "clone" would be crazy.
What color is it?
Thanks for the advise! Its red, black interior and black top. I'm going to post a picture next week when it comes out of the shop...its getting tuned up, has 82K original miles, only two owners. My buddy who sold it to me said it was garage kept for almost 20 years (before he got his hands on it). I can't wait to get this thing going.

Thanks again.
Old 8/2/05, 06:00 PM

Originally posted by 63galaxie@August 2, 2005, 11:48 AM
If i were you i'd keep it close to original, there are so many clones coming up its so hard to find a good ol' car, but it never hurts to modify that 302 a little bit

Working on the engine mods as we speak. Thanks for the advise!
Old 8/2/05, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by Scothew@August 2, 2005, 9:32 AM
Welcome to the site Eddie! Classics are not my strong point, but I say, its your car, do what makes you happy.

Im gonna move this to the classics area for you and you should get some great advice there

I appreciate it, thanks. Great site by the way.
Old 8/2/05, 06:06 PM

Originally posted by 63galaxie@August 2, 2005, 11:48 AM

Thanks for the advise Tanner. I decided to keep it all original. During the winter months, I am going do a complete restoration. The last one was done over 10 years ago and is showing some wear. Besides, I need to make this baby into the classic I always wanted.
Old 8/3/05, 09:41 AM
V6 Member

Actually you very rarely see a 69-70 Shelby clone. For that reason is that you need a whole lot of expensive fiberglass body panels that add up in price as well as a whole new grille and trim. Then you need the hood, the scoops, the stripes, the rear tailights... its almost like buying a whole new car with these parts. You could do what I did if you want a unique look...on my 69 coupe I added the Shelby convertible side scoops and I'm tempted to get the ducktail spoiler trunk lid.
Old 8/3/05, 10:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

dingo, your car looks awesome! I've seen more clones from earlier years and i agree htat 69-70's are less common clones. I just don't like to see a good classic car used to copy a rare car even if it raises its value, same with restomods, i dont like to see a classic with big rims, a Cobra motor, HUGE sound system and all that...
Old 8/3/05, 03:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

I say go full shelby clone you won't regret it
Old 8/5/05, 09:50 AM
Cobra Member

buy a vowel:

E L E A N _ R

Old 8/7/05, 12:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 116 Likes on 86 Posts
If you keep it original, you have a beautiful original and you can choose to restomod somewhere down the line if you want.

If you restomod it and then decide you preferred original instead, you blew a wad of cash learning that.

Keep it original for a while. Then decide.

Personally, I say keep it original. Remember, Elvis was cool, Elvis impersonators are sad!
Old 8/8/05, 03:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Eddie, the first question you have to ask yourself is what do you intend to do with the car. If it is something you are going to keep for a number of years, pass along to the kids etc... then by all means bring the car up to today's safety standards, via suspension upgrades, wheels/tires, fuel delivery, cooling , braking and induction. You will get better performance and piece of mind. The technology used 35 years ago was great...35 years ago. If you are going to enjoy the car as a driver, improve and upgrade.
Should you decide to make the car a temporary keeper (not an investment) then make improvements with originality in mind. Proper rebuild kits, suspension bushing upgrades, shocks etc go a long way to improving on the original set ups, without deviating from show points. Keep interior make-over to factory specs, use exterior paint colors from original codes, but with today's 2 or 3 stage systems.
Should you decide that you are not sure what to do, make all changes with originality in mind, keep every/any original part you remove from the car, and have the work done by a professional restoration shop that has done 69-70 mustangs in the past. You will want to see pics of prior jobs, and you should call the owners and go see the finished work if possible.
The worst choice to make is the one where you look for the cheapest way out. That is always the most expensive in the long run. Good luck, IMO you have one of the best body styles to work with. For a subtle conversion, upgrade, enhancement, have you thought about a 429 Boss convertible??!!
Just for thought!
Old 8/11/05, 11:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Considering that production of the 70' Mustang convertible is something like 7,000 units (I forget the real number but it is low) I say if it's close to original now and has managed to stay that way for over 35 years, than the car (yours now or not) deserves to remain that way. If it were badly mangled once or had a variety of incorrect parts over the years than do what you want to it.

You are really the only one who can decide, either you are simply the owner to do as you please or you are the current caretaker of a piece of history that will hopefully outlive you and yuors for generations to come.

When my 69' vert was original, matching and solid I kept it original and had no intentions of F---ing with that. Now that it is totalled and can never be original again, rather than let it rot and part out I am rebuilding it custom since I feel that a second life is better than none, making the best of a bad scenario.
Old 8/11/05, 02:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Paris MkVI@August 7, 2005, 11:44 AM
If you keep it original, you have a beautiful original and you can choose to restomod somewhere down the line if you want.

If you restomod it and then decide you preferred original instead, you blew a wad of cash learning that.

Keep it original for a while. Then decide.

Personally, I say keep it original. Remember, Elvis was cool, Elvis impersonators are sad!
yes ... i am faced with a similar choice ... I have a 69 mach 1; took me a very long time to find one in a straight body and a good runner; not a daily driver, but good enough for 3 or 4 a week in short trips; although i am confident in going a good distance too

I have some hard choices to make and for now, i am consulting with engine and body pros to get all the facts before i drop the wad of cash.

You can always make it go faster later; personally I am leaning towards investing in the body, strenghting the car as needed, and investing in making it a daily driver and save the 351 for future enhancement

good luck
Old 8/13/05, 09:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 116 Likes on 86 Posts
Richard, I remember reading about your '69 getting hit. It still makes me sick to think about it, as I am sure it does for you as well. I am truly sorry. My first pony was a '69 coupe. It was never anywhere as nice as yours (it was a daily driver) but man oh man I LOVED that car. It was so much fun.

I am glad you are going to rebuild. Even if she won't be original anymore, she will still be beautiful.
Old 9/11/05, 07:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Check out this forum link. It has some more info about converting to a Shelby.