1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

I6 200 upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 7/15/11, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I6 200 upgrades

I tried a search before asking so forgive me if this kind of question is out there.

I want a little more performance (not looking for a rocket) out if my 66 straight 6.

I've got a dual out header from Classic Inlines with a single Arvinode exhaust set up from them on the way too.

I was thinking about installing a DUI dizzy and a weber 32/36 DVG 2 barrel (1 barrel most of the time 2 barrel after 2/3 throttle on an adapter plate (can't mill the log intake due to $).

Again, I'm not looking for a race car just a little better performance without throwing money away on parts that won't help.

Any input anyone can offer is beyond appreciated.
Old 7/15/11, 03:55 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
manual or automatic?
Old 7/15/11, 05:25 PM

Sorry (and thanks) automatic (c4). Everything is stock at the moment.
Old 7/15/11, 06:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
The log is going to dictate your performance, and by that, I mean nothing to speak of. It is **** poor for performance of any kind. It barely does the job, to be honest. Pouring more gas from a restricted airflow flange into it won't help a whole lot, you ask me. I'd say maybe, if you're lucky, 10%, and even that I'm thinking is rather generous.

If I had to do it over, I'd either have gotten the Offy heads(?) that let ya do 3 2bbls, or, simply because the **** thing is already rather stupidly made for induction, sawed off the log and fabricated 5.0 style tubes that got to a collector and put a 4bbl carb on the other side of the engine. But to be truthful, a freakin' BOX welded to surround a half sawed off log intake and bolt a 4 barrel carb on the top would probably make a "hell of a drug" type I6... That block is rather strong, I hear, if it could only *breathe*.

Dang, the memories that brings up... now I really want to do that intake... Even if it wasn't efficient, it's gotta be better than that log, and would look oh-so-cool... ah the old days of creating on a car... so much I've learned and now ain't skeerd of....

/That exhaust ought to be nice sounding, though.
//Muskrat (1966 Sprint 6, highly cosmetically modified) had duals, properly 'y'd out from near the transmission with two Thrush CVX mufflers (mainly bought them because they'd never rust)... she sounded fantastic for an otherwise stock I6!
///And did the 1/4 mile in a whoppin' 19.5 seconds at 88 MPH. Wicked fast.
////I miss, Miss, MISS that car...
/////Gotta get that magazine article back on the web somewhere one day...

Last edited by houtex; 7/15/11 at 06:46 PM.
Old 7/15/11, 07:21 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

I would have recommended the T5 5 speed conversion if it had been a manual. As for the DUI swap, I went with the DSII swap and I paid a good bit less than what Classic Inlines wanted.
Old 7/16/11, 06:38 AM

Thank you both. BA...I've been trying to determine which dizzy and how much I'm willing to spend (gotta love the Internet).

Surely that upgrade, even with non SPC 1 barrel and the dizzy upgrade could improve reliability if nothing else, no?

Anyone install the weber carb I mentioned? If it acts like a 1 barrel most of the time and only at 2/3 throttle does it kick to 2 it can't be that bad...granted it would probably only help at speed...flooring it a a dead stop (not that I ever plan to) would probably choke it.
Old 7/16/11, 08:40 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

I had the weber on my I6, but tuned it myself. I made it to where you could floor it at a stop and it never choked. It was a fairly good carb, but I got some crappy gas mileage. I think I was seeing 15 mpg, but would see 25 on the highway. Another carb that will work is a Holley 250cfm 2bbl, just need to but a different adapter for it.
Old 7/16/11, 02:15 PM

How was it getting the weber on? Got any pictures?

Speaking of pictures...it seems my 1100 may be missing the spark control valve? (hopefully the picture attached)
Attached Images  
Old 7/16/11, 06:30 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

I messed up 2-3 1bbl carbs before going to the 2bbl.

Old 7/16/11, 06:41 PM

Looks nice. What spacer/adapter is that? Was it a major project to install. Seems relatively straight forward. Some minor rerunning and maybe a bit of struggle with the throttle linkage.

I'm really leaning toward the weber.
Old 7/16/11, 07:53 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

That is a adapter from a place called Langdons Stovebolt. I bought my weber from them too, and tuned it myself instead of buying from Clifford or CI. I would recommend the adapter from Clifford Performance, it is worth the extra money. I had to modify the adapter I have to make it work and it sat so tall I couldn't put an air cleaner on it. I also had to modify the accelerator linkage, but my grandfather said it worked with his 66 with no mods.

Last edited by BA Mustang; 7/16/11 at 07:57 PM.
Old 7/18/11, 11:14 AM

Thank you very much. I appreciate your input.
Old 7/30/11, 09:46 PM

Ok...got it. Bought some aluminum stock and made a sort of equilateral triangle extending one of the sides back. Drilled it out and ran a cable to the throttle. Works like a charm and I get WOT with pedal to spare. Not to mention that if I ever need to, I can swap the original parts back on without a hitch. Have a look see.

Ran the gas and a vacuum line to the old dizzy while I await the DUI and it runs like a dream. The old 1 barrel definitely needs an overhaul; the idle is soooo much smoother. Haven't been down the road yet so I don't know if there is any noticeable power difference.
Attached Images