1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Experience with Rainbow industries paints from Mustangs Unlimited

Search this Thread

Old 1/30/12, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Experience with Rainbow industries paints from Mustangs Unlimited

Just got my 67 back from the paint shop & putting it back together. Thought I would refresh my doors & dash, bought rattle can paint from Mustangs Unlimited, actually Rainbow Industries light blue enamel. Do not buy this crap, color isn't close to the original & it spays like water. As soon as it hits the surface it runs all over the place. Learn from my mistake & go to your local paint store & mix it up or hire a professional. Sorry for the gripe.
Old 1/30/12, 11:06 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Its not just from Mustangs Unlimited, CJ Pony also sells it. I bought one brand but I can't remember which. I still have some here, I'll have to check and see what it is.
Old 2/2/12, 09:48 PM

I learned that the Dupli-Color Classic Colors GM light blue is definitely not Ford light blue. I repaired and painted a steering wheel so it kinda stands out. Way too blue and not the silverish-blue for Ford. I've got some VP-5748 SEM light blue on order from National Parts Depot. I used medium blue SEM on my console and it did great. It did so well that I am willing to use light blue SEM on all light blue surfaces if it is at least closer than the Dupli-color.
I called NPD and the rep claimed it is correct for my '65 despite being listed as 66-68. It's worth looking into.
Old 2/3/12, 10:04 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to Finish Masters (local paint store). They carry SEM rattle can as well. It's def worth a try.
Old 2/7/12, 03:13 PM

My option to NPD was O'Reillys but it would have been based on a color sample of the existing paint and not necessarily the correct paint. The interior was touched up in '92 but needs additional attention because it's a driver.
Got my cans from NPD today and did a sample shot. It is dead-on to the existing color so I know exactly what to expect from SEM.
The NPD ad says it's OK on metal but the SEM website and actual can didn't so I asked NPD about it. They say to clean it well and use very light coats and all will be well. The laquer is more for metal but I read somewhere it's not a good idea to spray over enamal so I chose what I have.
I've this project prepared to proceed and in the lineup.