1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Exhaust manifold vs. headers

Search this Thread

Old 12/5/05, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got a 69 fastback with a cleveland. I have recently come to find that i need new headers because the old ones have warped and no longer seal up tight. The headers I currently have on are squeezed in there super tight. I dont want to have to bend any new headers just to get them in so I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a significant difference between headers and performance exhaust manifolds. Also i have been looking to maybe go with shorty headers or block huggers to get better clearence but i have not been able to find any for a 351 C. If anyone has any info or a website where i can locate these headers or performance manifolds please post, i'll greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
Old 12/5/05, 12:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by ovidoman@December 5, 2005, 1:12 PM
I got a 69 fastback with a cleveland. I have recently come to find that i need new headers because the old ones have warped and no longer seal up tight. The headers I currently have on are squeezed in there super tight. I dont want to have to bend any new headers just to get them in so I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a significant difference between headers and performance exhaust manifolds. Also i have been looking to maybe go with shorty headers or block huggers to get better clearence but i have not been able to find any for a 351 C. If anyone has any info or a website where i can locate these headers or performance manifolds please post, i'll greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
Well, to answer your question directly, the main reason for changing over to anything from a standard exhaust manifold is to increase the flow of exhaust and free up some HP. It should be co-ordinated in balance with your carb and intake selection Yo9u never want more going in then out or vice-versa. So that said, the level of performance difference is as follows from worst to best: Standard Manifold, performance manifold, shortie header, long tube header.

Now given your situation, just because your headers are slightly warped and do not seal well with a traditonal fel pro type gasket does not mean they need replacing. For about double of what a normal gasket goes for you can put these on your car:

http://www.percyshp.com/seal-4-good_header_gaskets.html

The name says it all, I had a two year old leak that I simply could not seal before I got these, I was blowing out traditional gaskets left and right before them. Over three years now with out the slightest leak and I have taken them off to refinish once already but it still resealed great. I put them on the collectors too even though they were not a problem just because they were so good.

Besides, even new headers do not stay new looking for long, I'd think about giving yoru current ones a second try with a lot less hassle since they already fit.
Old 12/6/05, 01:41 PM

thanks i'll definitely consider these gaskets
Old 12/11/05, 04:13 AM
Bullitt Member

i have those as well and love them. no leaks yet
Old 5/10/07, 04:29 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
bump....

I'm looking into re-doing my exhaust sytsem and am looking into headers. Can someone shed some light on the Longtube vs. Shortie vs. Tri-y question for me? Also....H pipe vs. X pipe? I want to get the most hp. and tq. Also...what about tube size? I really dont want to go 3 in....I don't want it to sound like a pickup truck. Thanks!
Old 5/10/07, 06:04 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I've always heard that shorties are pretty useless by comparison to Tri-Ys and Long Tubes. I know long tubes are pretty great regardless of the car, though I've heard lots of great things about Tri-Ys as well, plus I think they're cheaper.
Old 5/10/07, 07:08 PM

ok...Pretty much what I thought. What about the x-pipe or h-pipe? I would assume the x would be capable of more performing becuase of the design...but thats just my assumption.
Old 5/10/07, 09:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Most power would be long tubes and X-pipe.
Old 5/11/07, 08:16 PM

sweet...I'm there....Thanks guys. That is what I though...I just needed some re-assurance..

I'm ready to bump up that rwhp....

Old 5/11/07, 11:20 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts