1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 6/8/14, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes

Was wondering if anyone knew how to remove the brake pedal/master cylinder of a 1968 mustang. And also what do I need to do to prepare the car for sandblasting?
Attached Thumbnails Brakes-image-4031459506.jpg   Brakes-image-219596854.jpg  
Old 6/8/14, 05:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Looks like you already have the master cylinder off the firewall, so just disconnect it from the brake lines and it's gone.

The brake pedal assembly can be taken out with the four bolts you see there on that brace, and then the bolts on the dash side, and the entire thing comes out. You may have to unclip the rod between the master cylinder and the brake pedal, not really sure... been a while.

For sandblasting, you only need to be concerned with denuding the pieces you wish to sandblast.... and if you want to get the dang sand out, it gets everywhere. So either you need to be *really amazing* at taping off stuff you don't want sand in, or just finish the job and keep on taking stuff off, until you get down to the unibody (no hood, trunk lid, fenders or doors. Those you'd shoot separately off the car.)

If you are going to redo all the suspension and drivetrain, then you can leave that on the car and roll it around, but the best way is to take all that out too, and put the body on a rotisserie. Be easier to get all the nooks and crannies for the sandblasting, and then also priming it for paint. You can really get the underside well covered with primer, paint, and or soundproofing if desired.

Fun project. I remember mine fondly, and wish I had her still. Lil' jealous, I am.

Edit: Here's an example of what I'm talking about, out of the car. It's for a standard, not an auto, so it's got the clutch pedal, but you see the entire assembly, brace and pedals and all, will come out as one piece.

http://tommyward.org/Auto/images/68pedals2.jpg

And comparing the two different ones side by side:

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o.../Cougar116.jpg

Here's a video about the master cylinder swap in a '66, and regarding the rod, somewhere about the 7:30 mark:

And here's a video I found maybe puttin' it back in, but on a 66. Should be similar. The important part is about 13:30, but maybe watch it anyway.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by houtex; 6/8/14 at 05:17 PM.
Old 6/8/14, 07:09 PM
V6 Member

If you are sandblasting the entire car, I'd definitely tape the holes in rocker panels and in the frame rails. I still have a little sand fall out every time I flip it over on the rotisserie. Other places are pretty easy to blow/vacuum out.

Helpful tip: rent a big air compressor!!!. I used a small 30 gallon one for awhile before I rented a huge diesel powered one. Man it is night and day difference.
Old 6/10/14, 03:43 PM

Thank you very much. The only thing stopping me from disconnecting the rod between the pedal and master cylinder is a rusty cotter pin. I'm not 100% sure on how to take the pin out but I sprayed WD-40 on it. Thank you for the tips on sandblasting.
Old 6/10/14, 06:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Cut the pin. You can get more.

I'm sure you already thought of that...