1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

73' mach 1

Search this Thread

Old 5/30/04, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, i'm hoping to fix up a 73' mach 1 mustang, the car broke down around 15 years ago and my mother just left it sitting at my grandparents house (without a cover or anything). The car has a lot of rust and is in horrible condition. Does anyone know how around how much it would cost to get fixed up?
Old 5/30/04, 12:40 PM
V6 Member

I don't think there is anything that can't be fixed. The question is if it is worth it. Without seeing pictures it's hard to say. A big factor is if you're going to do the work yourself or pay someone to do it. Having a professional do it can easily double or triple the costs. Fenders and quarterpanels shouldn't be too expensive. Front fenders (and doors, hood, trunklid) you can bolt on yourself. Once you start to get into floor pans and frame rails then you really need to have somebody who knows what they are doing do the work.

Like I said you have to decide if it's worth it. Any Mach 1 is a collectors item but some more than others. What motor does it have? The '72 and '73 are probably the least collectable because they were so much larger and burdened by smog equipment/detuning.

The best thing to do would be first to do a search of comparable Mach 1s at places like Hemmings http://www.hmn.com/ or Collector Car Trader http://www.collectorcartraderonline.com/. Be forewarned that some of the prices listed there are unrealistically high especially on the latter. I generally take the average price of similar cars there and reduce it by 25-50% to get a close value.

After you get an idea of what it might be worth, make a list of parts that need to be replaced. Add that up and double it if you're going to do the work yourself. That's to take into account things that you will find later that you need or want to replace that aren't obvious. If someone else is doing the work then I would at least triple the cost.

Depending on the shape of the car it may not be worth it. It may be cheaper to save your money up and buy one that is still in good shape or at least doesn't need as much work as yours. No one says you have to buy a perfect car. Fixer uppers are great.
Old 6/1/04, 02:55 PM

Thanks you for the help, i'll look into it and let you know if i decide to start this project. Thanks again.
Old 6/1/04, 03:48 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with spooty...

you can probably replace the quaters, rocker panels, and floorpans yourself if you know how to MIG weld and have some sort of skill.

If the frame rails are rotted, you are looking at big bucks to get them done. Try and snap some digital pictures of the undercarriage.

Was this car in a barn? or sitting on a lawn somewhere. If it was parked on a field the whole bottom of the car is probably rotted because of moisture. If it was parked on a paved driveway you might be able to salvage it.