1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

70 Fastback transmission and rear end

Search this Thread

Old 5/19/24, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
70 Fastback transmission and rear end

Hello All - need some recommendations…. I’ve got a 70 fastback 351 Windsor w/C4 and 8” rear with drum brakes. I’m doing a 408 stroker upgrade that will have about 500 tq and 525 hp. I’ve got a ride tech Street Grip suspension upgrade installed and am very worried about the C4 and the 8” rear end.

Any thoughts on what options available. C6? Stock 9” rear end or a “built” rear end? Upgrades for C4? Manual 4 or 5 speed? Etc., etc…. I’m not an expert by any means. Don’t want to break the bank….. Help!!!!!

thanks -
Old 5/19/24, 11:28 AM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,861 Likes on 2,112 Posts
@70stang

The Easy Although Not So Easy To Find These Days Would Be a Small Case C-6 and 9 Inch Out of a 69-70 Car and It Would Be Minimal Fab Work. Choices are Endless But Can Be Narrowed Down If You Tell Us What Your End Use Will Be! Just Cruisin Around, Touring, Track Use or Dragstrip Etc. Tire Size You Wish To Run. Really The More Info The Better!

A Few of The Old Timers Here Has Owned & Still Own The Older Cars Although Our Usual Traffic is Asking About 05 Ups! I Do Still Own Vintage Fords The Closest to a Older Mustang is My 73 Xr-7 Cougar! 351C Auto, Air. Cammed, Intake & Holley 4 Barrel Upgrade From 2 Barrel

Speak of The Devil Here is One of My Forays into The Past!

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...ck-day-550857/

Love To See Pics of the Project as Well!

It Will Take My Noodle a Little Time To Go Back in The Day & Remember The Old Knowledge on the Older Cars! But it Will Come Back! For Me Back in Those Days It Was a Lot More About What You Could Find in a Pre Internet World! Lots of Book Reading, Parts Cars & Trial & Error!

Welcome,

Kc
Old 5/19/24, 03:26 PM

70 rear end

Thanks Kc. End use will be cruising and occasionally shredding the tires. I’ve been in love with the 69-70 body style since I was a youngster, but I’m far from an expert. Born in 64…..I retired and now am building the car I’ve always wanted…..here’s some pics before upgrades… It is at shop now getting my new engine, suspension, instrument panel, and a few other goodies…. Power windows and locks, etc.

I’ve got cragar mags with BF Goodrich radial T/A tires , 225. Almost no clearance on rear fender wells with the street grip suspension so assuming I’ll need to swap the wheels and maybe tires no matter what I do. What about new aftermarket stuff? Currie, Tremec, etc., without getting crazy expensive? Gear ratio? Disc brakes? Blah, blah….. other aftermarket kits that will work?

really appreciate the input. Mike

Old 5/19/24, 03:46 PM

A Lot To Consider. There are Those of The Mindset I Want an Old Car That Drives Just Like a New One. Basically a Shell on A Modern Chassis. Or Myself in The Case of An Old Car Like This I Would Want it How I Dreamed it as a Teen But Could Not Afford. Funky Old But New Oem Type Suspension Etc. I Can Still Remember What it Felt Like To get in That California Special in 1981 and All it's Sounds Squeeks and Poor Handling To Boot. The Feel of The Stock Seats and Exactly Where My Right Hand Was On the Ignition Switch & Shifter. So For Me a Transmission That Felt Like My 07 Shelby and Everything Else is Part of a Different Experience. I Guess You Would Call My Dream Car if I Had Your 70 Would a Day Two Type Car.

Now Some of My Old Mopars I Had With 4 Speeds My Knee's Would Not Handle The Clutch's They Had Back Then! **** Near Had To Stand on The Pedal Then.

Now Also to Consider is How The Body {Your Body} Will Handle What You Build. I Would Not Want As Loud as I Liked Back in the Day But Not Whisper Quiet Either. Since You Are Kinda Jumping Into This at The Other End as It Were I Would Go To A Car Show and Talk To Folks With Similar Cars & Close To Your Age To get Some Real World Input. A Ride in One Similar To What You are Considering Would Be a Real Eye Opener.

Just a Bit To Get You Thinking!

Fixed Your Pics too!

Absolutely Beautiful Car & I Would Not Stray Too far From The Look as it is Timeless. As Far as Wheels The Cragars are a Great Choice For Me But My All Time Favorite Are The Black Backed Magnum 500's and In No Larger Than 15" But That is Me I Like The Look Of The Old White Letter Factory Look Tires!

Everybody Will Have a Different Take But give Me a SLEEPER Look Vintage Muscle With a PUSHROD V8! The Sound is What I Equate With That Era!

With All The Muscle You Will Be Packing I Don't Think You Will Need To Steep a Gear which Can Be A Pain If You Go With Old School Non Overdrive Transmission. That Will Be a Big Factor. If You are Going Automatic Then an Overdrive Conversion Might Be a Way To Go.

Yes I Think a Trip To a Good Muscle Car Car Show Would Be a Really Good Thing To Do! So Many Options But it Boils Down To What Will Be Enjoyable For You! I Vote For Fast But Reliable as a High Maintenance Car Can Zap The Fun Right Out of a Project.

Great You are Starting With a Solid Car as Many Start With a Basket Case and Never Finish!

Great Start Indeed!

Kc
Old 5/20/24, 04:57 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,678 Posts
Originally Posted by 70stang
Thanks Kc. End use will be cruising and occasionally shredding the tires. I’ve been in love with the 69-70 body style since I was a youngster, but I’m far from an expert. Born in 64…..I retired and now am building the car I’ve always wanted…..here’s some pics before upgrades… It is at shop now getting my new engine, suspension, instrument panel, and a few other goodies…. Power windows and locks, etc.

I’ve got cragar mags with BF Goodrich radial T/A tires , 225. Almost no clearance on rear fender wells with the street grip suspension so assuming I’ll need to swap the wheels and maybe tires no matter what I do. What about new aftermarket stuff? Currie, Tremec, etc., without getting crazy expensive? Gear ratio? Disc brakes? Blah, blah….. other aftermarket kits that will work?

really appreciate the input. Mike

Wow beautiful, looking forward to seeing and reading more about your journey!
Old 5/21/24, 04:05 PM

70 rear end and transmission

Thanks again Kc. Definitely a lot to consider! While I definitely love the 69-70 styling, I’m also a proponent of technology….. I had a 69 coupe 40 years ago but kids and wife (and lack of money) got in the way before I could do much more than get it running and paint it…. I bought this one about ten years ago and have been slowly restoring it. Everything except the engine basically. It was in storage for three years after I retired so now that I’ve got the time and means, I’m doing the engine and suspension and a few other things. It started as a 302 blue fastback with standard interior.

if I had one as a teen, I would have put all sorts of mods on it to make it a hot rod. Technology has changed so much since they came out of the factory and I have no problem using it where it makes sense to me and as long as it’s made for a vintage mustang. My only blunder so far was not even thinking about the rear end. I knew my C4 (freshly rebuilt with heavy duty TQ converter) would be ok for a while if I take it easy on the pedal but with 500/525 TQ/HP, the old 8” rear won’t last a week… I’ll end up breaking an axle or driveshaft etc. so I need to do something. My dilemma is what to do and should I go ahead and change the C4 as well.

liked your idea of going to a car show and getting better educated on options. There are so many ways I could do this from stock parts to high performance custom stuff with prices to match! I’m leaning towards a stock 9”, 31 spline axles with disc brakes but with the Ridetech suspension mods, I believe i’ll have to change wheels and or tires for clearance since it lowered the body about two inches and I think the 9” rear and disc brake mod add two inches side to side so current wheels and tire combo will hit the fenders. Definitely need to do more research.

Thanks Mike
Old 5/21/24, 06:57 PM

Back in the Day a Lincoln Versailles Had The 9 Inch With Disc Brakes! Surely Those are Long Picked Clean. I Do See Folks on The Tv Builder Shows Using 8.8 Out of Explorers I Think. Would Have To Dig a Bit. If You Could Get One With Trac-Loc & The Gear Ratio You Wanted That Would Be a More Cost Effective Swap.

Hope These Vids Help You Get a Plan!

With a Non Overdrive Trans I Think 3.55 is as Low Ratio as I Would Go! Unless You End Up With Tubs and a Super Tall Tire!

Back in the Day My Big Block Mopars Really Liked The 3.23 and 3.55 Ratio's. Usually They Had a 2.76 Which Was a Top End Only Gear!

How To Pull an 8.8 at The Junk Yard!

Here is An Explorer 8.8 Going into a 68!

Here is One Using a 2002 Gt Rear Axle!

KC
Old 5/21/24, 07:17 PM

I thought You Might Enjoy Seeing The S-197 Version of Your Car!

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...stored-537935/

KC

Old 5/21/24, 09:13 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by 05stangkc
Back in the Day a Lincoln Versailles Had The 9 Inch With Disc Brakes! Surely Those are Long Picked Clean. I Do See Folks on The Tv Builder Shows Using 8.8 Out of Explorers I Think. Would Have To Dig a Bit. If You Could Get One With Trac-Loc & The Gear Ratio You Wanted That Would Be a More Cost Effective Swap.

Hope These Vids Help You Get a Plan!

With a Non Overdrive Trans I Think 3.55 is as Low Ratio as I Would Go! Unless You End Up With Tubs and a Super Tall Tire!

KC
The explorer 8.8s are long gone. I've been looking for one, and they're gone. A friend that has a garage said they can't get one, said people are putting them in Jeep Cherokee off road builds.
Old 5/22/24, 06:15 AM

Here are Some Options For Those Hunting a Certainly RARE These Days, But Still Here & There 8.8 on an Explorer. And Other Used Parts You Are Searching For! Call For Unlisted Items!

https://www.lkqonline.com/

I Found a Couple Here They Are Regular Wrecking Yards and Will Ship!. The Axle Assemblies Were $380.00 + Shipping.

Now Here is the Kicker. Since Most People Won't Want to go to a Wrecking Yard & Pull One The Pick Your Part Yards Have a Better Supply. Using a 1996-2001 Explorer with a 3.73 as a Source vehicle I Found Some in Indiana Where the Op is From. Hope This is Helpful to Those on the Hunt! They are Not Everywhere so Those in Certain States May Have To Travel a Bit So This is Not For Everybody But a Shot! Also Not Every Pick a Part Type Yard is on the Network So You May Have a Local Yard With An Axle Not Listed on the LKQ Network. Looks Like Under $300.00 If Your Game For The Pull & The Chase!

https://www.lkqpickyourpart.com/part...model=EXPLORER

KC

There are Some Other Ratio's To Chose From as Well! I Would Advise The 3.27 For The Op.