1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

65 FOLDDOWN REAR SEAT REMOVAL

Search this Thread

Old 2/6/05, 11:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just painted my new interior quarter panels and need to remove my raer seat but wanted to ask the pros first is there a trick? Is it straight forward? Any tips...Anyhting to watch out for..
Old 2/6/05, 12:26 PM
Cobra R Member

It's really not too bad.

• Start with the rear-most panel that is by the trap door to the trunk.
• Remove the screws that hold the chrome "resting" pieces that hold the bumpers when the seat is in the upright position.
• Remove the two screws that are more forward of those chrome pieces that are in the same panel.
• From there, you should be able to lift the forward part, and slide it out. There are metal clips that go under a mounting point in the back under those chrome "resting" pieces. You'll see what I mean when you get it out.
• Once the rear panel is out, you'll have access to the hinge that holds the flip-seat panels. Once those bolts are out, you can remove the rest of the assembly.
• As I'm sure you are aware, the folding rear seat is one heavy **** (I think I remember someone weighing the assembly at 70lbs!), so be careful around those delicate fiberglass interior panels. One slip could easily result in a bad crack. Might be best to have a buddy help with the removal.

Reinstallation is more challenging than removal, but still not that bad. The main concerns are getting the flip seat panels aligned so that it flips into and out of position correctly, and ligning up the metal clips of the rear panel. Like I said, not that bad, but it can make for a frustrating 1/2 hour.
Old 2/6/05, 06:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks blake you should add this to the facts section
Old 2/7/05, 10:30 AM
GT Member

"Anything to watch out for?"

I see Blake already mentioned it, but how 'bout your back! Those folding seat pieces are a lot heavier than they look! And mark my word: you're likely to put a nice scratch in that new paint upon reassembly. You may want to wrap the sharp corners in an old towl or something (until the pieces are nearly in place).

Good luck - And be sure to post some pics when you're finished!