1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

4spd Backup Light Switch

Search this Thread

Old 7/20/04, 01:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 66 fastback was restored about 12 years ago - I bought it 4 years ago. It was originally an auto, but was converted to a Toploader 4-spd during the resto. Since it was redone in Michigan (which doesn't require safety inspections) the original parking brake system was ripped out and never reinstalled - only the handle was left inside for looks. I've finally collected all the parts so I got help from some of the local car club members to get it all hooked up. During the process, we ran into some snags...

The biggest snag was the backup light switch. During the conversion they didn't install the correct backup switch/bracket, but jury-rigged a bracket to make the switch they had work. This interfered with the parking brake cable routing, so we took the switch off. Now I have a working parking brake, but can't reinstall the existing switch. In order to pass inspection I had to temporarily install a toggle switch under the dash for the backup lights! :notnice:

I can buy a new 4-spd backup switch and bracket for $50 from all the parts shops, but here's my dilemna - according to the guys helping me, the Reverse shift pattern should be Left-Down (just like on the shift ****). But my car is Left-Up. :scratch:

Is my shifter linkage installed incorrectly? (edit:The car drives/shifts fine)
Are some Toploaders different than others?
Will I be wasting $50 if I buy the switch and it doesn't work?
Old 7/20/04, 01:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

According to this webpage (bottom of page):

Early Galaxies and Fairlanes used a shifter with reverse pattern of up and over, while all early Mustangs (regardless of T10,Dagenham or Toploader),Cougars etc. used a shift pattern of reverse and down.

You might chat with Mark at Toploader Heaven about your setup (email or phone). SUPER NICE & really sharp guy on toploaders. I'm SURE he can get you lined up! Tell him "GT350Clone" sent you...
Old 7/20/04, 01:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks cloney! I'll give them a call.
Old 7/21/04, 12:35 PM
Bullitt Member

I contacted Kevin at Kevinstang.com and Mark at Toploader Heaven and sent some pics. Apparently I have a Fairlane Toploader with a Hurst shifter and backup switch. Installing it in a Mustang meant the parking brake couldn't be put back in.

Now I just have to figure out what to do about a switch...

(Edit: It IS a Mustang Toploader, with a Hurst linkage. The Hurst is the reason it shifts LEFT-UP). I need to get a backup switch for the Hurst, which should fit without any clearance issues. I feel SOOOO much better now... )

Thanks again clone-man!