1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

1965 Mustang Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 9/3/06, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1965 Mustang Coupe

Hello all, my name is Derek Hartman and I reside in Suffolk, Virginia. My wife and I recently purchased a 1965 Mustang Coupe with a 289 2V. The car came with fog lights in the grille, but with regular under the bumper rear exhaust. There are no stripes on the car, she is all black exterior and interior with the old falcon dash display. Could anyone tell me how to tell if this car is a "real" GT or if a previous owner decided to dress her up a little with some fog lights? Over all, she is in good condition with some surface rust that can be sanded out when body work restoration takes place. The bucket seats have rips in them, but only at the seams, trying to decide to go with an upolstry shop or just order new bucket seats. The back seat is in outstanding shape. The carpet needs to be replaced also, other than that, a tune up on the motor and some new fluids in her and she will be ready to roll. If anyone can answer me question about if she is an original GT Coupe, I would greatly appreciate. Thank you for your time and looking forward to any replies.

Very Respectfully,

Derek A. Hartman
Suffolk, Virginia
Old 9/3/06, 06:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can decode your VIN here for more info. http://www.mustangdecoder.com/decoder.html

According to the 2002-2003 edition of "The Official Mustang Price Guide" the base engine for a 1965 GT would be the 289-4v (A code) so that would invalidate yours as being a GT. The optional GT engine is a 289-4v (K code).

A GT consists of the following items: GT stripes, GT ornamentation, bright hood lip molding, 5-dial instrument cluster, dual exhausts with chromed trumpets through the rear valance.