Testing, Help, Site Feedback and Suggestions Test vBulletin's Features and Tell Us What You Like and Don't Like and Offer Suggestions for Improvement

The word filter and a certain acceptable name.

Search this Thread

Old 5/16/13, 09:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
The word filter and a certain acceptable name.

https://themustangsource.com/f649/rip-k-trickle-521744/

Now, I ask you. Is it worth mangling his name, a good racing driver's name, for a filter?

No. It is not.

We are a pretty well run group around here. As such, I feel it is well within the hive mind's capability to self police this place, and the time for censoring the NAME "D!ck", the perfectly cromulent short form of Richard, has come.

**** Tracy
Tricky **** Nixon
**** Smothers
**** Trickle
**** Jones (A VP of OCP... yes, a movie, but still.)
**** Martin
**** Van Dyke
**** Clark
**** Van Patten
**** Sargeant
**** York
**** Enberg
**** Cavett

We use the words "bananas" and "nuts" to mean "crazy", and "bork" to mean screwed over/up (when it's Robert Bork's failed confirmation hearing that gave rise to this "new" word). There is no reason to censor a name because some people use it in a way that is derogatory when another method can and should be applied.

And besides. "D1ck" is worse than "****"? Really? I mean, *really*?! Why not take out "Jimmy" or "Johnson"? Those are the same, if you really want to be all filtery about things.

However, I get it. Obviously we're not meant to be seeing the word except as a name, but the system can't identify it's use. Which is why I think it needs to just forget this problem in the first place, because it's just patently silly.

I would make it a very very blatant thing, almost annoying for a month, to get the word out, that if anyone is using the word "****" (spelled correctly there for the filter) for *ANY* reason other than a specific person's name (such as those above, which aren't going to show now) gets *banned* for 2 days. Straight up. And told why and where they borked themselves, and don't do it *ever* again, or permaban is handed down. Or perhaps a week. I dunno, something like that. If it's that big a deal and the others arent, then that's the way you do it.

This is a mod's job, of course. I will *personally* see to it if I see someone doing it, they'll be alterted. I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one.

Normally, I ain't no snitch. But this filter problem makes me just irritated enough to be one on this particular thing.

I would say "whatever y'all decide", but really, I don't think it's true for me. I really would like this to be a thing of the past.

Sorry for the rant. It's just that childish a thing to see in this forum that allows the word "****" but the name D1ck to be censored, especially considering the thread linked here.

IMO. Carry on, Mods, y'all will do what y'all will do, I've had my say.

/taking bets on when I get banned now...

Last edited by houtex; 5/16/13 at 09:51 PM.
Old 5/16/13, 11:04 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
don't be a ****
Old 5/17/13, 12:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very well said.
Old 5/17/13, 06:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
good morning
Old 5/17/13, 09:24 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Ill remove it from the filter list, but the first time its being used in a fashion other than someones name, its back on there and wont be removed again. Trust me, it wasnt put on there to filter out a name, it was put there for a reason.
Old 5/17/13, 09:38 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Which reason?? Gary or Lee
Old 5/17/13, 09:48 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Old 5/18/13, 12:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Originally Posted by Scothew
Ill remove it from the filter list, but the first time its being used in a fashion other than someones name, its back on there and wont be removed again. Trust me, it wasnt put on there to filter out a name, it was put there for a reason.
Yes, I understand. However, I would hope that quick trigger refilteration would not happen, but the post deleted in it's entirety and the offender told in no uncertain terms:

Type it again. And don't use that name in that manner again, or you're out. Permanently.

But it is not my site. I will adhere to the rules y'all set, as I know it is a benevolent dictatorship, and not a democracy, nor a federated republic.

Thanks for considering it, Scott, and to all mods. I just hope no newbies or anyone else screw it up.
Old 5/18/13, 02:36 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Ok I'm closing this.