Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Whiteline Watts Linkage

Search this Thread

Old 6/18/16, 12:16 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whiteline Watts Linkage

I'm considering getting the Whiteline Watts Link for my '14 GT. It's lowered with Roush and has Koni Orange. Any feedback out there? I'm looking for better cornering, confidence, and I don't want the car to be a potential crowd mower, hence the watts link. Its primarily for street and maybe some spirited driving on a track. Does it give a stiffer ride? NVH? Thanks all.
The following users liked this post:
rpoppertdomi (6/23/16)
Old 6/18/16, 05:40 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by 14BlackGT
I don't want the car to be a potential crowd mower
There is only one mod that can prevent this: driver mod. Watts will help a little, but it will not fix or cover up driver errors. Ultimately it's not the car that's a crowd mower, it's the person behind the wheel. A good driver will stay in control regardless of what suspension the car has.
The following 2 users liked this post by 5.M0NSTER:
14BlackGT (6/18/16), rpoppertdomi (6/23/16)
Old 6/18/16, 11:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
It's a waste of $$$ IMHO for the street. It is designed to keep the axle centered under high load cornering (track use). You would be OK to upgrade your PHB. put that money towards Springs or something else.
The following 2 users liked this post by redonblackpony:
14BlackGT (6/18/16), rpoppertdomi (6/23/16)
Old 6/18/16, 07:08 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by redonblackpony
It's a waste of $$$ IMHO for the street. It is designed to keep the axle centered under high load cornering (track use). You would be OK to upgrade your PHB. put that money towards Springs or something else.
---
^ + 1 ... this. Road course, x-cross, YES. Street, not sure it's worth it.
rpoppertdomi (6/23/16)
Old 6/18/16, 07:52 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
I will third that. I mean it will help on the street, but will really know that you put it there unless you really go after it. I would rather go with the Cortex Watts Link over the Whiteline if I was going to buy it anyway.
rpoppertdomi (6/23/16)
Old 6/18/16, 08:00 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks all for the feedback. I'll go for the PHB.
rpoppertdomi (6/23/16)
Old 6/18/16, 08:31 PM
Banned

I did springs, shocks and PHB and no more wheel hop. Surprised me a little, since I thought I'd need lower or upper control arms to achieve this. Hopefully you get similar results if it's something you're struggling with as well
rpoppertdomi (6/23/16)
Old 6/19/16, 06:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Is it worth though just for the street? Lets say it was tracked once a year, autocross a couple of times. I guess it relates to coilovers on the street, are they worth it?
rpoppertdomi (6/23/16)
Old 6/22/16, 04:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I fully believe that anyone on here who tells you not to get a watts link just doesn't have one. I have done all the goodies, Steeda sports with Koni yellows and steeda HD mounts, Steeda X Brace and g track brace, Steeda upper and lower control arms, and Steeda sway bars and links. Had the Steeda adj panhard bar and brace. Then I installed the Steeda watts link a few weeks ago. It's a night a day difference. On a smooth sooth straight road it is not going to feel night and day. Where the difference comes in is in the corners, especially when you hit a bump mid corner. Does not feel like the rear of the car is going to hop into the next lane. The rear end feels so much more planted and the car feels like it's better balanced with the watts link. But that's just my $.02.

post a picture

Last edited by imeyers302; 6/22/16 at 04:07 PM.
rpoppertdomi (6/23/16)
Old 6/22/16, 07:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by imeyers302
I fully believe that anyone on here who tells you not to get a watts link just doesn't have one. I have done all the goodies, Steeda sports with Koni yellows and steeda HD mounts, Steeda X Brace and g track brace, Steeda upper and lower control arms, and Steeda sway bars and links. Had the Steeda adj panhard bar and brace. Then I installed the Steeda watts link a few weeks ago. It's a night a day difference. On a smooth sooth straight road it is not going to feel night and day. Where the difference comes in is in the corners, especially when you hit a bump mid corner. Does not feel like the rear of the car is going to hop into the next lane. The rear end feels so much more planted and the car feels like it's better balanced with the watts link. But that's just my $.02.
When you say "night and day difference" I wonder what the frame of reference is. I would not consider driving a S550 on the street over bumpy corners a "night and day" difference over the S197. Sure, the S550 is a bit smoother and less bumpy, but not that big of a difference in my experience. Surely the Watts is less of a difference than the IRS of the new generation, no?

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 6/22/16 at 07:50 PM.
rpoppertdomi (6/23/16)
Old 6/22/16, 08:00 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by imeyers302

post a picture
We appreciate your support & feedback ... always great when members post their experience!

Thank you for sharing.

Best Regards,

TJ
rpoppertdomi (6/23/16)
Old 6/22/16, 08:48 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
When you say "night and day difference" I wonder what the frame of reference is. I would not consider driving a S550 on the street over bumpy corners a "night and day" difference over the S197. Sure, the S550 is a bit smoother and less bumpy, but not that big of a difference in my experience. Surely the Watts is less of a difference than the IRS of the new generation, no?
I will say having driven a Watts equipped car against my stock Laguna Seca that the difference was pretty noticeable on areas that would begin to get the car unsettled in my Laguna Seca. Would you really notice it on the street? Sure I think you would, but would you get a better ride with a panhard bar than stock and not spend $800+? Yes. At the end of the day it depends on what you want to spend if you really just want a Watts link. I will be going full retard on my car just because so I am in the Watts Link camp since I do plan on tracking the car.

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
We appreciate your support & feedback ... always great when members post their experience!

Thank you for sharing.

Best Regards,

TJ
Don't they ever let you go home or do they keep you in a dungeon somewhere?
rpoppertdomi (6/23/16)
Old 6/23/16, 05:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
What I mean by night and day difference is that the rear end of the car finally feels connected to the rest of the car. Best way I can describe it. Have not driven an s550 to compare but if you are into the way a car "feels" when you drive it, the watts link is worth every penny. I had already done the control arms, etc., before the watts link. They made a nice difference with making the rear of the car feel more solid but did nothing for that disconnected feel. The watts link eliminated that disconnected feel. That to me alone was worth the price of the watts.
rpoppertdomi (6/23/16)
Old 6/23/16, 07:49 AM
Banned

Thanks for the feedback guys. Perhaps I have a case of ignorance is bliss. Or maybe my expectations for how the rear should feel is low, haha.
Old 6/23/16, 10:56 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Don't they ever let you go home or do they keep you in a dungeon somewhere?
Just came up for some sun ... whats going on, lol!

Need to make the sure the consumers are taken care of ... all part of the Steeda Experience

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 6/25/16, 02:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
When the watts link is fitted, does it just mount in place or does it need to be adjusted in a certain way?
Old 6/25/16, 08:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by trackpack13gt
When the watts link is fitted, does it just mount in place or does it need to be adjusted in a certain way?
There is some adjusting after its installed. Need to make sure rear end is centered, mounts are level, arms parallel, etc, and make adjustments accordingly but it is not difficult at all. It's well worth the little bit of extra setup effort over the panhard bar.