Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Lose 16 lb with Lightweight Rotors for Brembo-equipped Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 4/2/16, 01:58 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lose 16 lb with Lightweight Rotors for Brembo-equipped Mustang

Hi Guys

I'm a long time lurker, but just signed up to become a vendor on the forum. I wanted to make a short post to announce my first product:

Lightweight Front Rotors for the 14" Brembo-equipped S197 mustangs.

This includes:
2010-2014 Mustang GT with Track Package or Brembo Package option
2012-2013 Boss 302
2007-2012 Shelby GT500

These are a direct replacement for the OEM rotors, and the pair reduces weight by 16 lb. The rotor is unsprung AND rotating mass, so the effect of the reduced weight is really noticeable in acceleration, ride, and handling.

These have been in development and testing for the past 2 years, and our first batch is now ready for shipment. These are true Made in the USA parts, with all of the casting, machining, and assembly done in the United States. This is hopefully the first product of many we will be developing for the S197 Chassis.

Here are some photos of the product and you can see additional information and photos at our website: www.morrisengineering.com or on our facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/MorrisEngineeringUSA/

The introductory price is $499 for the pair of front rotors.

I can also offer an additional discount for any forum members willing to review the product and provide feedback, etc.

I'm new at much of this forum stuff, but I have been an automotive engineer for the past 20 years working in ride and handling, so I'm always interested to discuss and answer any questions you have about the product.

Thanks!
Matt Morris
www.morrisengineering.com
Attached Thumbnails Lose 16 lb with Lightweight Rotors for Brembo-equipped Mustang-s197rotors.png   Lose 16 lb with Lightweight Rotors for Brembo-equipped Mustang-chanel.png   Lose 16 lb with Lightweight Rotors for Brembo-equipped Mustang-etch.png   Lose 16 lb with Lightweight Rotors for Brembo-equipped Mustang-wback.png   Lose 16 lb with Lightweight Rotors for Brembo-equipped Mustang-front32prod.jpg  

Lose 16 lb with Lightweight Rotors for Brembo-equipped Mustang-frontmounted-.jpg  
Old 4/2/16, 03:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
You guys dont have by any chance 13-14 GT500 15" rotors in development?
The rotor selection in 15" aftermarket rotors for GT500 sucks and expensive, I love the take off 6 piston Brembos on my car, but the extra weight (32 pounds each) is kind of a bummer.
I would be all over this, if I had 4 piston brembos, great price.

Last edited by =HYPERDRIVE=; 4/2/16 at 03:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MorrisEngineering (4/3/16)
Old 4/2/16, 07:00 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Impressive product. I wish you luck and will consider them when it is time for a brake job.
The following users liked this post:
MorrisEngineering (4/3/16)
Old 4/3/16, 11:30 AM
Former Vendor

Thanks for the encouraging words guys! If you use Facebook and 'Like' us there, it is greatly appreciated.

Hyperdrive- We are actually working on a front rotor for the 15" GT500 6 piston setup. I'll keep you posted, but we should have it ready later this year if all goes to plan in testing.

Thanks
Matt
Old 4/3/16, 11:39 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Interested in having someone put them through some torture testing through track days? I kick my season off on April 16th at Limerock. Shoot me a PM. I instruct with a couple clubs in the area (I'm no pro, but I push the car pretty hard!). I've been running Ford OEM front rotors, but had Stoptech 2-piece rotors on my last car (with the ST40 kit) and I'd love to get back to 2-piece floating rotors for track days. My budget usually gets blown out of the water on tires, brake pads and fuel though, so I haven't bit the bullet on 2-piece rotors yet.

Anyways, let me know!
Old 4/3/16, 01:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
I start autocross season April 16th
I'm interested, I won the SCCA Sacramento chapter championship in 2014 F stock!
I'm interested in doing some reviews if the price is right!
PM if you are interested, my season starts in 2 weeks!
James
Old 4/3/16, 03:18 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by ElkGroveFordGuy
I start autocross season April 16th
I'm interested, I won the SCCA Sacramento chapter championship in 2014 F stock!
I'm interested in doing some reviews if the price is right!
PM if you are interested, my season starts in 2 weeks!
James
I think we both need sets - auto-x testing and road course testing... sounds like some excellent data points! Given the rate I swap rotors, I could probably offer up some thermal data immediately after sessions, as well as lap time comparisons now that I run pretty consistently and data log every lap I do!

New parts make me excited
Old 4/4/16, 07:50 PM
Former Vendor

Good interest level! I have responded to all known PMs, so if I missed you, let me know.

I wanted to clarify a couple points. These are a 2 piece design, but are fixed rather than floating. They can and have been used for light track use and HPDE...in fact Bryan Johnson used them all season last year en route to becoming the 2015 Optima Battery Ultimate Street Car Challenge Champion!
This product is targeted at the Street / Strip / Auto-X and Time Trial buyer, and a full floating option may be created in the future for sustained track activity at 100% of potential and racing applications.

They do require pad and fluids that can handle the temperatures and require proper ducting for cooling air.

James and Dmichaels, I will follow up with PM. I'd love to see you both running these this season!
Old 4/4/16, 10:38 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Very interesting, thanks for posting. I, too, track my 2011 GT 3-4 times per year (road course). I'm in Nevada, so temps get pretty hot on the track here. The OEM Brembo rotors hold up pretty well, but when they finally do need replacing, I might consider yours. How is the durability compared with OEM? Will they last as long...street/track? How is NVH compared with OEM? Will the OEM Ferodo pads work well in conjunction with your rotors? Have you had feedback on the 8lbs-per-side weight savings? And, sorry this last question might sound dumb, but what are the extra large holes for in the rotor hat?
Old 4/5/16, 05:32 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

I'd guess the larger holes are there for weight reduction.
Old 4/5/16, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by SpectreH
I'd guess the larger holes are there for weight reduction.
---
I thought the same. I wonder if that is true, then how is structural strength affected? I'm hoping he answers all of my questions, including this one.
Old 4/6/16, 10:15 AM
Former Vendor

Good questions. Durability is comparable to the OEM rotors. Of course with track pad compounds much of the rotor wear is from the pads operating cold in the abrasive phase. That is especially true for owners who use those compounds on the street in between track days. With OEM pad materials, the life will be the same as OEM. I should also mention that the rotor ring of our design is replaceable when the time comes for $149 per rotor. That includes new hardware and I will have those items added to the website soon. As for NVH, they also seem about like the OEM rotors, OEM pads are quiet, and the track compounds have a little squeal when cold.

The stock pads work well, and we have also tested with PFC 01, their 'Z' compound for street, and Hawk DTC60. All were fine.

I only have a little feedback from customers so far on the weight savings, but their experience matches my own. The weight reduction in this area seems very noticeable. First, as the S197 chassis is a little nose heavy, it is saving 16 lb from the right end of the vehicle. In addition, it is unsprung mass. As you guys are probably aware, the knuckle, brakes, wheel and tire amount to a large mass that resides between the road surface, and the body of the vehicle. When a bump or other irregularity accelerates this mass vertically, only the suspension can push it back to the pavement (faster than gravity). Thus, the heavier this mass, the slower the return to pavement, and the more mechanical grip lost. Those of you that own trucks with heavy duty live rear axles can probably relate to the delay in the axle returning to the road and achieving grip being so slow you can observe it. That happens on a much faster scale here, but still diminishes grip. Making the unsprung mass lighter, as with these rotors, makes the return to the road surface faster and than means more grip and better ride on any road surface that isn't perfectly smooth. Finally, the rotor is rotating mass, and has to be accelerated and decelerated every time the vehicle changes speed. The actual moment of inertia is what really matters and while the rotors are not as significant as wheels and tires due to the smaller diameter, they have much more inertia than something like an aluminum or carbon driveshaft. The effect of the reduced rotor mass is noticeable during short acceleration runs because of this effect.

The larger holes in the center section are indeed just removal of a small amount of weight from an area where it was not providing any structural value.

Keep those questions coming! The first set of prototypes were installed over 2 years ago, and much of the time since then has been focused on getting the manufacturing side set up and various administrative items. It's nice to finally get to talk about the product and its merits.

Originally Posted by PJRManagement
Very interesting, thanks for posting. I, too, track my 2011 GT 3-4 times per year (road course). I'm in Nevada, so temps get pretty hot on the track here. The OEM Brembo rotors hold up pretty well, but when they finally do need replacing, I might consider yours. How is the durability compared with OEM? Will they last as long...street/track? How is NVH compared with OEM? Will the OEM Ferodo pads work well in conjunction with your rotors? Have you had feedback on the 8lbs-per-side weight savings? And, sorry this last question might sound dumb, but what are the extra large holes for in the rotor hat?

Last edited by MorrisEngineering; 4/6/16 at 10:17 AM.
Old 4/6/16, 10:20 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Sounds like a good mod for me since I hung a supercharger out front, adding weight to the wrong end of the car.
Old 4/6/16, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by MorrisEngineering
Good questions. Durability is comparable to the OEM rotors. Of course with track pad compounds much of the rotor wear is from the pads operating cold in the abrasive phase. That is especially true for owners who use those compounds on the street in between track days. With OEM pad materials, the life will be the same as OEM. I should also mention that the rotor ring of our design is replaceable when the time comes for $149 per rotor. That includes new hardware and I will have those items added to the website soon. As for NVH, they also seem about like the OEM rotors, OEM pads are quiet, and the track compounds have a little squeal when cold.

The stock pads work well, and we have also tested with PFC 01, their 'Z' compound for street, and Hawk DTC60. All were fine.

I only have a little feedback from customers so far on the weight savings, but their experience matches my own. The weight reduction in this area seems very noticeable. First, as the S197 chassis is a little nose heavy, it is saving 16 lb from the right end of the vehicle. In addition, it is unsprung mass. As you guys are probably aware, the knuckle, brakes, wheel and tire amount to a large mass that resides between the road surface, and the body of the vehicle. When a bump or other irregularity accelerates this mass vertically, only the suspension can push it back to the pavement (faster than gravity). Thus, the heavier this mass, the slower the return to pavement, and the more mechanical grip lost. Those of you that own trucks with heavy duty live rear axles can probably relate to the delay in the axle returning to the road and achieving grip being so slow you can observe it. That happens on a much faster scale here, but still diminishes grip. Making the unsprung mass lighter, as with these rotors, makes the return to the road surface faster and than means more grip and better ride on any road surface that isn't perfectly smooth. Finally, the rotor is rotating mass, and has to be accelerated and decelerated every time the vehicle changes speed. The actual moment of inertia is what really matters and while the rotors are not as significant as wheels and tires due to the smaller diameter, they have much more inertia than something like an aluminum or carbon driveshaft. The effect of the reduced rotor mass is noticeable during short acceleration runs because of this effect.

The larger holes in the center section are indeed just removal of a small amount of weight from an area where it was not providing any structural value.

Keep those questions coming! The first set of prototypes were installed over 2 years ago, and much of the time since then has been focused on getting the manufacturing side set up and various administrative items. It's nice to finally get to talk about the product and its merits.
---
Thank you!
Old 4/6/16, 09:38 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
This looks sharp! I also do 3-4 road course events per year usually wearing Carbotech pads. I swap pads back and forth on the same rotors, and I'm interested in trying these and providing feedback as well. Shoot me a PM when you have a moment!
Old 6/26/16, 05:38 PM
Former Vendor

DMichaels is using these to good effect on this thread:

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...thread-541192/

...and more detail here...

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...rotors-541816/

We should have the Heavy Duty version up on our site soon. PM for details.

Also, please check out our recently announced Lightweight Battery Box for the 2010-2014 Mustang:

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...5/#post6987104

Matt

www.MorrisEngineering.com

Last edited by MorrisEngineering; 6/26/16 at 06:08 PM. Reason: added information
Old 7/1/16, 04:25 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Good product Matt! If anyone has questions feel free to PM me as well.