Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

What have you done to/with your Boss 302 this week?

Search this Thread

Old 8/19/14, 06:20 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phiggs54
Looks great. Nice color. What type of racing in that car?
Road course, still learning so no open wheel but getting there.
Old 8/24/14, 07:23 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,621 Posts
Dusted off my friends sons G8 today! He texted me your Stang sounds awesome!
Old 8/26/14, 07:47 AM
GT Member

Purchased a hypermotive performance tune and will be data logging soon. Supposedly the most efficient tune out for the 5.0 right now.

Will be taking the stang to a local test n tune for wot logging. Keep it safe and legal.
Old 9/3/14, 03:17 PM
V6 Member

Cruising in Austin

Took my sister for a ride out to the lake and around that area. She took the photos, not bad!
Attached Thumbnails What have you done to/with your Boss 302 this week?-photo-1.jpg   What have you done to/with your Boss 302 this week?-photo-5.jpg   What have you done to/with your Boss 302 this week?-photo-1-1-.jpg  
Old 9/3/14, 07:52 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Originally Posted by GGGforce
Took my sister for a ride out to the lake and around that area. She took the photos, not bad!
I took my daughter and her friend home from Youth Group tonight and she texted my daughter that my car is now on her top list of cars to have! :-)

Last edited by Mustang Freak; 9/3/14 at 07:53 PM.
Old 9/3/14, 08:29 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by GGGforce
Nice photos!
Old 9/5/14, 07:41 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Installed the Blowfish bracket this afternoon.
Name:  kTlRjYy.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  1.33 MB
Old 9/5/14, 07:53 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Originally Posted by Brandon302
Installed the Blowfish bracket this afternoon.
Well did it make a difference and was it a hard install?
Old 9/7/14, 11:27 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Installed the Blowfish shifter support bracket this morning. It took about 45 minutes, I have a lift which helps:-). The directions were clear including required tools and it could not have gone better. The materials and design are top quality. I was not having big problems like some have but I always had that notchy, clunky, shifting from 1-2 and 2-3. Once and a while I might miss a gear when not really paying attention ( not getting on it) or I could feel a synchro engaging, but I had just chalked those up to me. I never missed a power shift, maybe just lucky. I was never really satisfied with the shifter and wished it was better ( where you did not have to be so careful with the gates). Not until I read about the BF bracket did I decide to do something, as it seemed they were addressing the root cause of the issues. Well, after installing the new bracket I can tell you there is a significant difference / improvement in shifter feel and engagement. The shifter now feels the way it should. The shifts are solid and direct and you don't have to worry about making the gates, it just happens :-). This has to save wear and tear on the tranny. You can feel slight vibrations when holding the shifter but this is normal for all direct mounted shifters and really is nothing. Perhaps a lot of the MT-82 bashing was really not deserved ( some at least). I really want to see the difference when the temps get cold, when we all know the tranny was the worst. I want to thank Blowfish Racing for making a product that fixes a design issue. It is easy to install and worth every penny. Every MT-82 Mustang should have one.

Last edited by MoscowBoss; 9/7/14 at 11:30 AM.
Old 9/7/14, 12:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by MoscowBoss
Installed the Blowfish shifter support bracket this morning. It took about 45 minutes, I have a lift which helps:-). The directions were clear including required tools and it could not have gone better. The materials and design are top quality. I was not having big problems like some have but I always had that notchy, clunky, shifting from 1-2 and 2-3. Once and a while I might miss a gear when not really paying attention ( not getting on it) or I could feel a synchro engaging, but I had just chalked those up to me. I never missed a power shift, maybe just lucky. I was never really satisfied with the shifter and wished it was better ( where you did not have to be so careful with the gates). Not until I read about the BF bracket did I decide to do something, as it seemed they were addressing the root cause of the issues. Well, after installing the new bracket I can tell you there is a significant difference / improvement in shifter feel and engagement. The shifter now feels the way it should. The shifts are solid and direct and you don't have to worry about making the gates, it just happens :-). This has to save wear and tear on the tranny. You can feel slight vibrations when holding the shifter but this is normal for all direct mounted shifters and really is nothing. Perhaps a lot of the MT-82 bashing was really not deserved ( some at least). I really want to see the difference when the temps get cold, when we all know the tranny was the worst. I want to thank Blowfish Racing for making a product that fixes a design issue. It is easy to install and worth every penny. Every MT-82 Mustang should have one.
I'm still thinking about this piece. I got my MGW in, and while it significantly helped, I can still feel the transmission twisting in its mounts while trying to shift.

The funny part is I haven't had much trouble with my MT-82 either...the occasional 3rd gear lockout (usually when cold) but even with the MGW it doesn't feel as confidence inspiring as it should.
Old 9/7/14, 03:34 PM
Cobra Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Installed my Blowfish shifter bracket this morning as well. Took about an hour after I got the car jacked up & onto the jack stands. No lift, installed in the driveway using jack & jack stands.
Great product, well engineered & fit was spot on.
I have the factory shifter with Energy Suspension rear bushing prior to the Blowfish bracket install.
My only transmission issues have been, a nibble going into 1st & 2nd when cold, The TSB fluid change last year cured that; & binding or lockout going into 3rd gear above 5/6K rpm. The Blowfish bracket has cured the 3rd gear lockout for me. Also felt the overall shifting was more positive & 'crisp' than before. Picked up a 'buzz' or slight vibration in the actual shifter after install, but am not surprised as the aft end of the shifter is now a hard mount, metal to metal. Not a problem for me & am pleased with the product for curing my 3rd gear issue.
hats off to Blowfish Racing

Edit from Monday. Drove this morning with the windows up & noticed I now have a rattle in the shifter in 1st through 3rd gears between 2K & 4K. I'm thinking it is due to the metal to metal rear clamp used to connect the rear of the shifter to the bracket. Will try to add some anti-chafe tape in between & see if that helps.

Last edited by aircare84; 9/8/14 at 03:29 PM.
Old 9/8/14, 08:51 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Drove Miss Scarlett to work today and had to stop for a school bus. The kids waiting to get on shouted out nice Mustang! :-)
Old 9/10/14, 08:02 AM
dsp
V6 Member

Originally Posted by aircare84

Edit from Monday. Drove this morning with the windows up & noticed I now have a rattle in the shifter in 1st through 3rd gears between 2K & 4K. I'm thinking it is due to the metal to metal rear clamp used to connect the rear of the shifter to the bracket. Will try to add some anti-chafe tape in between & see if that helps.
Did you get the height adjustment right? Seems the most likely place for a rattle would be if the shifter was too high and hitting the tunnel.
Old 9/10/14, 08:36 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by dsp
Did you get the height adjustment right? Seems the most likely place for a rattle would be if the shifter was too high and hitting the tunnel.
This is exactly what would be causing it.
Old 9/10/14, 10:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Brandon302. I have looked at this design and it looks solid as heck but, my problems are twofold - first, I keep slipping way too easily into reverse (very, very close to first and lockout does not seem to even be there, and finding first is hit an miss when standing still. Every other gear is like butter. The impression I get is the first and 2nd gear issues will be solved by this but, what about reverse? Is there a definite separate gate for that? This is the first manual I have had this many problems with. I like the MGW because of the reverse lockout and the adjustable gate guard for first and second. If this solves my problems, I will go with the Blowfish.
Old 9/10/14, 12:11 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by SterlingStangMan
Brandon302. I have looked at this design and it looks solid as heck but, my problems are twofold - first, I keep slipping way too easily into reverse (very, very close to first and lockout does not seem to even be there, and finding first is hit an miss when standing still. Every other gear is like butter. The impression I get is the first and 2nd gear issues will be solved by this but, what about reverse? Is there a definite separate gate for that? This is the first manual I have had this many problems with. I like the MGW because of the reverse lockout and the adjustable gate guard for first and second. If this solves my problems, I will go with the Blowfish.
I would see if something is wrong with your reverse lock out, I had a similar issue before with my car but that was because I went from a 93 Celica to a Boss so there were some differences. I do know that reverse is very easy to get into now because the shifter doesn't move and so you know you have pushed down on it because it tries to push back, if that makes sense, rather then giving with the stock marshmallow mount. If you get up on BMO you might be able to ask some of the guys if they are selling their beta unit, pretty much the exact same thing except it should be 1/3 the price than the production unit.
Old 9/10/14, 04:25 PM
Cobra Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dsp
Yes, I actually measured the shifter height prior to install & after installing the bracket, I was still 1/8" lower than stock. Will try lowering a 1/4" or so this coming weekend & see if that works.

Last edited by aircare84; 9/10/14 at 04:27 PM.
Old 9/14/14, 10:49 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by boss man
Hold your lp heaven ponies.....If I remember correctly, you were selling your boss. You even said that some guy was coming to pick the car up with an enclosed trailer....
I mean, It's GREAT that you were able to keep it but it sounded like a done deal with selling it.
Now back to the Pro Charger.... JDM will take good care of you. they build some real nice mustangs there. now that your keeping the car and procharging it. Whats your plans for the Boss. Road / Track / strip or alittle of each...Lol
Please keep us postaed on your build and maybe one day I'll run into you. I also live in Monmouth county By New Egypt.
My i-1 stage II shipped Friday - if all goes well I should have it installed next weekend and tuned the next @ BigDaddy Performance. 3 canned tunes and the 4th custom dynoed. Im syched !

Took so long cause i wanted all the parts in matte black

Any guesses what she gonna make at the tires ? Kooks shorties and no cats
My guess is 625 @ 7.5 On the custom we can hit 10psi i guess 640

JDM is booked and 6 months out at least and couldn't get me a spot so i'm using BigDaddys. I gave Procharger the code on my ecu so the canned tunes will be ok until the dyno tune @ BigD

Last edited by lp heaven; 9/14/14 at 10:52 PM. Reason: cause i wanted to
Old 9/25/14, 07:02 PM
V6 Member

It has arrived

Name:  10479684_10204012628790041_6523803797597875402_n_zps31958fe0.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  67.6 KB
Old 9/25/14, 07:24 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Originally Posted by lp heaven
It has arrived

Quick Reply: What have you done to/with your Boss 302 this week?