Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Airbag of Exploding Death

Search this Thread

Old 1/26/16, 04:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Airbag of Exploding Death

Anyone have any news regarding this recall? I have yet to receive a letter or update from my dealer. Has anyone had theirs replaced yet? Thanks
Old 1/26/16, 07:26 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
I have a letter telling of the recall and stating parts are not yet available.
Old 1/27/16, 04:21 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
It will be a while. Even longer now, with more cars being involved.
Old 1/27/16, 10:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
I had the recall done or could have been the temp fix. I will try and find the paper work. I know they had my steering wheel apart.
Old 1/27/16, 02:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
I had the recall done on my 05 back in March of 15. Then in July of 15 I got a letter from Ford telling me that the airbag recall had to be done (again?) and they would send me another letter when the parts were available. I still as of today have not got a further letter from Ford informing me that the parts are available. I don't really like driving around with the possibility of a defective airbag and who knows when the improved parts will be available? I should call my dealer I suppose since it's been six months since I got the letter from Ford telling me that they would inform me when the parts were available to do a second replacement.
Old 1/28/16, 04:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
At the time this mess started, knowledgeable motor industry folks calculated that at the current rate of production by the manufacturer, it would take two and a half years to make enough parts. I doubt the manufacturers have upgraded their facilities or processes, and if they have, it's even less likely they'll catch up with the new influx of defectful airbags.

"Grit your teeth and relax", as the existentialists say.
Old 1/29/16, 11:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have only received the notice for my 14 GT but no fix yet. My fiancee's 07 GT has received the temporary fix until parts for the complete fix are available.

Wayne
Old 1/31/16, 03:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
The only temporary fix to this is not to crash
Old 1/31/16, 03:22 PM
Cobra Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Hundreds on millions of vehicles needing replacements worldwide, and the company is on a death march to bankruptcy. Most are likely to have sold off their vehicle before there is a fix available.

Don't hold your breath.

On the plus side we are at around ten deaths worldwide and all but one were in Hondas.
Old 1/31/16, 03:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by lowblustang00
Hundreds on millions of vehicles needing replacements worldwide, and the company is on a death march to bankruptcy. Most are likely to have sold off their vehicle before there is a fix available.

Don't hold your breath.

On the plus side we are at around ten deaths worldwide and all but one were in Hondas.
I was considering trading my car, unrelated to the airbag, and one dealer wouldn't take it on trade, and the other low balled me at $21k because they can't sell a car that has a pending recall. So keep that in mind too. One Ford dealer I went to said they're specifically allowed to sell them, only after the potential customer signs a waiver of liability.
Old 1/31/16, 03:32 PM
Cobra Member

You know, I haven't even thought about that.
Old 1/31/16, 05:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by laserred38
I was considering trading my car, unrelated to the airbag, and one dealer wouldn't take it on trade, and the other low balled me at $21k because they can't sell a car that has a pending recall. So keep that in mind too. One Ford dealer I went to said they're specifically allowed to sell them, only after the potential customer signs a waiver of liability.
Well, this certainly s**ks
Old 1/31/16, 05:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Last1
Well, this certainly s**ks
I have thought about just unplugging it until the parts come in. But I guess that's a federal felony so then there's that
Old 2/1/16, 04:17 AM

I 'think' the last death was in a Ford Ranger. I could be wrong. I might unplug mine today. I guess the air bag light will be on
Old 2/1/16, 08:11 AM

Unplugged mine. I put a little piece of electrical tape to hide the 'air bag' light.
Old 2/3/16, 03:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Like I posted before, on 3/25/15 per the recall, I had my airbag replaced in my 05 GT. Then in July of 2015 I got the letter from Ford stating that the airbag needs to be replaced and that they will send me another letter when parts are available. As of today 2/3/16 I have not received the letter that parts are available so after seeing the story about the airbags exploding in a Ford truck, I called my dealer and they told me that the parts are not available and to wait for the second letter from Ford. Still worrying about the safety of driving my Mustang, I went on the Ford owners site and contacted them via email and am now waiting for their reply. If I don't get a response in a few days I will call Ford customer service to try and find out more. Reading about the latest issue and seeing the video on line with I think a Ford Ranger truck where the guy got killed and the woman in her Honda who was almost blinded has kind of freaked me out. I saw that video today and now I wonder if it is safe to drive the car. And what about my new 2015 Explorer that I got last July??

Anybody got any more info??
Old 2/3/16, 04:26 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Scarpi
Anybody got any more info??
No new info other than with the addition of the ranger and Mazda equivalent they have added millions more to the list.

And thanks to laserred, that dealers are not taking these cars in on trade because it is illegal to sell a car with a pending recall. So they would have to sit on what they already understand, and i should expect you will soon too, that it is going to probably take 2-4 years to get all vehicles taken care of, and that is only if Takata (who is responsible for this) doesn't go bankrupt before then.

As a matter of fact I do believe I read that the NHTSA has given them 4 yrs. to fix all vehicles affected. And if Takata is still around in 4 years, you can bet they will be requesting an extension, because they were "unable to accommodate" the growing list of vehicles.

The only way I see this getting fixed sooner will be threat of class action suits against the vehicle manufacturers. Which may have to happen anyways when Takata goes bankrupt.

Long story short. Do not expect this to be a quick fix. It is not going to be days, weeks, or even months, before you find resolution you will be disappointed.

THIS IS GOING TO TAKE YEARS.
Old 2/3/16, 07:10 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I received the letter last year but that's all I've heard.
Old 2/3/16, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time I have drove my Boss since I got the letter was to make the 160 mile round trip to have the oil changed.
I asked the dealer to disable the air bag system but he wouldn't.
He told me they had replacements for the recalled cars where the recall notice number started with a 14 in stock, but said the Boss started with a 15 and he had no ideal when they would get them in.
Will somebody tell me what to unplug to disable this system. I don't have a service manual for the 13 Boss but would unplug the system if I knew what to unplug?
Greg
Old 2/4/16, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by gregaba
First time I have drove my Boss since I got the letter was to make the 160 mile round trip to have the oil changed.
I asked the dealer to disable the air bag system but he wouldn't.
He told me they had replacements for the recalled cars where the recall notice number started with a 14 in stock, but said the Boss started with a 15 and he had no ideal when they would get them in.
Will somebody tell me what to unplug to disable this system. I don't have a service manual for the 13 Boss but would unplug the system if I knew what to unplug?
Greg
This is 'not' a video on how to unplug the airbag, but this is how i undid the plugs on my airbag. You also have to put a piece of tape to hide the airbag 'light' on the dash

Quick Reply: Airbag of Exploding Death