Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2014 GT Engine tick

Search this Thread

Old 3/22/15, 03:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So. This has been an issue since the days of the 03/04 cobra and 03/04 mach1. They had this same issue. Some said it was valve guides getting gauled due to heat, some said it was a piston slap, some said it was due to additional heat, etc. My point is no one knew what it was but none of those engines failed due to a tick.

There are so many moving parts on our engines, that you are bound to get some noise. ticking, etc. I have heard Ferrari's and Porsche's with noisy engines. Additionally our engines are 100% aluminum, and aluminum conducts sound like crazy. So any little noise will only get amplified as it exits our aluminum engines and then bounces off the ground or steel fender aprons and steel fire walls.

Again I have not heard or seen of one of these engines fail due to this tick.

My 2011 5.0 had the tick and I beat that car like a red headed step child and it never failed. Thus far my 2014 does not have the tick but if it does get it. I don't care. My 04' Mach1 had the tick and again I abused that car daily and it never failed.
Old 4/14/15, 06:17 AM

I have 6600 mile on my 2014 gt track pack... I took it into the dealer for the oil change since I could not find any 5w50 full synth. oil. and it was a complimentary oil change so free was the best option. first thing to told the service dept. at the counter was my car requires 5w50 full synth. She said ok and then I waited about 2 hours. the tech pulled my car into the lane and I met him out there knowing that they would put the 5w20 in it out of the pump. Of course he did so they got the service manager involved and he told me all mustangs take 5w20 anyways I told him it is in the owners manual and on the oil cap 5w50. I also told him about all the threads I read about this tick. And guess what mine started I am really upset because I paid 30+ k for my car and I got to drive if for 1 oil change. know I don't know what to do since I will me upside down trading it in and it seems like I have read hundreds of threads and all answers are different and ford seems to be turning more people down than resolving this issue. So my question is, "Is this happening to mostly track pack car with the 5w50 or how many standard gt using 5w20 have the same problem."
Old 4/14/15, 09:24 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 2014gt5.0Tpack
I have 6600 mile on my 2014 gt track pack... I took it into the dealer for the oil change since I could not find any 5w50 full synth. oil. and it was a complimentary oil change so free was the best option. first thing to told the service dept. at the counter was my car requires 5w50 full synth. She said ok and then I waited about 2 hours. the tech pulled my car into the lane and I met him out there knowing that they would put the 5w20 in it out of the pump. Of course he did so they got the service manager involved and he told me all mustangs take 5w20 anyways I told him it is in the owners manual and on the oil cap 5w50. I also told him about all the threads I read about this tick. And guess what mine started I am really upset because I paid 30+ k for my car and I got to drive if for 1 oil change. know I don't know what to do since I will me upside down trading it in and it seems like I have read hundreds of threads and all answers are different and ford seems to be turning more people down than resolving this issue. So my question is, "Is this happening to mostly track pack car with the 5w50 or how many standard gt using 5w20 have the same problem."
Hello 2014gt5.0Tpack,

Welcome to the forum. My name is Deysha with Ford Service and I recommend you bring your vehicle in to your Ford Dealer to get this diagnosed. Also, please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number. I’ll loop in your customer service manager for your area.

Deysha
Old 9/2/15, 02:24 PM

Ford will not do anything to fix this issue.
I have a Roush stage 2 2014. With this tick thT came about after the first oil change.
I raised the car up while running and it sounds as if the crank is making contact with the windage tray.
BTW the dealers in my area will not service or even replace the driver airbag under the current safety recall because it is a Roush. !!!!
The airbag is not a Roush item
I am fed up with dealing with Ford dealerships and their parts replacers (not real techs) I wouldn't let them work on my lawnmower let alone my car.
I will fix this issue myself as usual.

I know I know. Please send your VIN and the other crap.
Service engineers do your freaking job and fix this. Instead of being about the sale.
Old 9/2/15, 02:35 PM

By the way the surge we are having at 40mph at or between 1800-2500rpm is the latency in the phasers that control the cam timing.
Old 9/2/15, 02:37 PM

The surge at cold start up is another issue. Because the phasers are locked until the engine reaches operating temperature.
Old 9/2/15, 08:53 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2014gt5.0Tpack
Don't know if you saw my thread or not here:
https://themustangsource.com/forums/...-knock-538110/

When my tick happened the first time after the first oil change, they rebuilt the engine. 3000 miles later I changed the oil and the tick came back. Ford refused to help. I took it upon myself and paid a Ford dealer to remove the A/C stretchy belt. They reported to me the noise stopped. They called Ford to ask about TSB 12-8-14 since my car had a stretchy belt. Ford refused to cover the TSB because it was only for 11 and 12 cars. I told the dealer add the tensioner in with the new belt. My tick is solved.

I'm not saying yours is the same issue as mine but always remove the stretchy belt first to rule-it-out. If the noise goes away, pay them to install for the tensioner. Ford will not help you with it. If the noise does not go away, you likely have an engine block issue and you should proceed to cancel cylinders to see which one, if any, makes the noise go away.

I'm seeing about a class action against Ford for the stretchy belt but unfortunately what's going to hurt it is the fact that the stretchy belt noise does not cause harm to the car.
Old 9/2/15, 11:15 PM
Cobra Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah i was at my dealer, tried to get that tsb done on my 14, they would not do it since it was for 11s and 12s. Do you know what your car sounded like before? For the record i dont have the inconsistent bbq tick... i have a light, highly consistent tapping noise from what i believe is the passenger side. Also how much did this TSB run you out of pocket?
Old 9/2/15, 11:24 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by xtc.inc
Yeah i was at my dealer, tried to get that tsb done on my 14, they would not do it since it was for 11s and 12s. Do you know what your car sounded like before? For the record i dont have the inconsistent bbq tick... i have a light, highly consistent tapping noise from what i believe is the passenger side. Also how much did this TSB run you out of pocket?

I have a video of my issue below:

The TSB cost me 388 bucks. They only did the front cover items and nothing else ( new belt and tensioner ). A consistent tick will probably be a different issue but you should still remove the belt to completely rule it out. If you can, please post a video of your issue so we can see what Ford is not willing to fix, along with all the other issues they don't want to fix for us

Last edited by jc46002003; 9/2/15 at 11:27 PM.
Old 9/21/15, 01:54 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by jc46002003
I have a video of my issue below:

The TSB cost me 388 bucks. They only did the front cover items and nothing else ( new belt and tensioner ). A consistent tick will probably be a different issue but you should still remove the belt to completely rule it out. If you can, please post a video of your issue so we can see what Ford is not willing to fix, along with all the other issues they don't want to fix for us

2014 Mustang GT 5.0 tick - YouTube
Had the stretchy belt issue and didn't want to fight ford over it. I ordered the kit online it was $69 shipped from oem ford parts
Came with belt tensioner and idler pulley and took all of 10 minutes to install. 13s and 14s already have the holes drilled and tapped in the timing cover for the pulley and tensioner.
Part number
BR3Z-8620-DA
KIT - TENSION PULLEY