Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Mgw race spec noise?

Search this Thread

Old 9/19/15, 10:47 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Mgw race spec noise?

I've talked myself into and out of this mod several times. I went as far as to start saving money for it. My car, as it sits, has very little to no extra noise in comparison to stock form. This has been my goal in all of my mods and I'm pretty happy with my car. The shifts could be better but I keep reading conflicting stories about noise. I recently bought some take off boss rims from a guy with the mgw and he let me hear how loud it was. The sound was pretty annoying. I recently watched the Matt Farrah video about v6 mustangs and he comments on the noise from the mgw shifter. The only thing I noticed is it seems many folks that have noise seem to have 1 piece aluminum drive shafts and the mgw.

I'm wondering if folks that have installed the mgw have any advice to avoid noise. Is the noise an install issue? Is it more rare than it seems? This really worries me.
Old 9/20/15, 09:34 PM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the first version race spec MGW....the first generation still attaches to the floor pan in the stock location. After installing and seeing the next generation race spec (does not attach to the floor pan) I contacted George and asked which one would have less vibration and noise. He told me the first version would have slightly more "felt" vibration in the floor pan and the next generation would have less felt vibration in the floor pan but it would be noisier. I don't have any issues with the original race spec that I have, vibration or noise.

Hope this helps.
Old 9/21/15, 07:34 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2013 GT, I had the 1st version of the MGW Shifter installed, maybe a little more noise and vibration than stock, but 100% worth it for the added positive shifting experience. Then in Jan 2015, I traded the 1st version in on the MGW Race Spec, I wouldn't say there is any increased noise or vibration compared to stock, but the shifting experience is 100% positive and smooth. Don't hesitate to buy the MGW Race Spec Shifter, It's by far the Very Best and Worth every dollar spend! PM me if you have any questions!
Old 9/23/15, 11:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
i have a barton 2 post with a steeda trans mount bushing insert on a stock 401A shifter with an SR braided clutch fluid line and redline mtl,the only way i can miss a shift now is driver error!! btw thats on the stock clutch with 30k.
Old 9/27/15, 08:10 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Ponywars
i have a barton 2 post with a steeda trans mount bushing insert on a stock 401A shifter with an SR braided clutch fluid line and redline mtl,the only way i can miss a shift now is driver error!! btw thats on the stock clutch with 30k.
I'm leaning towards getting the braided clutch line and doing royal purple synchromesh and seeing how that is. I have the steeds bracket on my car now. I'll probably end with the mgw anyway. I'm just terrified of noise. I'm lucky that with all my mods there has been little to no nvh. I don't want my car to sound like a rattle trap.

Thank you to those that have posted about their experiences with the mgw race spec. Lol, your accounts make me a little more afraid. Both posters here have the original race spec that was suppose to be quieter than the one that is currently available. Now I'm a bit more on the fence. I look forward to anymore advice. Thanks to all.
Old 9/27/15, 08:17 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
The JHR clutch line is worthwhile upgrade and easy to install.
Old 9/28/15, 01:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mine is the 14 Revision version, right before the Race Spec came out (ouch!). I don't recall any 'annoying' noise but this might relate to boss side pipes. Do a Canyon Run with me, and I'll let you drive mine
Old 9/28/15, 08:50 PM

I installed my MGW Race Spec this spring and have not noticed any increase in noise. It is worth every penny! Do not hesitate to put it in.
Old 10/3/15, 10:06 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by drmag
I installed my MGW Race Spec this spring and have not noticed any increase in noise. It is worth every penny! Do not hesitate to put it in.
Darn! Posts like this always make me rethink my decision. I want to drink the mgw cool aid. I just don't want to have to install it, find out it has noise, and then switch back to stock.
Old 10/3/15, 11:03 PM
GT Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Even after the unlikely event of "noise" you will not switch back to stock after trying a MGW, it's that simple.
I have the early MGW so cant really comment on the race spec but if I were buying now that is what I would have. My install had no noise increase what so ever.
The fact is once you modify anything on your car whatever it my be you become conscious of it and notice any small noise or difference whether it was there before or not!
Old 10/8/15, 11:38 AM
V6 Member

I've posted before concerning the MGW Shifter, You won't be sorry if you buy one and install it. Why don't you give George a call at MGW and ask him about added noise, he's a very up front and honest guy! Of all the Mods I have made to my car, I'd say that the MGW Race Spec Shifter is #1 on the list. The shifter is the best period. With all the other Mods you have on your car, the MGW will be one of your best decisions!
Old 10/10/15, 08:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
If you're sensitive to NVH don't get anything with "race" in the name.
Old 12/24/16, 11:50 AM
Cobra R Member

I was wondering if anyone with the newest version of the race spec mgw could post a review here focusing on nvh. I have the steeda shifter and bracket right now and I am considering stepping up to the mgw. I have some gear noise in 2nd with the steeda but I'm used to it. If the mgw is a similar level of nvh, I might have to do it.
Old 12/24/16, 02:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Did you see my post in the other thread? Zero noise. It's actually quieter than my old one! There IS some additional vibration at the shift ****, but it's more than acceptable for me. It actually enhances the driving experience because you feel more connected to the car. It feels like a Tremec now. I highly recommend it.
Old 12/24/16, 02:46 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Did you see my post in the other thread? Zero noise. It's actually quieter than my old one! There IS some additional vibration at the shift ****, but it's more than acceptable for me. It actually enhances the driving experience because you feel more connected to the car. It feels like a Tremec now. I highly recommend it.
Lol. I forgot to subscribe to the other thread after I asked you to review it. This is what I was looking for. Thank you!!!!
Old 12/24/16, 02:57 PM
GT Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Ponywars
I'm still a firm believer that solid motor mounts is the best way to get rid of the shifting issues. Car is gone now so I can't test the theory.