2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Tuning a warranty car - worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10/29/15, 11:33 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Holy **** did this tune wake the car up! I've only taken it for a quick spin around the neighborhood, but it feels like a different car. I'm going to have to get this thing down to a shop and dyno it.

One note - the open CAI has some interesting sounds when on throttle. You can hear it gasping and sucking air in. It'll take a while to get used to that.

I'll update more as I drive on my normal commute.
Glad you are happy with the Steeda tune & CAI package -- definitely sounds like the CAI & Tune package!!

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 11/5/15, 11:45 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 100K drivetrain warranty because my car is CPO. Not going to mess with it plus it has plenty of power for me as it is.
Old 11/6/15, 07:04 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Getting a tune is well worth it especially if one has an automatic.
Old 11/9/15, 04:56 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
Getting a tune is well worth it especially if one has an automatic.
I want to tune my car. The shift points and the delay bug me. When I had my 2000 GT I got a chip and boy what a difference. I'm on the fence because of the warranty, though. Maybe next spring when I awaken her from her winter nap.
Old 11/10/15, 11:10 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
All the people on here talking about how they can't believe people wouldn't mod their cars and void the warranty are people who can probably afford a new long block if Ford denies their warranty. I'm not saying I don't have that kind of money, but god, what a waste it would be.
Old 11/10/15, 02:31 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
All the people on here talking about how they can't believe people wouldn't mod their cars and void the warranty are people who can probably afford a new long block if Ford denies their warranty. I'm not saying I don't have that kind of money, but god, what a waste it would be.
I completely understand if someone doesn't want to chance loosing a item being fix under warranty but nobody is loosing a block. Engines aren't blowing up from reputable tuning companies. I have been on forums for the past 5 years and other than the #8 cyclinder issue back in 2011 and 2012 what engines were and are being blown up. That #8 issue is a thing of the past and the cylinder issue was fixed in the later models. The coyote engine is far from new now.

Bama, Steeda, MPT, Lund, VMP, AED aren't blowing up engines. These companies are not going to mess with the parameters so bad it blows up the engine. They have this down to a science. Who knows about some local brother and brothwr performance shop down the street from someone but the major tuning companies know their stuff.

Ford is not denying a warranty claim to fix a air conditioning issue or window motor because of a tune or rotor issues or thermostat issues.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 11/10/15 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11/10/15, 02:53 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

A failure doesn't have to actually be from a tune to get denied by Ford. You could have any failure that puts metal debris in the oil and destroys the crank and bearings or destroy the block. Ford will still see you had a tune on it and deny it.
Old 11/10/15, 03:06 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

A failure doesn't have to actually be from a tune to get denied by Ford. You could have any failure that puts metal debris in the oil and destroys the crank and bearings or destroy the block. Ford will still see you had a tune on it and deny it.
What does a tune have to do with metal debris in the oil and destroys the crank and bearings?

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 11/10/15 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11/10/15, 03:23 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
What does a tune have to do with metal debris in the oil and destroys the crank and bearings?
It could be nothing to do with it at all.

I think his point is, that Ford, with knowledge of the tune, COULD deny warranty work. The person could put up a fight in court etc, blah blah blah...fine, but still, it will cost that person time and money. Some people choose to not mod at all for that reason alone.
Old 11/10/15, 03:47 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5

It could be nothing to do with it at all.

I think his point is, that Ford, with knowledge of the tune, COULD deny warranty work. The person could put up a fight in court etc, blah blah blah...fine, but still, it will cost that person time and money. Some people choose to not mod at all for that reason alone.
I completely understand that. I fully respect that. It makes no difference to me whether or not someone tunes their car. Its their car, do what they want.

My car was tuned at 5k miles and wasn't concerned about the warranty. Thats just me.
Old 11/10/15, 03:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I take back an earlier post in this thread. I had every intention of doing an intake/tb/tune come spring. Now that I have that **** engine tick I'm glad it's not tuned. I'll probably not tune for this reason alone. I have no idea what is wrong with my engine now and with a tune it is very easy for my dealer or any dealer to deny warranty work. I don't have 10k to shell out for an engine replacement.
Old 11/10/15, 05:48 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Last1
I take back an earlier post in this thread. I had every intention of doing an intake/tb/tune come spring. Now that I have that **** engine tick I'm glad it's not tuned. I'll probably not tune for this reason alone. I have no idea what is wrong with my engine now and with a tune it is very easy for my dealer or any dealer to deny warranty work. I don't have 10k to shell out for an engine replacement.
You are totally correct. You got to pay to play and one takes a chance should they need warranty work. If someone was really on the fence about tuning because of warranty work, Steeda would be the best option. Steeda tunes some of Fords specialty vehicles and they have a close working relationship with them. If the dealership tried to deny warranty work because of it having a Steeda tune, Steeda steps in and works on your behalf to resolve the issue.
Old 11/11/15, 06:31 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Last1
Engine tiiiiick!!! Yup, almost all of us have the tick. That's another reason why I want to take mine in to get looked at one more time for the tick before I start modding it. Probably gonna put a blower on it next summer. if my engine blows, oh well, I'll buy an aluminator or something. It's not like I'm going to be using that money on a ring or house downpayment any time soon. #ForeverAlone

You are totally correct. You got to pay to play and one takes a chance should they need warranty work. If someone was really on the fence about tuning because of warranty work, Steeda would be the best option. Steeda tunes some of Fords specialty vehicles and they have a close working relationship with them. If the dealership tried to deny warranty work because of it having a Steeda tune, Steeda steps in and works on your behalf to resolve the issue.
Yeah, Steeda does offer a warranty if the tune is determined to be the root cause of failure. They would be your best bet. OR go with the FRPP Procal tune, it gives you the FRPP warranty (which is lower than the manufacturer's warranty, but a warranty nonetheless)
Old 11/11/15, 12:16 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Engine tiiiiick!!! Yup, almost all of us have the tick. That's another reason why I want to take mine in to get looked at one more time for the tick before I start modding it. Probably gonna put a blower on it next summer. if my engine blows, oh well, I'll buy an aluminator or something. It's not like I'm going to be using that money on a ring or house downpayment any time soon. #ForeverAlone

Yeah, Steeda does offer a warranty if the tune is determined to be the root cause of failure. They would be your best bet. OR go with the FRPP Procal tune, it gives you the FRPP warranty (which is lower than the manufacturer's warranty, but a warranty nonetheless)
My father has the pro cal tune on his 2014 5.0 because he wanted the guaranteed warranty coverage for the 3yr 36 month.
Old 11/18/15, 08:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It's not worth it to me. The car has enough power for me and I don't need a run around from Ford in case I have an engine issue. I'm not impressed with how Ford handles their warranty claims as it is.

Wayne