Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Tuning a warranty car - worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10/21/15, 02:01 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tuning a warranty car - worth it?

I know this comes down to personal preference, but those of you who decided to install a tune, CAI, etc while still under warranty.....is it worth it?

I've got a few thousand miles until my bumper-bumper warranty is up, then I have 1 year CPO coverage. But, I really do want to "wake up" the Coyote and start modding.

I've heard all the arguments that a tune has to specifically cause a failure for non-coverage, but we all know that a car owner is not winning a fight vs. a dealer if you've got an aftermarket tune.

Thoughts?
Old 10/21/15, 02:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
No CAI here, as it really is not necessary, but I tuned within 3 months of owning it lol
Old 10/21/15, 04:36 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
No CAI here, as it really is not necessary, but I tuned within 3 months of owning it lol
I'm considering the Steeda CAI which requires a tune to take advantage.
Old 10/21/15, 06:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by RTR-5.0
I know this comes down to personal preference, but those of you who decided to install a tune, CAI, etc while still under warranty.....is it worth it?

I've got a few thousand miles until my bumper-bumper warranty is up, then I have 1 year CPO coverage. But, I really do want to "wake up" the Coyote and start modding.

I've heard all the arguments that a tune has to specifically cause a failure for non-coverage, but we all know that a car owner is not winning a fight vs. a dealer if you've got an aftermarket tune.

Thoughts?
Ummmm I threw a VMP kit on at 11k miles and no regrets here. A lot of warranty work can still be performed without you worrying about being denied.
Old 10/21/15, 06:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm with you on this. I still have about 2.5 yrs on my powertrain warranty, and I'm getting anxious for a tune and cai, probably gonna get something soon. I just can't wait any longer.
Old 10/21/15, 07:04 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
The real gains are in the tune ... but we do offer a CAI with restrictor (no tune required), here: http://www.steeda.com/steeda-proflow...ired-555-3190/

Sometimes, it is best to talk to your dealer & see how they feel about a tune.

We have a tremendous track record in the industry & the Steeda name is well received among dealers.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 10/22/15, 05:42 AM
GT Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
On my last two Mustangs I've waited until I've shook the engine down a bit, like 10K miles, and then tuned.

No regrets, but never had a warranty type issue either. I feel there is a big enough difference in overall feel to justify what I think is a slight risk.

Life's too short...
Old 10/22/15, 05:50 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
I did the same thing Dean did, added a CAI and tune after about 10K miles. Added supercharger after warranty expired (installed it 764 miles past expiration).
Old 10/22/15, 08:20 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Blown CS
Ummmm I threw a VMP kit on at 11k miles and no regrets here. A lot of warranty work can still be performed without you worrying about being denied.
Originally Posted by SpectreH
I did the same thing Dean did, added a CAI and tune after about 10K miles. Added supercharger after warranty expired (installed it 764 miles past expiration).
Wow... I had my maggie blower added after 4k miles on the clock. And yes, a tune came with that too.

Originally Posted by BackroadGT
I'm with you on this. I still have about 2.5 yrs on my powertrain warranty, and I'm getting anxious for a tune and cai, probably gonna get something soon. I just can't wait any longer.
I don't know how you guys do it... hanging on like that. You guys are true patriots.

My next stang/toy car will get modded the minute I bring them home. Yes, I'll have the mod parts ready before I get the car. lol.
Old 10/22/15, 11:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've heard all the arguments that a tune has to specifically cause a failure for non-coverage, but we all know that a car owner is not winning a fight vs. a dealer if you've got an aftermarket tune.Thoughts?
My car has had a Boss Mani, Steeda CAI and Steeda tune on it since it had 21 miles, which was the day I picked up the car. Stop worrying and just enjoy the car.
Old 10/22/15, 01:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You got 5.0 right? Just wait till your powertrain warranty is up then go bozankers! 5.0 is already powerful.
Old 10/22/15, 01:17 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by JonsMustang
You got 5.0 right? Just wait till your powertrain warranty is up then go bozankers! 5.0 is already powerful.
5 years? Come on man. You think Mustang owners are that patient? lol.
Old 10/22/15, 01:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just to be on the safe side...
Originally Posted by FromZto5
5 years? Come on man. You think Mustang owners are that patient? lol.
Old 10/22/15, 01:53 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Still amazed people want more power. I rarely use WOT for more than a few seconds on the street. At the track the car has plenty of power to beat up on almost anything provided brakes and suspension are up to the task (and the driver....)

I'm completely satisfied with oem power. After 2.5 years and 3000+ track miles I still have no desire for more power. More downforce tho please
Old 10/22/15, 02:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I have the Track Cal... Very recently installed. But putting the power to the ground has always been my problem. The Horsepower Bug is always hard to ignore. But if you are concerned about warranty... Tire and suspension mods may improve Smiles Per Mile...
Old 10/22/15, 04:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by dmichaels
Still amazed people want more power. I rarely use WOT for more than a few seconds on the street. At the track the car has plenty of power to beat up on almost anything provided brakes and suspension are up to the task (and the driver....)

I'm completely satisfied with oem power. After 2.5 years and 3000+ track miles I still have no desire for more power. More downforce tho please
I agreed with you, the 5.0 is plenty power for me. Once in awhile I let it loose, but I use it almost daily, rarely do I go WOT or even get it over 4k rpms.

Do you need the extra power? What do you plan to do with your car? I wanted to tune my car too, but was worry about the warranty also. I don't track my car, it's just a fun car I enjoy driving on the streets. I would rarely get to enjoy the benefits if I modded my car.
Old 10/22/15, 05:11 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
I've thought about tuning my V6 just to get better throttle response, but have held off because of concerns about the warranty. This is my first domestic car in over 40 years. I know how reliable Hondas are as we've put hundreds of thousands of miles on them. I'm just not sure if I can expect the same sort of thing with my Mustang.
Old 10/22/15, 05:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by kanine
I agreed with you, the 5.0 is plenty power for me. Once in awhile I let it loose, but I use it almost daily, rarely do I go WOT or even get it over 4k rpms.
Wow, really? I daily drive mine and the fun is just getting started after 3k... I drive it hard sometimes and hit the rev limiter every once in a while. I would absolutely get a tune if I had the the money. I just dropped a few beans on wheels and suspension.
Old 10/22/15, 07:39 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Tune it, you will love it more.
Old 10/22/15, 07:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Last1
Wow, really? I daily drive mine and the fun is just getting started after 3k... I drive it hard sometimes and hit the rev limiter every once in a while. I would absolutely get a tune if I had the the money. I just dropped a few beans on wheels and suspension.
I know, it's sad, NYC traffic and trying to save on gas when I'm just commuting.

Quick Reply: Tuning a warranty car - worth it?