2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
View Poll Results: What color stripes?
Blue (like 07-09 GT500)
26.03%
Silver (like Shelby GT)
26.03%
Flat Black (to match the other black pieces)
32.88%
None
15.07%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

thinking about stripes on my car

Search this Thread

Old 9/24/10 | 10:41 AM
Banned

Back in the late '80s when I was a proud owner of a '72 Gran Torino Sport I worked hard restoring i came up to a light next to a newer "5.0L" Mustang thinking "this should give me a good run for my money" when my buddy who managed quick oil change place says, "Holy s&^t, it's that guy that put the 5.0 emblems on his 4 banger; he comes to my shop for his oil changes!". So I started revving my engine and looking over; all he did was sink lower and lower in his seat, finally looked over and held up 4 fingers and mouthed something. I rolled down my window and says, "Whaaaaat?" he yells "It's only got a 4!" I yelled back "Well you should stop pretending to be something you're not!" and sped away as the light changed. Every time we saw that guy, whether it was in my Torino or my buddy's Chevelle we used to give him a hard time.

That's why it's a pet peeve to me about Shelby stripes on non-Shelbys. I just think back to that tool and still shake my head 20 years later.

Last edited by OAC_Sparky; 9/24/10 at 10:45 AM.
Old 9/24/10 | 12:14 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Modshack
Trust me, that will not be an issue (the fit). On the bubbles, most large decals/stripes are installed wet using a mix of water with a few drops of detergent. This allows you to position the stripes, then squeegee out the water so it adheres evenly. It's rare to get bubbles if your squeegee technique is good. If you do end up with a few small ones, just ***** the bubble with a pin and squeegee flat again..A pro knows how to do all this, so don't worry about it..
Good tips. Only a couple more obtacles: MoProAuto guy (that you referenced) says not to put his "EZ" stripes on wet. But you are right, my local Pro will Know, if I can just get him to call me back.

The other obstacle is that my wife doesnt like my choice of stripe, and I don't like hers, altho she very much likes my color choice (Avery's "Electric Blue" metallic). I like the stripes all the down to the bottom of the front bumper, she likes them to stop at the leading edge of the hood and just below the top of the trunk. I just can't warm up to her choice, altho it looks great on 2010 Camaros. Her choice is below, my choice is below that. SO - how do we compromise?
Attached Thumbnails thinking about stripes on my car-wildstang2010flyer.jpg   thinking about stripes on my car-my-choice.jpg  
Old 9/24/10 | 12:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Double-EDad
Good tips. Only a couple more obtacles: MoProAuto guy (that you referenced) says not to put his "EZ" stripes on wet. But you are right, my local Pro will Know, if I can just get him to call me back.

The other obstacle is that my wife doesnt like my choice of stripe,
Personally I would not go with the EZ (dry) stripe application. Most quality films (including the 3M scotchcal film I got) go on wet. On the style, fight that out with the wife. Mine likes what I did to mine but she's known me for 56 of my 57 cars. I can get away with pretty much anything!
Old 9/24/10 | 12:25 PM
Cobra Member

That's awesome, Steve.

"So, how long have you two been together?"
"56 cars."

Old 9/24/10 | 12:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by m4a1mustang
That's awesome, Steve.

"So, how long have you two been together?"
"56 cars."

LOL......Well, this year will be 40 years married. The first car she knew, I'm almost embarassed to admit, was this '64 turbo Corvair Spyder.. She missed the MGA that came before. It was 40 years ago. I was young and stupid......and yeah, like an idiot, I painted those on!....

Last edited by Modshack; 9/24/10 at 12:43 PM.
Old 9/24/10 | 12:43 PM
Cobra R Member

Personally I would not go with the EZ (dry) stripe application. Most quality films (including the 3M scotchcal film I got) go on wet. On the style, fight that out with the wife. Mine likes what I did to mine but she's known me for 56 of my 57 cars. I can get away with pretty much anything!
LOL, My wife & I've been together thru about 2 dozen cars (over 16-1/2 years), but none quite as personalizable as this Mustang.

As for the film, the ONLY one I've found in the right color (close anyway) is the Avery film. The closest thing 3M makes is too dark of a blue.

I'm thinking of just ordering the kit (that I want) now, whilst its $142, and getting it installed and seeing how it looks (after I get my car back from the body shop). If she really hates it (or I don't like it), we can get the heat gun out and remove it and start over...

Last edited by Double-EDad; 9/24/10 at 12:46 PM.
Old 9/24/10 | 12:46 PM
Cobra R Member

LOL......Well, this year will be 40 years married. The first car she knew, I'm almost embarassed to admit, was this '64 turbo Corvair Spyder.. She missed the MGA that came before. It was 40 years ago. I was young and stupid......and yeah, like an idiot, I painted those on!....

LOL, it's missing the giant "SHELBY" letting across the top of the winshield!! Still, that's a fetching car, Modshack. Nice touch on the blackout grille.

Last edited by Double-EDad; 9/24/10 at 12:47 PM.
Old 9/24/10 | 12:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Still, that's a fetching car, Modshack. Nice touch on the blackout grille.
LOL..Back in the day it was a pretty cool ride. Turbochargers were rare, Corvairs were Funky (at least until Ralph buried them...:-)
Old 9/24/10 | 12:52 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

grabber blue all day and night long! its just a great combo.
Old 9/24/10 | 01:52 PM
Cobra R Member

LOL..Back in the day it was a pretty cool ride. Turbochargers were rare, Corvairs were Funky (at least until Ralph buried them...:-)
I think one definitely needs to consider the era of the car, and for 1965 that Corvair was a rad ride. The 'Vette was just getting its first big block, the GTO had just emerged, and no one had yet seen a Camaro or Cougar.

I like how even back then you were a fan of the big inboard-mounted fog lights, ha-ha.
Old 9/24/10 | 01:54 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang
grabber blue all day and night long! its just a great combo.
I love Grabber blue with white stripes. I like it a lot more than white with GB stripes or just plain GB. I am apologize for my weirdness.
Old 9/29/10 | 09:47 PM
Cobra Member

i think i decided against all out shelby stripes

what do you think if i just stripe the bulge?

probably in flat black to match all the other black trim on the stang

and would you go with the outline or no?

http://www.bobwhitedecals.com/Produc...NoOutline.html

here's flat black

here is one where the trim stripe doesnt go all the way around

http://www.graphic-express.com/k368-s10.asp
Old 9/30/10 | 10:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Old 9/30/10 | 11:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

The other obstacle is that my wife doesnt like my choice of stripe, and I don't like hers, altho she very much likes my color choice (Avery's "Electric Blue" metallic). I like the stripes all the down to the bottom of the front bumper, she likes them to stop at the leading edge of the hood and just below the top of the trunk. I just can't warm up to her choice, altho it looks great on 2010 Camaros. Her choice is below, my choice is below that. SO - how do we compromise?

Her choice is better. As I posted on the last page, the vinyl stripes look like crap around the trunklid medallion and other cutouts. The less stuff you have to trim around, the better.
Old 9/30/10 | 12:38 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm partial to the stripes to the bumpers, both front and rear. Just makes it look finished.

When the stripes stop short, it makes it look like they're not done putting them on.
Old 9/30/10 | 02:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Those bulge stripes remind me of the new Camaro...

Here's mine with a matte black stripe. It goes all the way to the bottom.

Old 9/30/10 | 03:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Everyone has their own preference!Get exactly what you like & forget what anyone else thinks!

With that said these are the stripes i went with.I like the look so much that I'm going to have them painted on!
Attached Thumbnails thinking about stripes on my car-b-beauty-stripes-030.jpg   thinking about stripes on my car-b-beauty-stripes-036.jpg  
Old 9/30/10 | 06:50 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by kierankelly
I'm partial to the stripes to the bumpers, both front and rear. Just makes it look finished.

When the stripes stop short, it makes it look like they're not done putting them on.

Totally agree. I don't deny that the decal kits are probably less-than-perfect when routing around the satellite radio antenna and the rear faux gas cap. But I'll take that to get the full-drape stripes!

As for the other stripes that DO stop short (at bulge or just short of the front edge of the hood), I definitely prefer the kits that have the little pinstripe going around the outside of the main stripe. And I don't HATE any of those at all; it's just my preference that I want them all the way to the bottom on my car. I think the stop-short ones look much better on the Camaro (which my wife likes the look of too, but her favorite is the new Challenger) for some reason. I am guessing it's the body panels seams and shapes.
Old 9/30/10 | 07:22 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by chutoyy

Please post rear and sides as well! great looking car
Old 9/30/10 | 09:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by chutoyy

Beautiful!!!

Quick Reply: thinking about stripes on my car