Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

MGW or Barton

Search this Thread

Old 6/4/16, 06:40 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by shaneyusa
I too am considering if this is right for me. The stock shifter is sloppy and it would be nice to have something more precise. The MGW shifter is the one on my wish list, but waiting until next Spring to pull the trigger. The vibration noise is my biggest concern and the primary reason I have not done the mod yet. Love to hear input on how to minimize the NVH. Is the mod worth it for a 5000k per year cruiser?
This is my issue with the mgw too. I've heard varying reports on nvh. I'm now considering just keeping my steeda bracket, getting the Barton bracket, or getting a steeda triax or Barton. I'll check back here to see what the answer to your question is.
Old 6/4/16, 07:38 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Barton bracket solved my 2 to 3rd miss with no real increase in noise. I just added the shifter and like it but there is increase in noise. Sounds like a small supercharger wine at high rpm. I love the shifter at the drag strip.
Old 6/5/16, 07:06 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have a Barton short throw along with the 2 post. The throws are nice and although it doesn't completely fix the 2nd-3rd shift 100%, the shifts are way shorter and feel much more positive. Would highly recommend
Old 6/5/16, 08:23 AM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
I have the older MGW, not the newer race spec. I have been very happy with it for the last couple of years. I like the way it replaces everything and not just certain parts. It appears to be a more complete solution to the M82 shifting issues. I did not notice any additional nvh when I installed, but I am not real susceptible to vibration and the trans is noisy to begin with. I have not driven the Barton, but I saw an FRPP short throw, which I understand is made by Barton, broken last weekend at Sebring. It ruined the guys weekend when on the first day the shifter snapped off.
Old 6/6/16, 07:33 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Hard to tell from the video, but sounds a bit familiar to what i heard when my park brake release button would vibrate. Took me forever to figure out where it was coming from. One day i pressed the button on the handle and it stopped. Could that be it?

Mine will occasionally buzz when it's warm over 3000rpm. Some WD40 did the trick.
It's definitely not the park brake button. I'll get a better video of it next time I drive the car. It happens now always around 4k+ rpm. I can hold the shifter tight and it will get muffled when I do that. I can feel the vibration in the shifter too.

Originally Posted by shaneyusa
I too am considering if this is right for me. The stock shifter is sloppy and it would be nice to have something more precise. The MGW shifter is the one on my wish list, but waiting until next Spring to pull the trigger. The vibration noise is my biggest concern and the primary reason I have not done the mod yet. Love to hear input on how to minimize the NVH. Is the mod worth it for a 5000k per year cruiser?
It's up to you, because it annoys me. I can't really hear it with music turned up loud, but I don't always want the music on loud. It really helped with the grinding gears I had with the stock shifter. But it's still vert notchy and clunky putting it into gear. I honestly think maybe my transmission is garbage. It slides into 4th gear like butter, very smooth, no resistance. But in 2nd and 3rd there is resistance and a very notchy feel. It is unlike ANY manual transmission I have ever used. Only 11K miles on the car tho...
Old 6/6/16, 07:35 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by EF1
I have the older MGW, not the newer race spec. I have been very happy with it for the last couple of years. I like the way it replaces everything and not just certain parts. It appears to be a more complete solution to the M82 shifting issues. I did not notice any additional nvh when I installed, but I am not real susceptible to vibration and the trans is noisy to begin with. I have not driven the Barton, but I saw an FRPP short throw, which I understand is made by Barton, broken last weekend at Sebring. It ruined the guys weekend when on the first day the shifter snapped off.
You can't compare the two MGW shifters...they are completely different mounting designs. The older one uses the bracket system like stock, while the new one has arms that mount to the transmission itself
Old 6/6/16, 10:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I installed the Ford Racing (Barton) Shifter and Bracket. I almost never have my radio on. I prefer to listen to the car. But I do not daily drive mine either. So when I am in the car it is for the sole purpose of driving it. I am VERY particular about NVH. Ask my wife!... But I heard no real change in NVH when I made the change. You may feel a slight change in the vibrations through the shifter. Not too noticeable. That I attribute to the Bracket. The only real negative I have and it is minor is with second gear. I never remember having to be patient with second before the install. And this only occurs when cold. But it seems like I have to shift slowly from first to second when cold. It doesn't just fall in. Once warm it is ok. Every other shift is absolute butter. Even 4 - 5. I also notice that when spirited driving... Once I am in second I have to remember not to keep pressure backwards on the shifter. Otherwise I hear the Gear/Synchro noise. That is the only noticeable noise with it. It seems these transmissions are kind of a roll of the dice with what you will get. The same product can produce different results on different vehicles. I knew the transmission was the point of concern when I purchased this vehicle. So I can't really get too upset if it doesn't shift how I think it should. I am happy with my purchase. For the money I would not hesitate.
Old 6/19/16, 07:55 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I went ahead and installed a steeda triax. I figured if it didn't solve my problems, I could step up to the mgw later. So far, it's really good. It fixes my concerns. I'll give a better review once I've had it longer. There is some noise but bad at all.
Old 6/20/16, 07:04 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. V
I went ahead and installed a steeda triax. I figured if it didn't solve my problems, I could step up to the mgw later. So far, it's really good. It fixes my concerns. I'll give a better review once I've had it longer. There is some noise but bad at all.
Love to hear it & look forward to reading your review!

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 6/20/16, 08:46 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have the Barton short throw with the 2 post bracket and a Steeda trans bushing. All together helped with shifting immensely and all were a breeze to install
Old 6/20/16, 10:51 AM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
+1 MGW
Old 7/12/16, 01:35 AM
GT Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Wrong year forum I know but.....;

Can't speak for Barton as I bought the MGW flat stick for my 05 and I LOVE it! 5 turns out and it's incredibly short, just the perfect amount of notchy feel to give it that mechanical "connected" feeling. I couldn't be happier.
Old 7/12/16, 06:13 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

You guys that don't have MT82's really shouldn't be contributing because the designs are completely different. No offense or anything
Old 11/13/16, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hate to bring this thread back from the dead but which version of the MGW racespec does every one recommend? "X-spec" standard/low? or "Standard" standard/low? i was thinking about standard low profile....
Old 11/15/16, 07:23 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

omg, NOW they offer a shorter throw shifter??? Ugh!!! that pisses me off. I have just the regular race spec
Old 11/15/16, 11:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I'm ordering the X-Spec low profile today. MGW offers any of their new shifters at a discount for previous owners. I have a buddy who's going to buy my current one and BF bracket for $350 so it's hardly going to cost me anything to upgrade. I hope the much shorter throw is okay!
Old 11/16/16, 06:36 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

having to R/I the shifter is such a b--- though
Old 11/17/16, 12:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Awesome! Will be looking forward to hearing thoughts on the short throw version