2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

I did it...test drove the new S550, my thoughts compared to my 12

Search this Thread

Old 3/25/15, 12:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Bmw are overrated. Plus the M3 is not that much lighter . I have driven BMWs and i am not impressed with them. They do handle good, but my car with a slight suspension modification and live axle has really impressed me.

Well, I guess everyone has their own impressions. The car I traded in on my '14 GT was a Z4 Coupe with sport suspension. My Mustang weighs about 250 pounds more than the Z4, has a live axle and a higher center of gravity. If we're talking about differences in how the car "feels," the difference between that car and my Mustang are night and day.

I guess that's why I would characterize the difference between the '14 and '15 GT as almost negligible. There may be some minute differences, but relatively speaking its the same basic experience (and its an experience I like- the Mustang is just as fun to drive as the Bimmer, its just a different experience). Now, if you could put the Coyote in the Z4... drool!
Attached Thumbnails I did it...test drove the new S550, my thoughts compared to my 12-z4smb.jpg  
Old 3/25/15, 01:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wildsailor
Ah, yes...see, my point I tried to make earlier...exactly. You already have a 2014 GT. It becomes a matter of perspective. What if you were driving a 2012 Focus SE Sedan and wanted to get another Mustang like you had before the appliance like Focus (er...like me )? If I already had a 2010-2014 Mustang I would not have given the S550 a second glance. This is totally okay. I liked my 2004 V6 before it went off to college with my son and if I were still driving it I may not have even looked at an S550 in that case either! LOL....
I was driving a 2012 STI when I made the mistake of stopping at a Steeda dealer in May. My 2014 GT TP Premium w/Recaros came right out of the dealer with Steeda HD Strut Mounts, Steeda Sport Springs, Steeda Panhard Bar and Brace, Steeda STB, Boss 302 Manifold, Steeda CAI, Boss 302 Side Exhaust, and a custom 93 tune. Just waiting for warmer weather to install my Koni Sports and Steeda LCA's. It still is ending up costing me less than a stock 2015 GT PP would have so for me it was monetary also.
Old 3/25/15, 01:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Varilux
Bmw are overrated. Plus the M3 is not that much lighter . I have driven BMWs and i am not impressed with them. They do handle good, but my car with a slight suspension modification and live axle has really impressed me. Well, I guess everyone has their own impressions. The car I traded in on my '14 GT was a Z4 Coupe with sport suspension. My Mustang weighs about 250 pounds more than the Z4, has a live axle and a higher center of gravity. If we're talking about differences in how the car "feels," the difference between that car and my Mustang are night and day. I guess that's why I would characterize the difference between the '14 and '15 GT as almost negligible. There may be some minute differences, but relatively speaking its the same basic experience (and its an experience I like- the Mustang is just as fun to drive as the Bimmer, its just a different experience). Now, if you could put the Coyote in the Z4... drool!
Ok fair enough, is your 14 gt stock? Because i think the stock gts handle like crap lol. The difference in handling from the mods below was night and day for me.

Last edited by Wild5.0; 3/25/15 at 01:41 PM.
Old 3/25/15, 02:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok fair enough, is your 14 gt stock? Because i think the stock GTs handle like crap lol.

Mods are in my signature as well- just stiffer rear springs and upgraded LCAs.

I wouldn't characterize the '14 GT's handling as "crap." (As a marketer, I would probably try to come up with a positive term, like "enigmatic." ) Its not that it can't handle quite well- you just have to stay on top of it to make it handle well (vs. a car that basically just keeps you completely out of trouble with minimal/no effort). The only aspect of the handling that just drove me crazy was the wheel hop (which I've got about 90% resolved).

The absolute WORST part of the car isn't the handling anyway- its the shifter.
Old 3/25/15, 03:09 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
I was driving a 2012 STI when I made the mistake of stopping at a Steeda dealer in May. My 2014 GT TP Premium w/Recaros came right out of the dealer with Steeda HD Strut Mounts, Steeda Sport Springs, Steeda Panhard Bar and Brace, Steeda STB, Boss 302 Manifold, Steeda CAI, Boss 302 Side Exhaust, and a custom 93 tune. Just waiting for warmer weather to install my Koni Sports and Steeda LCA's. It still is ending up costing me less than a stock 2015 GT PP would have so for me it was monetary also.
Sounds like a bad mistake, lol ...
Old 3/25/15, 04:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tj@steeda
Sounds like a bad mistake, lol ...
Best mistake I ever made!!
Old 3/26/15, 05:56 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Plim
I think R&T mentioned the driving dynamics Burton. The S550, remains planted on the road, while the Boss was a drifting riot. I'd rather have the fun drifting riot!
Hey pascal. Yes, like I said the s550 drives probably better, and faster around a road course etc. but it doesn't necessarily mean more fun or something I prefer . I prefer the one that bites you back if you're not careful.

Frankly, I don't much care which is faster. I'm more interested in how the car feels. S550 is very different in feel compared to the S197. That's odd, because I think they both feel very similar- i.e. like the heavy sports cars they are. Having felt both, the difference was negligible. An IRS is not going to fix heavy- if they want the car to be a nimble Euro-type ride, they need to shed some serious weight and get things a bit more compact. Don't get me wrong, I like the way my '14 handles (sometimes a fight to see who is going to handle whom ), but coming out of a much lighter BMW you definitely feel the weight of the car fighting against you- and the '15 does nothing to solve this. If the '15 were 400 pounds lighter and just tons more nimble, then yes- perhaps it would come down to performance. But a 1.5 second difference on a 85 second road course says "go with whichever looks better" to me.
Oh it's VERY different. Like I said, most folks will probably say the s550 feels better and that's ok. It feels more car like etc. But that's fine. I'd prefer it too for a daily commute. But for a fun car? No sir. Just my preference, not saying it's right, but give me my old s197

Originally Posted by kylerohde
So, all you guys that think the rough edges and crudeness of the S197 makes it a muscle car (and the lack of those things makes you dislike the S550), what do you think of the Challenger? It's the softest of the three and still rides on a 10+ year old Mercedes platform.
Challenger at least what I drove before sucked. Talk about floaty and heavy . Maybe the new ones are better???
Old 3/26/15, 06:54 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5

Hey pascal. Yes, like I said the s550 drives probably better, and faster around a road course etc. but it doesn't necessarily mean more fun or something I prefer . I prefer the one that bites you back if you're not careful.

Oh it's VERY different. Like I said, most folks will probably say the s550 feels better and that's ok. It feels more car like etc. But that's fine. I'd prefer it too for a daily commute. But for a fun car? No sir. Just my preference, not saying it's right, but give me my old s197

Challenger at least what I drove before sucked. Talk about floaty and heavy . Maybe the new ones are better???
Of course the Challenger is floaty and heavy. What do you think the 70's Challenger was? They were big, heavy, floaty with big displacement muscle.

Chrysler designed a retro Challenger and they were spot on. Its the most retro and true design of the three pony cars back to the originals. The Challenger was and is not a carve corning muscle car. That's what's so awesome about the car and its design.
Old 3/27/15, 07:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As an early adopter of the last refresh (ordered in February '09) I remember the exact same comments being levied against the 2010 (i.e., "too quiet", "too refined", "I like the rawness of the '05-09'").

Everything old is new again!
Old 3/27/15, 12:37 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by WeinerDog
As an early adopter of the last refresh (ordered in February '09) I remember the exact same comments being levied against the 2010 (i.e., "too quiet", "too refined", "I like the rawness of the '05-09'").

Everything old is new again!

Lol. So true. I would imagine majority of tbose people still don't like the 2010 plus models.
Old 3/27/15, 12:47 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
Of course the Challenger is floaty and heavy. What do you think the 70's Challenger was? They were big, heavy, floaty with big displacement muscle.

Chrysler designed a retro Challenger and they were spot on. Its the most retro and true design of the three pony cars back to the originals. The Challenger was and is not a carve corning muscle car. That's what's so awesome about the car and its design.
You know what's sad... is if I were in the market again for "Something" similar to my S197 in terms of old school power, feel, ride, etc., I would probably really consider a hellcat or camaro, as blasphemous as that sounds.
Old 3/27/15, 01:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
You know what's sad... is if I were in the market again for "Something" similar to my S197 in terms of old school power, feel, ride, etc., I would probably really consider a hellcat or camaro, as blasphemous as that sounds.
I haven't driven a Camaro but I have to think it feels more like the S550 than the S197...since it has an IRS just like the Challenger.
Old 3/27/15, 01:52 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by kylerohde
I haven't driven a Camaro but I have to think it feels more like the S550 than the S197...since it has an IRS just like the Challenger.
True. The S197 is definitely one of a kind. Reason why I bought it. I test drove the camaro back in 2012... it was "ok". Visibility sucked, and just the feel of driving a Chevy felt weird.

In other words, just bring back the S197.
Old 3/27/15, 02:20 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I would definitely buy a Hellcat if I could afford one. I like the Camaros too but I don't think I would buy one. I love the larger engines of both cars.
Old 3/27/15, 04:56 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

How dare you. Ha ha ha. Just kidding.
Old 3/27/15, 11:52 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
Just back from the vancouver car show. Sadly nothing ford has in it's new lineup appeals to me. nothing. first time ever! However I like the stingray and the ZL1 though
Severla s550's there but as nice as they are they don't draw me in

BUT...

Of course porsches stole the show

Last edited by DarrenGT; 3/27/15 at 11:53 PM.
Old 3/27/15, 11:53 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 2012 GT is a better looking car than the '15. Looks like a Mustang, and yes, drives a bit raucous, like a Mustang. I can't pick a '15 Mustang out in a crowd, but it's easy to find a pre- '15 Mustang. THAT's a mistake.
Old 3/28/15, 12:42 AM
GT Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Bmw are overrated. Plus the M3 is not that much lighter . I have driven BMWs and i am not impressed with them. They do handle good, but my car with a slight suspension modification and live axle has really impressed me.

Well, I guess everyone has their own impressions. The car I traded in on my '14 GT was a Z4 Coupe with sport suspension. My Mustang weighs about 250 pounds more than the Z4, has a live axle and a higher center of gravity. If we're talking about differences in how the car "feels," the difference between that car and my Mustang are night and day.

I guess that's why I would characterize the difference between the '14 and '15 GT as almost negligible. There may be some minute differences, but relatively speaking its the same basic experience (and its an experience I like- the Mustang is just as fun to drive as the Bimmer, its just a different experience). Now, if you could put the Coyote in the Z4... drool!
I think it would be a mistake to put a Coyote in something that ugly!
Old 3/28/15, 04:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone else noticed that ford advertises the 2015 GT on their website under specs with 435 HP with a disclaimer in parenthesis (93 octane) ? The 420 rating on the outgoing 2014 had no such disclaimer. Anything to this?

http://www.ford.com/cars/mustang/specifications/
Old 3/28/15, 06:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2014GHIGGT
Has anyone else noticed that ford advertises the 2015 GT on their website under specs with 435 HP with a disclaimer in parenthesis (93 octane) ? The 420 rating on the outgoing 2014 had no such disclaimer. Anything to this?

http://www.ford.com/cars/mustang/specifications/
Probably the lawyers again.

Quick Reply: I did it...test drove the new S550, my thoughts compared to my 12