The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2010-2014 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/)
-   -   I did it...test drove the new S550, my thoughts compared to my 12 (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/i-did-test-drove-new-s550-my-thoughts-compared-my-12-a-535771/)

FromZto5 2/24/15 08:03 PM

EDIT: ADDED THOUGHTS ON DRIVING THE 5.0, non track pack. (3/21/15)
Alright… I was able to stew on it for a little bit, and gather my thoughts.

I have to admit, I wasn't expecting much going in. I got to the dealership mid morning, and I saw the S550 5.0 sitting waiting for me. It's the 3rd time or so, that I've seen the car in person. Again, due to increased subjectivity, I'll refrain from commenting much on the looks of it versus the S197. I'll just say that, seeing it the 3rd time makes it easier on the eyes :jester: (You'll see in the pics that despite the BIRD DOO DOO, I still drove it LOL). I parked Marilyn next to her and took some photos for better comparison. You guys be the judge of which looks better ;)

Anyways, I started her up and took her for a 15 minute drive. My dealer and I know each other pretty well so they just throw me the keys and off I go. I took a host of photos beforehand which I'll share below.

Overall, as most of you expected, driving the 5.0 is a much better experience than when I drove the Ecoboost. Amazing what "power" does to the senses, eh? Might I add that this also had the 6 speed manual and the 400A package. So no track pack, etc. That probably would have changed my view somewhat.

The ride itself is still very refined. Not as isolated as the Ecoboost I tested earlier, but still much more isolated than mine. Good thing or bad thing? eh, depends on what a person is looking for. Bumps on the road and overall steering feel were very similar to the Ecoboost. Very different from my car. It's still a little too "refined" for me, especially for a "toy car".

The transmission/shifter/clutch were VERY different from mine (when stock). This one was very easy to drive. The clutch had initial resistance when depressed, but then gave in wayyyy too easy upon take up. After a few start and stops, I got the hang of it and was smooth. Which do I prefer? I would prefer this style tranny and clutch if I was driving this DAILY. But I prefer the stiffness of mine for when I'm really ready to romp it :)

The power/engine was decent. Again, very "refined". I wish I could describe it better. It really is THAT. It's unlike the S197, in that it seems more modern, more up to date. Is that necessarily a good thing? To some/most people, probably. Do I like it? Yes and no… I'll explain below.

I finally figured out how to describe the new 5.0 S550. I drive an Acura for my daily, and it's a refined, muted, entry luxury ride. Imagine transplanting a mustang V8 engine (albeit a more refined one) into an Acura (or even a Euro car, say a Volkswagen GTI or Audi A3). In other words, you get ALL the creature comforts and civility and refinement of a pseudo luxury car, but with MORE power. That's the best way I can describe it. Very simple, actually.

Again, that's what Ford wanted, they wanted a global car, modernized, but still tried to maintain its roots. Ford has succeeded no doubt. It made my current mustang feel "old" with the way it rode, shifted, and sounded. Yes, I mean that. The new Mustang feels NEW. My mustang feels "old" (insert other words like unrefined, raw, old school, etc). But…some people, like me, PREFER that "old"ness. :)

Does that mean I don't LIKE the new S550? no, it doesn't mean that. Would I BUY it if I had 40k to burn? Sure. If I bought it, it'd be for DAILY use, not for a toy. It's that kind of a car. Easy to drive, easy to look at, a car that "makes sense". My wife actually asked me, would you really buy it if we could burn 40k? hmmmm I thought of that for a while, but decided, if I wanted a fun daily car, I'd get a Subaru STi for 38k. I dunno… I just like more of the raw feel for a car. It's tough.

In summary, the new S550 5.0 for me is a great car. I really enjoyed driving it, particularly the 5.0. Would I give up Marilyn for the new one? Never. Ever. Would I get it alongside it? Maybe. Problem is, when you reach the 40k realm, there's a lot of cars that match it at that price. Nothing feels like the S197 anymore, and that's what I love. Maybe the GT350??? :)

http://s20.postimg.org/d1il9a3cd/DSC_0131.jpg

http://s20.postimg.org/96f76pk6l/DSC_0135.jpg

http://s20.postimg.org/8uxqty3ql/DSC_0134.jpg

http://s20.postimg.org/xoccrpt2l/DSC_0137.jpg

http://s20.postimg.org/abeb97cz1/DSC_0132.jpg

http://s20.postimg.org/gqdc5vjot/DSC_0140.jpg

http://s20.postimg.org/6uc968dwt/DSC_0143.jpg

http://s20.postimg.org/906k0qhd9/DSC_0142.jpg

http://s20.postimg.org/vq5otq0kt/DSC_0145.jpg

==========================================

I know it's an "old" subject, one that's been debated many times. But I just wanted to share MY OPINION (again, humbly, I state that this is just my opinion.) and not persuade someone one way or another. This is a forum so I wanted to share my thoughts and I welcome yours.

I've been meaning to test drive one for a while now. I of course am biased towards my 12 (how can I not be?) but I wanted to finally be able to give a valid opinion on the car. Obviously I couldn't give one until I physically was able to walk around the car, touch it, feel it, hear it, and of course drive it.

My dealer had 2, both verts, one ecoboost one 5.0, both autotragics, errrr I mean automatics :). We only got to drive the ecoboost. I will drive the 5.0 this spring.

I'm not even going to bother sharing my thoughts on the looks of the car as it's been debated infinitely and everyone's sick of the topic. I'll just say that it's a great looking 2 door sporty coupe. I prefer my generation :)

I want to focus on the "core". I want to focus on what makes a mustang a mustang.

It's a very refined car. It rode well. Really well in fact. That new suspension really does wonders on the road. Took it on the highway and a few turns. It felt nice inside. High quality interior. Nice. Blocked out road noise good. Steering was responsive.

But you know what? To me, it was a little "too" refined. It was too muted. Dare I say generic? In other words, if you blindfolded me and had me ride in (drive? If that was possible lol) 5 of the most current 2 door sport coupes on the market today, I wouldn't be able to tell which is which. To me, that's where the issue for me lies. I just felt isolated from the car and from everything around me. Emotionless.

In my opinion, in it's attempt to go "global", to appeal to a larger "generic" audience, the current mustang lost its "raw-ness", if that's even a word. I bought a mustang because of how it felt. How it sounded. How it drove. Even in stock form, I remember just sitting in the dealership parking lot and just holding the steering wheel, revving the demo car in neutral and smiling. It felt like a mustang. Perhaps it's because I drove an ecoboost, I get that. But I guess I'm saying the new mustang for me didn't invoke any of the emotion I get in my current mustang or even when it was stock. I want to FEEL the car. The road. The sound. I close my eyes and I know I'm in a mustang. In this car, take the steering wheel pony emblem out, and you wouldn't know what car you're in since it's so generic.

I told my dealer buddies my thoughts too, and I plan to return in spring to drive the 5.0. Maybe it'll be different. But maybe I'm just not used to the new mustang and its new suspension etc.

Either way, I got home. Looked at Marilyn. Got inside. Closed the door. And smiled.

I love my car.

:)

P.s. For those of you that have also driven the new s550, what were your thoughts compared to the s197 you owned or drove? Same thoughts as mine? Different?

lakeguy77 2/24/15 08:20 PM

Thanks for that review. I haven't driven one yet, but I like reading these kinds of reviews. I'm getting this general impression from a lot of people. The reason I fell in love with the Mustang and finally got one is because it felt unique, special, and had that rawness, like you have to tame it. It's a car you build a rapport with. The more I read words like "refined" and "smooth" and those sorts of things, the more I feel like the S550 lost the exact thing that put me into my car in the first place.

Thanks again man, great review.

SONICBOOST 2/24/15 08:31 PM

Good review. I sat inside a PP 2015 5.0 and I have to say I was impressed with the features and functions. I did not drive it because I felt like I would have bought it but I did start it up and it sounded good. You have a supercharged 5.0, the ecoboost didn't have a chance lol I definitely agree and love the rawness of our cars compared to the S550!

Edit- must add that I sat in the S550 before I bought my 2014. No way would I trade or sell my 2014 for the 2015!

Stevedotmil 2/24/15 08:31 PM

Great review of what you thought of it. I actually went during my lunch break and sat in the same build version that I'm thinking about picking up should I sell the Mistress. Here are my thoughts just from sitting in it, starting it up and doing a walk around.

Build quality - There have been quite a few problems associated with this topic and this new generation. I checked the front quarter panel bolts to see if they had been touched up from the factory because of panel misalignment. Sure enough there were the tell tale signs from an adjustment. To me this should never be an issue. The salesman was even scratching his head. I liked the interior and the fact that even in the base model EcoBoost the seats are power and have push button lumbar adjustment. The feel of the interior when I touched all the buttons was quite "generic" as you have stated. I did like the new guages and the layout of the radio. The toggles on the bottom of the center console are cool too. Push button start, meh. I liked the new cup holder design from a driving perspective.

Vision - I peered into the back seats and there just didn't seem to be a whole lot of room compared to my 13' back there. I looked into the side mirrors and didn't care for the hips in my view either. Looking over the hood I didn't like the fact that I couldn't see where the front of the car was.

Engine - I just started it, heard it run, rev'd a little and then turned it off. In the short time that I was sitting there looking around the heat had kicked in rather nicely. It was a manual car so when I went to engage the clutch I could've sworn that I was sitting in a Honda. It was almost as if the pedal wasn't there. There was no feel to it. I didn't like that at all. I like to know by feel when the clutch is going to engage. Not raw enough for me. The shifter engages smoothly and I liked the lift-ring reverse better than the push-down that we have. The EB is a heck of an accomplishment when we are talking the tech aspect of it all. Twin scroll turbos aren't cheap and are very durable. As I checked out the engine bay all I kept looking at was the fact that there is a lot of space in there. That, and the dang prop rod that they keep putting into the Mustang. Really guys, you couldn't have updated that too?

Trunk - I opened the trunk and there's a ton of short room back there. Meaning that there's less height. The fact that a spare is an option and not standard is something else that bothered me. It's not a Bimmer with Run Flats. Lighter yes, more convenient, No. The opening was smaller as well so if I were to pick up something larger than a medium sized suitcase and try to insert it I feel like I would have some trouble. Just too Camaroesque for me.

I would get the Performance Pack with the Recaro seats after checking out the new diggs. The cost of upgrading that stuff would outweigh the extra 3K in options. I didn't like the rear spoiler either so that would be a deleted option, which I think it is with the PP. I could get said car for less than 26K delivered for me to pick up when I got back and stepped off the plane. I think I will pass on the new Mustang because it lacks a lot of the "feel" that I need to have even in a Sports car or pretend one anyway. I would much rather buy a fully optioned Fiesta ST for less money and then have full suspension on it and get more utility should I need to put the rear seats down and use the hatchback or carry some passengers down there. One of the 10 best "Driver's Cars" according to MT listed right behind the new M3/4 cars. Yes please. More fun less money and certainly a good "feeling" while I'm at it. Potential to be a monster after you spend a bit changing stuff, of course. Guys have hit 9's in the 1/4 with the turbo car. I am just not sold on it. I still have to actually drive one before I make my final decision. I'm a road race guy anyway. These are my Non-Feelings on the subject. :dunno:

FromZto5 2/24/15 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by lakeguy77 (Post 6901913)
Thanks for that review. I haven't driven one yet, but I like reading these kinds of reviews. I'm getting this general impression from a lot of people. The reason I fell in love with the Mustang and finally got one is because it felt unique, special, and had that rawness, like you have to tame it. It's a car you build a rapport with. The more I read words like "refined" and "smooth" and those sorts of things, the more I feel like the S550 lost the exact thing that put me into my car in the first place. Thanks again man, great review.

Thanks man! Yes I'm in the same boat. The question I did ask myself was: if I never owned a mustang before and was in the market today, if I test drove the s550 today, would it have wooed me the same way my 12 did 3 years ago? Better yet, would I have bought one? Hmmm

Originally Posted by SONICBOOST (Post 6901919)
Good review. I sat inside a PP 2015 5.0 and I have to say I was impressed with the features and functions. I did not drive it because I felt like I would have bought it but I did start it up and it sounded good. You have a supercharged 5.0, the ecoboost didn't have a chance lol I definitely agree and love the rawness of our cars compared to the S550!

Haha thanks sir! Yes, I do have a modded ride now, but I did state that even when stock, the 12 was raw-er. This new one is very euro feeling. Kind of like the preppy kid in college as opposed to the wild kid. Lol.

Originally Posted by Stevedotmil (Post 6901920)
Great review of what you thought of it. I actually went during my lunch break and sat in the same build version that I'm thinking about picking up should I sell the Mistress. Here are my thoughts just from sitting in it, starting it up and doing a walk around. Build quality - There have been quite a few problems associated with this topic and this new generation. I checked the front quarter panel bolts to see if they had been touched up from the factory because of panel misalignment. Sure enough there were the tell tale signs from an adjustment. To me this should never be an issue. The salesman was even scratching his head. I liked the interior and the fact that even in the base model EcoBoost the seats are power and have push button lumbar adjustment. The feel of the interior when I touched all the buttons was quite "generic" as you have stated. I did like the new guages and the layout of the radio. The toggles on the bottom of the center console are cool too. Push button start, meh. I liked the new cup holder design from a driving perspective. Vision - I peered into the back seats and there just didn't seem to be a whole lot of room compared to my 13' back there. I looked into the side mirrors and didn't care for the hips in my view either. Looking over the hood I didn't like the fact that I couldn't see where the front of the car was. Engine - I just started it, heard it run, rev'd a little and then turned it off. In the short time that I was sitting there looking around the heat had kicked in rather nicely. It was a manual car so when I went to engage the clutch I could've sworn that I was sitting in a Honda. It was almost as if the pedal wasn't there. There was no feel to it. I didn't like that at all. I like to know by feel when the clutch is going to engage. Not raw enough for me. The shifter engages smoothly and I liked the lift-ring reverse better than the push-down that we have. The EB is a heck of an accomplishment when we are talking the tech aspect of it all. Twin scroll turbos aren't cheap and are very durable. As I checked out the engine bay all I kept looking at was the fact that there is a lot of space in there. That, and the dang prop rod that they keep putting into the Mustang. Really guys, you couldn't have updated that too? Trunk - I opened the trunk and there's a ton of short room back there. Meaning that there's less height. The fact that a spare is an option and not standard is something else that bothered me. It's not a Bimmer with Run Flats. Lighter yes, more convenient, No. The opening was smaller as well so if I were to pick up something larger than a medium sized suitcase and try to insert it I feel like I would have some trouble. Just too Camaroesque for me. I would get the Performance Pack with the Recaro seats after checking out the new diggs. The cost of upgrading that stuff would outweigh the extra 3K in options. I didn't like the rear spoiler either so that would be a deleted option, which I think it is with the PP. I could get said car for less than 26K delivered for me to pick up when I got back and stepped off the plane. I think I will pass on the new Mustang because it lacks a lot of the "feel" that I need to have even in a Sports car or pretend one anyway. I would much rather buy a fully optioned Fiesta ST for less money and then have full suspension on it and get more utility should I need to put the rear seats down and use the hatchback or carry some passengers down there. One of the 10 best "Driver's Cars" according to MT listed right behind the new M3/4 cars. Yes please. More fun less money and certainly a good "feeling" while I'm at it. Potential to be a monster after you spend a bit changing stuff, of course. Guys have hit 9's in the 1/4 with the turbo car. I am just not sold on it. I still have to actually drive one before I make my final decision. I'm a road race guy anyway. These are my Non-Feelings on the subject. :dunno:

Steve, thanks for your input. I share the same. The interior is definitely nice in quality, but again, it was devoid of the mustang feel. If they could've kept the better quality but still somehow made it "feel" like a mustang as opposed to any other generic 30-40k vehicle, that would've been nice.

I also agree with you on the room in the back. It was tight before, it's even more so now.

As I stated above, if I didn't have my current mustang and was in the market for a 40k toy car, I'm not quite so sure I'd pick the new S550. :dunno:

Mr. V 2/24/15 09:36 PM

I think I'm looking at this a little different. If I compare my 12 gt to almost anything, I don't think there is another car I'd choose instead. I looked at the new mustang and if I was buying a new car, it would be my choice. I can't think of a new car in the same price range that's more to my liking.

Stevedotmil 2/24/15 10:11 PM

If I was spending 40K there would be way different options in my head than a new Mustang for sure. A couple of them are actual European cars. M3, M5, 911, Cayman S come to mind just to name a few in that bracket.

DarrenGT 2/24/15 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Stevedotmil (Post 6901953)
If I was spending 40K there would be way different options in my head than a new Mustang for sure. A couple of them are actual European cars. M3, M5, 911, Cayman S come to mind just to name a few in that bracket.

yes i would agree. There are even some japanese cars i'd consider.

Stevedotmil 2/24/15 10:35 PM

I wish I could swing bringing a 1994 GT-R back with me from here. I would if I could. What cars from Japan would you consider?

Racered14 2/24/15 10:48 PM

I have read lots of these posts and have never commented because they had already deteriorated into a monkey poo-flinging fight, so glad I got in early. I have a 14 GT TP and u get the same feeling as the op. Great review by the way. I tested a 15 GT and REALLY enjoyed it. Pulls great, corners really well and didn't have the hop off the line that I get. Steering was smooth, seating was smooth, cornering was smooth. Felt really good about the car, not a Massive fan of the exterior but it is better in person and is growing on me, just as it did when the fox body got left behind. After the test, I got out, looked at the car and did like what I saw.
Then I got back into my 14 and did the same drive and took the salesman along. The ride was harder, wheel hop still there, more noise in the cabin and rough feeling still present. And it felt so much better to me for some reason (my opinion folks). I just felt like I enjoyed it a bit more, a little more worried about my safety (lol) and just a bigger grin.
When it was all over I dropped the salesman back at the dealership, thanked him and said maybe next year. He smiled and said he doesn't blame me, that was a fun ride. I don't hate the 15 like some do, but it just felt tame, hopefully it takes a step back next year because I can't afford a GT350R which I am pretty sure would work for me just fine.

Stevedotmil 2/24/15 11:00 PM

Well said. I think the concensus is the same across the board for those of us who like to "drive" our cars and not just float around in them.

Mr. V 2/25/15 12:30 AM

Maybe I didn't write it well. I meant a brand new car. I totally agree that with a 40k budget and opening up your options to used cars, there are far superior motors out there. The m3 is one of my favorite cars. I could afford one used but I couldn't afford the maintenance. I used to have a 325is and the parts alone with me doing the labor was murder.

FromZto5 2/25/15 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. V (Post 6901942)
I think I'm looking at this a little different. If I compare my 12 gt to almost anything, I don't think there is another car I'd choose instead. I looked at the new mustang and if I was buying a new car, it would be my choice. I can't think of a new car in the same price range that's more to my liking.

Originally Posted by DarrenGT (Post 6901957)
yes i would agree. There are even some japanese cars i'd consider.

Originally Posted by Stevedotmil (Post 6901959)
I wish I could swing bringing a 1994 GT-R back with me from here. I would if I could. What cars from Japan would you consider?

If I were in the market today for a 40k toy car? Good question and I thought about that. I tell you what, based on my test drive it would not be the new S550 :(. Sadly.

I'll get crucified for saying this, but I'd probably consider the Camaro SS lol. And dare I say it again, challenger. Ugh. I can't believe I uttered those words. I want raw. I don't want refined. If I did, it'd be the M3 for even more $$$. I dunno. That's a tough question. I want a raw mustang!

Originally Posted by Racered14 (Post 6901962)
I have read lots of these posts and have never commented because they had already deteriorated into a monkey poo-flinging fight, so glad I got in early. I have a 14 GT TP and u get the same feeling as the op. Great review by the way. I tested a 15 GT and REALLY enjoyed it. Pulls great, corners really well and didn't have the hop off the line that I get. Steering was smooth, seating was smooth, cornering was smooth. Felt really good about the car, not a Massive fan of the exterior but it is better in person and is growing on me, just as it did when the fox body got left behind. After the test, I got out, looked at the car and did like what I saw. Then I got back into my 14 and did the same drive and took the salesman along. The ride was harder, wheel hop still there, more noise in the cabin and rough feeling still present. And it felt so much better to me for some reason (my opinion folks). I just felt like I enjoyed it a bit more, a little more worried about my safety (lol) and just a bigger grin. When it was all over I dropped the salesman back at the dealership, thanked him and said maybe next year. He smiled and said he doesn't blame me, that was a fun ride. I don't hate the 15 like some do, but it just felt tame, hopefully it takes a step back next year because I can't afford a GT350R which I am pretty sure would work for me just fine.

You're welcome. Some folks here already know me, and that's my style. I give my opinion, and solicit others, but do it in a controlled, tactful manner :). Lol. But yes, I share your EXACT sentiments on the car. I'm so glad I'm not alone.

Originally Posted by Stevedotmil (Post 6901966)
Well said. I think the concensus is the same across the board for those of us who like to "drive" our cars and not just float around in them.

100% agree. Makes me wonder if we, fall in the global audience ford is targeting. Am guessing not :(

killaz05 2/25/15 06:02 AM

To make it a world car, the mustang became a sports car. It is no longer a muscle car or a pony car which is a problem people are having with the new car. I rode in my friends mustang before it met its unfortunate end (I posted about it in the 2015 forum). The car rode nice and tight. The interior had awesome features and the technology was really cool. The 5.0 does help give it something extra but even compared to my v6, it doesn't have that rawness that when you go to redline in 1st and shift to second causing those tires to squeel. That feeling that makes you yell out wooo! right after.

The new mustang again is a great sports car but not a muscle car. Do I want one? Sure maybe one day in the future and I have my sights set on the GT350R but for now I am pleased with my v6.

imeyers302 2/25/15 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by FromZto5 (Post 6901984)
If I were in the market today for a 40k toy car? Good question and I thought about that. I tell you what, based on my test drive it would not be the new S550 :(. Sadly.

I'll get crucified for saying this, but I'd probably consider the Camaro SS lol. And dare I say it again, challenger. Ugh. I can't believe I uttered those words. I want raw. I don't want refined. If I did, it'd be the M3 for even more $$$. I dunno. That's a tough question. I want a raw mustang!

You're welcome. Some folks here already know me, and that's my style. I give my opinion, and solicit others, but do it in a controlled, tactful manner :). Lol. But yes, I share your EXACT sentiments on the car. I'm so glad I'm not alone.

100% agree. Makes me wonder if we, fall in the global audience ford is targeting. Am guessing not :(

If I had to get a new car to replace my 2014 GT it would have to be the Challenger Scat Pack. Its the only one of the three that still looks like a muscle car. And I would not care how much faster a mustang is around a track. Or how much lighter it is.

CriticalmassGT 2/25/15 06:08 AM

Too refined.

That phrase interests me, because when I purchased my 2014 the first thing I thought was that it was so quiet inside I had to roll the windows down to hear the exhaust, even with the GT500 axleback on it. I wouldn't want the cabin any quieter than it already is. That said, I do think some of the interior touches (such as the toggle switches) are the best part of the car. The rest doesn't really interest me.

I am 100% sure the new Mustang will appeal to a LOT of people. It just doesn't appeal to me, right now. (I say this because when I first saw the 2013's front end, I thought the headlights made it look cross-eyed, but it grew on me. lol).

barebone- 5.0 2/25/15 07:44 AM

I've always been a ford guy, and more accurately a focus guy... Driving a 2006 zx4 st then upping to the 2013 focus st Until it met its demise and sort of found myself in the mustang community. In needing a new car and always having a desire for a mustang, I finally found myself driving a much more raw and less refined car than my 2013 ST.

I fell for the Mustang due to the color immediately, then after driving it the raw attachment to the car itself... I lost a lot of creature comforts going from a loaded ST to a track pack base GT... No more nav, keyless entry, push button start, recaro leather, etc. the ST was a driver's car, but largely more refined and polished.

The GT just pulls at the heartstrings of a young American. Loud, proud, American muscle, but still a competent drivers car.

I find myself at an impasse at times... I could have waited and got the more refined and newer s550... But I don't think I would have fell as violently in love with the car. My favorite thing about my 2014 Gt is that I can shut everything off! All the screens, digital read outs, and everything and just DRIVE without shift lights for economy coming on, or MPG screens etc.

I miss the creature comforts for daily driving... But then I rev the engine and feel the rawness through the shifter, the dynamics of a high power rwd car are hard to let go of. I find myself thinking the new mustang is better for those who have never driven a mustang at all, and the ones that fell in love with the flaws of the s197 and back... Well they don't fully appreciate the "improvements" made on the new car.

I find myself thinking it would be a more comfortable DD, or a great car for my girlfriend... But is a MUSTANG built to be a comfy dd? Don't get me wrong, I drive my 5.0 every day, no garage, out in the cold right now. But it's not intended to be an M4. It's supposed to be a mustang, the embodiment of American spirit. The rawness and visceral driving experience brought me to the mustang brand, and I don't think the new and "better" version would have done the same... I might be driving a completely different car.

FromZto5 2/25/15 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by imeyers302 (Post 6901994)
If I had to get a new car to replace my 2014 GT it would have to be the Challenger Scat Pack. Its the only one of the three that still looks like a muscle car. And I would not care how much faster a mustang is around a track. Or how much lighter it is.

Exactly! You know, I was thinking... my next upgrade I always wanted was a Shelby. But if that's gone now, for 65k, I'd take a Challenger Hellcat. Blasphemy I know. But you see, that's the rawness I crave :(

But realistically, for 40k tops? Another car I'd consider strongly (since my buddy has one and I've been in it) is a Subaru STi. Talk about raw. Hey, it's a 4 cylinder turbo, just like the ecoboost S550. But I think I'd smile more in that car.

Originally Posted by CriticalmassGT (Post 6901995)
Too refined.

That phrase interests me, because when I purchased my 2014 the first thing I thought was that it was so quiet inside I had to roll the windows down to hear the exhaust, even with the GT500 axleback on it. I wouldn't want the cabin any quieter than it already is. That said, I do think some of the interior touches (such as the toggle switches) are the best part of the car. The rest doesn't really interest me.

I am 100% sure the new Mustang will appeal to a LOT of people. It just doesn't appeal to me, right now. (I say this because when I first saw the 2013's front end, I thought the headlights made it look cross-eyed, but it grew on me. lol).

Did I hit the nail on the head with that comment? Too refined? I really do believe so. Ford definitely hit/will hit its target market with that car. It's supposed to appeal to a larger audience, and it does.

But for people like me, and I would think most people on this forum, it's a drastic change... perhaps it's something that will change over time. But for that reason alone, I'm hanging on to my beloved '12 for dear life :)

Originally Posted by barebone- 5.0 (Post 6902012)
I've always been a ford guy, and more accurately a focus guy... Driving a 2006 zx4 st then upping to the 2013 focus st Until it met its demise and sort of found myself in the mustang community. In needing a new car and always having a desire for a mustang, I finally found myself driving a much more raw and less refined car than my 2013 ST.

I fell for the Mustang due to the color immediately, then after driving it the raw attachment to the car itself... I lost a lot of creature comforts going from a loaded ST to a track pack base GT... No more nav, keyless entry, push button start, recaro leather, etc. the ST was a driver's car, but largely more refined and polished.

The GT just pulls at the heartstrings of a young American. Loud, proud, American muscle, but still a competent drivers car.

I find myself at an impasse at times... I could have waited and got the more refined and newer s550... But I don't think I would have fell as violently in love with the car. My favorite thing about my 2014 Gt is that I can shut everything off! All the screens, digital read outs, and everything and just DRIVE without shift lights for economy coming on, or MPG screens etc.

I miss the creature comforts for daily driving... But then I rev the engine and feel the rawness through the shifter, the dynamics of a high power rwd car are hard to let go of. I find myself thinking the new mustang is better for those who have never driven a mustang at all, and the ones that fell in love with the flaws of the s197 and back... Well they don't fully appreciate the "improvements" made on the new car.

I find myself thinking it would be a more comfortable DD, or a great car for my girlfriend... But is a MUSTANG built to be a comfy dd? Don't get me wrong, I drive my 5.0 every day, no garage, out in the cold right now. But it's not intended to be an M4. It's supposed to be a mustang, the embodiment of American spirit. The rawness and visceral driving experience brought me to the mustang brand, and I don't think the new and "better" version would have done the same... I might be driving a completely different car.

Sir... I read your post 2 times. And the quote that I bolded and enlarged, I read that part more than 2 times. Bingo. That's a perfect description of what's happened. It's funny, because I ask myself that question, and I think it would be impossible for me to answer truthfully and without bias.

"If I've never driven or ridden in a mustang prior to yesterday's test drive, would I have fallen in love with car I drove yesterday? The new S550???"

^ the answer to that I will never know... but I'd think with all the options out there today, I would be hard pressed to. When I drove my '12 for the first time, I tested 5 other cars. And that Mustang struck something in me. Yesterday's did not.

CriticalmassGT 2/25/15 09:01 AM

I believe you did hit the nail on the head with that comment.

I also have to wonder how all the additional soft-touch material will hold up over the years. The Camaro's dashboard has an issue where it is cracking at the seams that are there to help allow the airbag to deploy on the passenger side. Granted, Ford's interiors have always been better than GM, and the passenger side airbag in the new mustang is built into the glove box door I believe?

I don't mind the few bits of hard plastic in my car at all, but then again my first car was a 1957 Ford Fairlane and everything in it was steel except for the bench seats. We even had to add seatbelts because back then they were an "optional accessory" It was a tank that only the new Challenger could live up to. :)

I definitely did not buy my Mustang to have Suede interior (that stains and is hard to clean). I bought it for the heritage and the visceral experience of driving it.

tom281 2/25/15 09:04 AM

I'm happy with the improvement from when I jump from my 92 Fox to the 14 Roush. That's good enough for me lol.